The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Raindance
It's definitely a two way thing. It'd be hypocritical if you rewarded a child for being good, if you didn't discipline them for misbehaving. That's the way it's always been for me.

I agree with you, smacking (which in my opinion doen't equate to violence) isn't always the answer. But there are instances where it is necessary, where just telling them not to do it won't suffice.

Absolutely, you should discipline children for misbehaving, and the naughty behaviour should result in a negative consequence. However, the negative consequence shouldn't be a threat of violence from a parent!
Reply 81
puppy
I think if children aren't intelligent that's their parents fault. Children who don't understand how to follow rules and behave properly, haven't been taught it by their parents.

This is the nature versus nurture debate again, with strong evidence on both sides showing that you're inherent characteristics have as much influence on how you turn out, as the environment you're raised in. :smile:
Reply 82
gossip_girl
my sisters were hit and i was when i was younger, but when my mum trys to hit me now i hit her back

:eek: r u serious :eek:
when i was young i used to get hit. with bare hands, or rolled-up mag's, or even the flexible bamboo wood thingee (dunno the name) that some people use to hit their pets if they get really naughty

i haven't been hit since i was 13 i think? but 2 months ago my dad threatened to hit me cos he found out about my eating disorder and said i was being stupid and if i don't get well the next day (which was chinese new year), he would hit me for real. so the next day, to save my ass and to make sure i don't jeapordise my chance to study vet abroad...i pretended i somehow miraculously recovered overnight.
alkaeda
:eek: r u serious :eek:

yep if my mum trys to hit me i'll smack her right back.
edit: and thats the same with anyone, but usually my mum just trys to hit me and i move out of the way or catch her hand or something.
gossip_girl
yep if my mum trys to hit me i'll smack her right back.
edit: and thats the same with anyone, but usually my mum just trys to hit me and i move out of the way or catch her hand or something.

if i (or most asian kids) do that...we'll literally get kicked out of the house or worse.

my caucasian friends used to not understand why i couldn't tell my parents to shut up. but the more chinese they know...they more they realise that things just don't work that way.
Reply 86
I don't know why everyone is so surprised by gossip_girl saying she'd use force on her mum if she tried to hit her. Just look at what her and her sisters have been through; she's got the right to stop someone from hitting her. I wouldn't hit my mum - ever - but if my dad hit me I'd smack him one back. Nobody get's one over on me! You can't be a pushover, even if they are your parents.
eurasianfeline
if i (or most asian kids) do that...we'll literally get kicked out of the house or worse.

my caucasian friends used to not understand why i couldn't tell my parents to shut up. but the more chinese they know...they more they realise that things just don't work that way.

thats so true, but i can tell my mum to fu*k off and all the stuff but not without her shouting at me etc....
red_roadkill
I don't know why everyone is so surprised by gossip_girl saying she'd use force on her mum if she tried to hit her. Just look at what her and her sisters have been through; she's got the right to stop someone from hitting her. I wouldn't hit my mum - ever - but if my dad hit me I'd smack him one back. Nobody get's one over on me! You can't be a pushover, even if they are your parents.

exactly! and if i push or hit my mum its nothing to what my sister did to her once.
gossip_girl
thats so true, but i can tell my mum to fu*k off and all the stuff but not without her shouting at me etc....

in asian society...swearing at your parents / telling them to shut up is unforgivable. i slipped once with a "shut up" and i was basically...IN DEEP TROUBLE (won't go into details)
Reply 90
My uncle lives in hong kong :smile:

Is it any good their?
Cortez
My uncle lives in hong kong :smile:

Is it any good their?

it depends on the family. some asian parents are very western, others are not. mine are very traditional, but some of my chinese friends have very western parents.
Reply 92
gossip_girl

You would swear at your Mum?
Am I the only one that just can not swear at a parent? It just doesn't seem right to me. I really hate my Dad sometimes yet I won't even think about swearing around him, or even telling him to go away/shut up.
Reply 93
eurasianfeline
in asian society...swearing at your parents / telling them to shut up is unforgivable. i slipped once with a "shut up" and i was basically...IN DEEP TROUBLE (won't go into details)

No offence, but that's just not fair, is it? I understand the concept of respecting parents, I respect my parents a lot and don't swear to them and I'm not rude, but if they hit me I wouldn't take it, why should I? Just because they're your parents doesn't mean they have complete control over you; you have your human rights!
Reply 94
Am I the only one that just can not swear at a parent? It just doesn't seem right to me. I really hate my Dad sometimes yet I won't even think about swearing around him, or even telling him to go away/shut up.

I used to tell them to piss off but i dont really get in trouble anymore. My brother whos 14 tells them to **** and stuff aswell.
eurasianfeline

well thats what it was like for my sisters when they were younger, except my mum was really violent
Generally I think hitting a child teaches them violence so I don't really agree with it. But if my child was just about to run in front of car I think its a different story because it is so important they NEVER do that again.

I was smacked when I was younger, I don't have a fettish for violence. I don't think I'll bring up my chidren in the same way though.
Luize

yes, and they swear back at me. Who cares about swearing?

MB
Luize

you're not alone.
Reply 99
Who cares about swearing?

Exactly. Its only another word in the language after all :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending