False recognition Watch

This discussion is closed.
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. Is it right to receive false recognition and be honoured for something that you haven't done and don't deserve?

I'll see what you all say, and i'll elaborate if necessary.
Elle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. Is it right to receive false recognition and be honoured for something that you haven't done and don't deserve?

That really depends on the situation...
Petrozzi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)

I demand you to own up now.
G4ry
Rep:
?
I'll elaborate.

For about 3 months my maths teacher was away, and i had no tuition. My dad complained about it. When it came to June i didn't do as well as i hoped in maths. My dad wrote to the school saying he felt let down by them as they were'nt helping me that much with getting in to universities.

About 2 weeks ago i got a letter from the school to receive a prize for contribution to the school community and a £25 voucher. The reason i don't feel i deserve it is because i haven't done anything for the school community. I feel it is the school trying to buy me and it is merely a good will gesture.
Jesus09
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I'll elaborate.

For about 3 months my maths teacher was away, and i had no tuition. My dad complained about it. When it came to June i didn't do as well as i hoped in maths. My dad wrote to the school saying he felt let down by them as they were'nt helping me that much with getting in to universities.

About 2 weeks ago i got a letter from the school to receive a prize for contribution to the school community and a £25 voucher. The reason i don't feel i deserve it is because i haven't done anything for the school community. I feel it is the school trying to buy me and it is merely a good will gesture.
Are you a christian? More importantly are you a good christian? If so, then keep it.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I'll elaborate.

Complain to the school yourself (but not before taking the money) to let them know that your still not happy

Maybe youve done something for the school community but don't know it?!?
G4ry
Rep:
?
No i'm not a christian. I just believe in principles and i feel i shouldn't get recognition for something i did not work for and am just getting it because the school feels guilty.
Petrozzi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
No i'm not a christian. I just believe in principles and i feel i shouldn't get recognition for something i did not work for and am just getting it because the school feels guilty.
Agreed.
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Even if it's a goodwill gesture i would take the money. If thy screwed you over with you maths lessons then you could see it as compensation.
On the other hand, you might have genuinely made a positve contribution to the school and thus been rewarded, although it seems a bit strange to be picking up a prize now, why not at the end of the year or presentation evening? Depends really on how moral you are. personally being a broke student i'd take the money but if you feel bad you could alway give it to charity and make your views known to howevre id giving you the prize.

See how many other people have been given letters though before you decide anything.
G4ry
Rep:
?
So if i don't wish to accept it, should i send the vouchers back and write a letter, or don't turn up. I'm not sure how to go about it.

The thing is my parents would like me to get the award and it looks good. But i'm not so convinced about accepting it.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Just to make it clear, it's a book voucher, and you're supposed to buy a book with the voucher and give it to the school to give to you.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
So if i don't wish to accept it, should i send the vouchers back and write a letter, or don't turn up. I'm not sure how to go about it.

The thing is my parents would like me to get the award and it looks good. But i'm not so convinced about accepting it.
It sounds to me like you'd feel guilty if you did. So to drive point home I would personally hand the vouchers back to whoever gave them with a letter AND a verbal complaint
G4ry
Rep:
?
I don't know if i'd feel guilty. But i think i'd feel embarassed when i go up on the stage to receive an award and know that everybody else knows i was not active in the school community. They wouldn't say anything obviously, but i'd know myself.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I don't know if i'd feel guilty. But i think i'd feel embarassed when i go up on the stage to receive an award and know that everybody else knows i was not active in the school community. They wouldn't say anything obviously, but i'd know myself.
Well could you ask whoever is giving you the prize why they are giving it?
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
thing is they probably have lots of these awards and you're probably more deserving than you think. Its a bit of a shame though that you get vouchers. I got cash (i think) last year for my presentation evening. What was really funny though was that different departments gave different prizes. Me and me friend got money wheras the poor sods that got awards for it got study guides hahahah
G4ry
Rep:
?
I guess i could, but i work and don't really find the time. I'll have to make the itme, but i think they'd just make something up.

They're not obviously going to say because we let you down and we want to make it up to you.
Elle
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I guess i could, but i work and don't really find the time. I'll have to make the itme, but i think they'd just make something up.

They're not obviously going to say because we let you down and we want to make it up to you.
No but if they don't come up with a specific reason then just say to them that you would rather not have the award but would like to lodge another complaint against your maths teacher .. they might even up it to £50
G4ry
Rep:
?
Another annoying thing is my friend told me that everyone who went to university received £40 in cash. I'm going to university so why didn't they give me? Also my friend who's at university didn't receive the money. SO perhaps i should tell them that i prefer the £40 cash.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Another annoying thing is my friend told me that everyone who went to university received £40 in cash. I'm going to university so why didn't they give me? Also my friend who's at university didn't receive the money. SO perhaps i should tell them that i prefer the £40 cash.

If i was in your situation, i would hope that i would send the money back to the school governors with a note stating that these funds should be put to better use SUPPORTING their pupils....
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
take the prize and dont give it a second thought....im sure you contributed to the school comunity just by being there.

love Katy ***
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.14%
No (204)
72.86%

Watched Threads