Turn on thread page Beta

Derren Brown: esp or trickery? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Having seen Derren Brown: A Trick Of The Mind a few times now, i have started to wonder if there really is anything in esp and mind reading. Before, i dismissed them in the same manner that i dismissed God - no reliable evidence, but this guy really is amazing. Views anyone?

ReputationRep:
    he can make you believe that hes reading your mind though.

ReputationRep:
    psycological (sp)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveManUK)
    he can make you believe that hes reading your mind though.
    MY mind? nope, but i wouldn't expect that because im watching him via a tv.

ReputationRep:
    Trickery, by his own admission. In fact, he makes a point of telling the audience so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyChemist)
    MY mind? nope, but i wouldn't expect that because im watching him via a tv.
    well if ur watching on tv then its different. other peoples then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shazzam)
    psycological (sp)
    well, i wondered about that but it just doesn't seem possible. an example that he often successfully repeats is to pluck a number or image or whatever out of a person's mind without knowing anything about them, and with them being perfectly still (as far as is possible).

ReputationRep:
    well if ur watching on tv then its different. other peoples then.
    do i think he's reading other people's mind? as far as i can see, there's no other explanation. u ever seen the show?

ReputationRep:
    do i think he's reading other people's mind? as far as i can see, there's no other explanation. u ever seen the show?
    It's all psychology. He even showed how some of it was done once.

ReputationRep:
    It's trickery. He reads people, but not their minds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zurich)
    It's trickery. He reads people, but not their minds.
    maybe, but that does seem a little far-fetched. i know, i know - esp seems far fetched, but to be able to walk up to someone and tell them what they are holding in their heads... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    He himself denies that it is ESP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inverurie Jones)
    It's all psychology. He even showed how some of it was done once.
    ok - i'd like to focus on his ability to tell what people what they are thinking without them in any way consciously telling him - apparent mind-reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inverurie Jones)
    He himself denies that it is ESP.
    does he? at the start of the program he says that he uses showmaship, trickery and other things, one of which that he mentions is clearly magic (the first one in fact).

and sometimes he does tell people offhand that he doesn't know how he does it, but i don't put much faith in that.

ReputationRep:
    ok - i'd like to focus on his ability to tell what people what they are thinking without them in any way consciously telling him - apparent mind-reading.
    he can read faces quite well. when a person of thinking of a word and tells them to repeat it over and over again in their head they are giving away signals which can be interpreted as letters and words. also, he is looking at responses of people when he talks.

ReputationRep:
    He is skilled at reading people. He has trained his mind to do things and pick up on things that most people's minds do not.

Obviously we will never know exactly how, but he reads people's expressions, breathing, eye movement etc..

ReputationRep:
    does he? at the start of the program he says that he uses showmaship, trickery and other things, one of which that he mentions is clearly magic (the first one in fact).

and sometimes he does tell people offhand that he doesn't know how he does it, but i don't put much faith in that.
    yer he has done shows where he reveals some of his secrets

ReputationRep:
    That red BMX one was hilarious. As was the arcade 'House of the Dead' experiment.

ReputationRep:
    crazy-chemist = you should take a look into NLP for Dummies, you get in on amazon. Also there are numerous websites that tell you the simple things Derren does.

ReputationRep:
    he can read faces quite well. when a person of thinking of a word and tells them to repeat it over and over again in their head they are giving away signals which can be interpreted as letters and words. also, he is looking at responses of people when he talks.
    No, he uses body language/hand signals/speech to sort of "place" a certain number/word in peoples mines, as hes "placed" it, he knows what it is.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.