The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Have a look at the website, shows you how some of it is done!

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/M/mindcontrol/index.html
Reply 21
Daibhidh
crazy-chemist = you should take a look into NLP for Dummies, you get in on amazon. Also there are numerous websites that tell you the simple things Derren does.

really?! whats the website please?
Reply 22
python05
Have a look at the website, shows you how some of it is done!

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/M/mindcontrol/index.html

link doesnt work

does now
Reply 23
CrazyChemist
Having seen Derren Brown: A Trick Of The Mind a few times now, i have started to wonder if there really is anything in esp and mind reading. Before, i dismissed them in the same manner that i dismissed God - no reliable evidence, but this guy really is amazing. Views anyone?

I voted for no - even Derren himself has said that it's about behavioural study.
No hes just amazing at mind trickery and reading and projecting body language :rolleyes:
imasillynarb
No, he uses body language/hand signals/speech to sort of "place" a certain number/word in peoples mines, as hes "placed" it, he knows what it is.

No, thats not in the one i was thinking of. Certainly its not true all of the time.
Reply 26
Dont forget that this is tv so all the times he's failed has been cut out. Hes not always 100% correct, and Im sure he uses hypnosis sometimes.
Reply 27
rt6
Dont forget that this is tv so all the times he's failed has been cut out. Hes not always 100% correct, and Im sure he uses hypnosis sometimes.

Sometimes he gets it wrong on tv
Reply 28
anyone that voted yes is stupid. even he admits it is misdirection and suggestion.
Reply 29
wow - ok, my faith in rational thought is restored. thanks :smile:
Reply 30
its all to do with leading movements/questions/directions etc.. on the programme last night where he asked the author to select a book he used a mixture of the above to make him pick an exact book.. not sure how he made him select that exact page or word that was pretty amazing..
Reply 31
isnt it darren brown?
Reply 32
CrazyChemist
Having seen Derren Brown: A Trick Of The Mind a few times now, i have started to wonder if there really is anything in esp and mind reading. Before, i dismissed them in the same manner that i dismissed God - no reliable evidence, but this guy really is amazing. Views anyone?

I think he's just extremely intelligent and has got the art of interpreting body language and influencing others by means thereof down to a very fine art. To me, it's not really that unbelievable that a person with such abilities might exist - there are many people with 'unbelievable' gifts in mathematics for example, why shouldn't there be people with 'unbelievable' gifts in reading/influencing by body language?
Reply 33
izzy_hattie
isnt it darren brown?

No - it's Derren
Reply 34
Derren Brown is a unique force in the world of illusion - he can seemingly predict and control human behaviour.

He doesn't claim to be a mind-reader, instead he describes his craft as a mixture of magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship.

Whatever you choose to call it, his unparalleled performances amaze and unsettle all those who watch him. This is a powerful and provocative form of entertainment, unlikely to be imitated for a long while.

from his won website
Reply 35
He is quite impressive.

Zain
I think he links into unconscious parts of people - that's a psychological thing, but he seems to do it deeply - don't understand it at all! Then there's more superficial things he does like the suggestion etc. Imagine knowing him in real life - scary!
Surely it isnt mind reading. I voted No, but only because the only explaination i can think of is that he uses actors e.g on friday when he selected 3 people from the crowd, they could be people who he has trained before hand and the others could be just general public, but surely that would get out? The one where he said the word POP would be the one the author would choose and he said this even before the author has randomly selected the book, page and word.
Reply 38
izzy_hattie
isnt it darren brown?

Get out.
Reply 39
john williams
the only explaination i can think of is that he uses actors

He doesn't use actors, it is all for real. How he does it is explained earlier in the thread.

Latest

Trending

Trending