Phys A2- Capacitors Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mimo
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
This was on the Edexcel Practical paper, and I can't work it out, please help.

Why is important to connect the capacitor the right way round?

...should it be something to do with safety?
Thank you!
F1 fanatic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mimo)
This was on the Edexcel Practical paper, and I can't work it out, please help.

Why is important to connect the capacitor the right way round?

...should it be something to do with safety?
Thank you!
I think its to do with the way its made. If you had it the other way round the electric field would go in the opposite direction & it would break it. I dont think it would blow up or anything like that... you'd just break a perfectly good capacitor.
Imaad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
it will stop workin if u put it the rong way round. i thinki t blows something up inside.
Mimo
(Original post by Imaad)
i thinki t blows something up inside.
:rofl:
Mimo
[QUOTE=F1 fanatic]I dont think it would blow up or anything like that... QUOTE]
:heeeellll :stickyman

Thanks for the help!
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't know the answer to this either.
bump!
habosh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
because the chemical reaction would reverse on the capacitor and the deelectric will break up,it's because it's an electrolytic capacitor there are capacitors which it doesn't matter in what polarity you will connect them
F1 fanatic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by habosh)
because the chemical reaction would reverse on the capacitor and the deelectric will break up,it's because it's an electrolytic capacitor there are capacitors which it doesn't matter in what polarity you will connect them
yeah - thats what I was trying to say... but very badly. A capacitor of that type is made of paper coated in a thin foil and soaked in electrolytic gel. Its then rolled up very small and rammed in a metal container. If you run it backwards you run the charge through the gel rather than the foil I think and the thing evaporates itself and basically goes kaput. :rolleyes: Di-electrics - gotta love em :cool: :p:
habosh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by F1 fanatic)
yeah - thats what I was trying to say... but very badly. A capacitor of that type is made of paper coated in a thin foil and soaked in electrolytic gel. Its then rolled up very small and rammed in a metal container. If you run it backwards you run the charge through the gel rather than the foil I think and the thing evaporates itself and basically goes kaput. :rolleyes: Di-electrics - gotta love em :cool: :p:
electrolytes are so annoying I love the simple connect me the way you want caps :p:
nageen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
could u plz email me the practical past papers for physics.i have no papers at all.
plz either type them and then send me.
i need some papers to get an idea how the look
plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (142)
45.95%
Pro-humanity (167)
54.05%