The TSR Islamic Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
zaaks786
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Zuber)
As i said earlier, i would try to cover a topic that i feel the qu'ran may not have covered. And this applies to me directly. it is the subject of vegetarianism. I am an aspiring vegetarian, however i must often betray this to satisfy my parents. My parents believe that it is completely non-muslim to not eat meat, and very much like Hindus.
My sister too doesnt agree and says you must eat because Allah has provided for us. Now i am not going to argue that Allah has not put animals on this planet for us to eat, because he has (and for other reasons). You can see this in nature with all the different food chains in an ecosystem, and therefore it was wrong to eat meat, it would not be so in nature.
The problem i have with it is that our eating animals is not natural but far from it. These animals are all raised with the intention to being slaughtered for meat. And these animals are raised in the poorest conditions (most of the time) - look on this thread for an example http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t108120.html

I am sure that it does happen with halal meat too. I have seen (from experience) that Muslims are very often as money driven (sometimes more!) than big corporations, and hence will sacrifice morals for profit.

Another problem i have is that today science is much more advanced. This means that we can have a completely balanced diet without any meat whatsoever. this was nowhere near possible in the time of the revelation of the Qu'ran. It just seems to me that Allah is offering me an alternative. However it seems that in this instance the Qu'ran is working against me - i.e. animals are put here to be eaten.

Anyone have any views on this? thanks.
Are there any other muslims that don't feel too comfortable with eating meat?

Yes the Quraan does tlk about meat and animals being slaughterd to eat but it does not condemn vegetarianism and if u jus wanna eat veggies...go ahead!Allah also put plants and such like here for us too eat as well!The Quraan is not working against you it tells you that meat is there for you to eat but sooo are veggies so if you dnt wanna eat meat u r not going against wat u beleive.
Wa Salaam
Zuber
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by zaaks786)
Yes the Quraan does tlk about meat and animals being slaughterd to eat but it does not condemn vegetarianism and if u jus wanna eat veggies...go ahead!Allah also put plants and such like here for us too eat as well!The Quraan is not working against you it tells you that meat is there for you to eat but sooo are veggies so if you dnt wanna eat meat u r not going against wat u beleive.
Wa Salaam
I will be a vegetarian no matter what. Just while i am under the roof of my parent's house i will abide by their rules. But sure enough as soon as i go to uni will be a fully fledged veggie (who eats fish and eggs! -mainly for protein).
I know the Quran doesnt directly condemn vegetarianism, but i think one potential reason for this is that noone was ever vegetarian in the time that it was revealed, hence would have looked VERY odd to condemn something that didnt yet exist!! and btw, it couldnt have existed as anyone in those days who turned veggie died, or lived an extremely malnutritioned life (or so i think).
However many muslims have talked to this about me, and i have yet to find another muslim who is a veggie. It seems that the trend is the older you get, the less change you want. Hence the more liberalist view on TSR, for this i praise all of you. Elder muslims have told me that it would be better if i ate meat. and then said something that i found really stupid - "you don't want to be like hindus do you?". LOL.
finally, at the end of the day, i think that even if vegetarianism was condemned in the quran i would still be one. I hold the belief that Allah has put these morals inside of me, and so even if these conflict with the quran, i must follow. the only other option is eating something i am uncomfortable with for the rest of my life! :rolleyes:
bengal_tiger
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Anyone have any views on this? thanks.
Are there any other muslims that don't feel too comfortable with eating meat?
yeh i agree, for starters ive heard too many stories in which supposed "halal" meat is not halal , either by fraud or the treatment of the animals prior to slaughter, so becoming a vegetarian will be the safest way of avoiding haram food,
someone else said on here that as long as u dont eat haram food, theres no problem so vegetarianism is fine
Zuber
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
True, anyway another point about veggieism is that the quran doesnt really cover this topic at all. as i said it couldnt....but then again Allah is omnipotent!
Viper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Viper)
Can i join?

Whats the punishment with regard to fornication in Islam? And does this apply to a non-Muslim?
Would anyone like to help me out on this, PM me if your more comfortable, whatever tickles your fancy.
Zuber
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Viper)
Would anyone like to help me out on this, PM me if your more comfortable, whatever tickles your fancy.
oooh, punishment for fornication. Okay, first of all, whatever the punishment for muslims is, the same applies to non-muslims. I mean, its stupid to think that God would punish the same action differently just because of diff religion.
So, i am unsure about the punishment for fornication. I think it might well be damnation. but maybe someone else could clarify. if i am wrong, the punishment will still be a damning one!
but yeah, it isnt the punishment that is important. I hate it when people do things out of fear (not saying you are). i.e. dont fornicate because you understand and accept the teachings on them - that it is a sacred bond that should not be taken for granted and only done after marriage.

However i have often thought that maybe sex in engagement is permitted with the right intentions....I mean sure, nikkah hasnt yet been performed, but in my opinion getting engaged is like being married. and if a relationship ends before the wedding, it is basically divorce. but thats only my opinion....
zaaks786
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Zuber)
True, anyway another point about veggieism is that the quran doesnt really cover this topic at all. as i said it couldnt....but then again Allah is omnipotent!

As Salaamualaikum
It does not mention it specifically but it does talk about how Allah has provided for us(ill look up quotes later!). As long as u dnt eat wat is considered haraam u shud be okey!Plus yeh alot of the elders do have this thing about being like a hindu etc....but this has nowt to do wit islam and vegetarianism so if you wanna be a veggie, lol, go ahead zuber!!!its all gud!

Wa Salaam
Zuber
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i love the liberalistic views of TSR
zaaks786
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Zuber)
i love the liberalistic views of TSR
yea my liberal views are due to islam tho!
Zuber
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think youth does have a lot to do with it as well though.
zaaks786
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Zuber)
I think youth does have a lot to do with it as well though.
Yes thts tru and cos times have changed since our parents and granparents wer young and in those times, ppl were v. aware of colour and religion and whos who etc, but now ppl are more open minded, accept change and integration more easily!
CogitoErgoSum
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Can i join please?

thanks
Abbas6
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
However i have often thought that maybe sex in engagement is permitted with the right intentions....I mean sure, nikkah hasnt yet been performed, but in my opinion getting engaged is like being married. and if a relationship ends before the wedding, it is basically divorce. but thats only my opinion....
From what I know, an engaged couple are still considered non mahrems to each other. Because the engagement is merely an agreement to marry and can be terminated at any time by either party, and so the man and wife do not share any of the rights a married couple might.
Abbas6
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by CogitoErgoSum)
Can i join please?

thanks
Yes, you certainly can!
I've just updated our Members List aswell, welcome new members!!
mkenani
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
please explain why i cannot have sex with my Islamic prince cannot touch me once he proposed???
it drives me crazy i tell you...i even asked hi to take it back!!!
tell me dears.
doodle
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Salaams y'all..TSRs gt an ISOC!thts so kewl, count me in..
doodle
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mkenani)
please explain why i cannot have sex with my Islamic prince cannot touch me once he proposed???
it drives me crazy i tell you...i even asked hi to take it back!!!
tell me dears.
hey..have u guys had a nikkah done yet?coz if u have then its alright..
Zuber
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Abbas6)
From what I know, an engaged couple are still considered non mahrems to each other. Because the engagement is merely an agreement to marry and can be terminated at any time by either party, and so the man and wife do not share any of the rights a married couple might.
You say an engagement can be terminated at any time by either party, but so can marriage.
For me i just personally think that marriage and nikkah is a formality.
CogitoErgoSum
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Zuber)
You say an engagement can be terminated at any time by either party, but so can marriage.
For me i just personally think that marriage and nikkah is a formality.

marriage is terminated after divorce proceedings. you cant end a marriage just like that. unless there's a specific reason you have to go through conselling and everything you can to try and stay together. an engagment can just be broken off with a word....
PapeeChumo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Abbas6)
The thing is in Islam we derive the laws and rules from the Holy Qur'an. The Quran says for example "Establish prayer" but the Quran does not say how we ought to pray Salah, and the do's and don'ts. For these we turn to the Sunnah of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

The Qur'an stricly forbids the consumption of intoxicants, because of the obvious harm posed by alcohol for example. In a hadith the Prophet was reported to have said that if something is forbidden in large amounts, then it is is forbideen in small amounts or quantities aswell (i.e. drinking would still be haram whether you had a pint, two three whatever).

Wassalam

Abbas

p.s. on the issue of the Islamic Society becoming official, I contacted one of the admins and got the following reply:

which I thought was quite ambiguous. So I sent another message, and have not heard anything since...

UPDATE!!!
TSR is undergoing a software upgrade soon, so no new usergroups will be created until then.

sounds suspect to say the least! :rolleyes:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (90)
20%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (181)
40.22%
Nope, not that interesting (179)
39.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise