Wa Alaaikum as Salaam Hira!
Hows things going?
Stranded
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
W/salaam Muhiba,

Um not so good...I've got a major chem quiz tomorrow. Currently worried about a Physics practical...
mizfissy815
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
W/salaam Muhiba,

Um not so good...I've got a major chem quiz tomorrow. Currently worried about a Physics practical...
Oh...I have one on Saturday. Here's an advice, study from Make the Grade and answer the questions related to the topic you're going to be tested on from it.
As for physics practicals...I feel for you...All you need to do is practice as much as you can and answer as many practical papers as you can. But the exams are pretty random so you just have to be prepared.
The Green Manalishi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Salaams Hira and Muhiba! How are you'll? I just got home... Ultra tired!!
mizfissy815
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wa Alaikum as Salaam Rashid!
I'm fine alhamdullilah. How about you?
Stranded
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mizfissy815)
Oh...I have one on Saturday. Here's an advice, study from Make the Grade and answer the questions related to the topic you're going to be tested on from it.
As for physics practicals...I feel for you...All you need to do is practice as much as you can and answer as many practical papers as you can. But the exams are pretty random so you just have to be prepared.
Thanks for the advice

No, we had practicals today (physics) & it was a disaster I can't seem find my way around practicals...we got one today from the 2005
session & it was horrible. Ii might've been your year...There was this question about the finding the density of a salt solution--?
Stranded
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
W/salaam Rashid bro...
How's you?
mizfissy815
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thanks for the advice

No, we had practicals today (physics) & it was a disaster I can't seem find my way around practicals...we got one today from the 2005
session & it was horrible. Ii might've been your year...There was this question about the finding the density of a salt solution--?
Hmm...might have been. Or it could have been my mock exam. I'm not really sure. Was there a bouncing ball question? If yes, it was my June 05 paper...if not, it was Jan 05.
If you have any difficulties...just ask around, I'm more than willing to help!
The Green Manalishi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey there peeps, im good thanks and u? Wats been going on in ur lives? Hira, i didnt read your posts exactly but i do feel ur pain! Physics lab reports were insane when i used to do it! I think we spent more time searching for the results you SHOULD get rather than doing the actual practicals! haha!
Stranded
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My teacher said that it was one of the 2005's...
I dont know about all the questions coz we only did 2.

OK look I'll tell you thie question I'm having difficulty with:

Firstly, the question required me to measure the mass of a 250 ml beaker. Then, I was required to pour some amount of salt into the bearker & measure its mass.

After that I filed a measuring cylinder with about 180cm^3 of water & poured it into the bearker with the salt. I stirred the solution.
On to the calculations bit:

"Assuming that 1 cm^3 of water has a mass of 1g & that there is no change in liquid vol. as the salt dissolves, calculate the theoretical value for the density of the salt sol."

Ok so density=mass/vol
Mass= 180g + 5g
Vol= 180

So density = 1.027cm^3

Q2] Use the apparatus provided & the top pan balance to find the density of the salt sol experimentally.

I went along this way-

I poured some of my salt solution into the measuring cylinder & then weighed the mass of this salt sol & recorded its vol.
Using these figures, I calculated the density which came out to be 1.109g/cm^3

Q3] This was a disaster!

"Estimate the % uncertainty in your value of vol of the sol"

What I did was:

I used the 'Experimentally found' density to find the vol of the sol...
Mass/vol=1.109
185/x=1.109
x=166.8cm^3

So I found out the % uncer. between my theoretical vol & my exp. vol
i.e between 166.8 & 180.

My teacher said this was wrong & that in a measuring cylinder the % uncert. is always 0.5%...she told me then to write 0.5%. :confused:
Stranded
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by rashid1988)
Hey there peeps, im good thanks and u? Wats been going on in ur lives? Hira, i didnt read your posts exactly but i do feel ur pain! Physics lab reports were insane when i used to do it! I think we spent more time searching for the results you SHOULD get rather than doing the actual practicals! haha!
The Green Manalishi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Neophyte~)

I used the 'Experimentally found' density to find the vol of the sol...
Mass/vol=1.109
185/x=1.109
x=166.8cm^3

So I found out the % uncer. between my theoretical vol & my exp. vol
i.e between 166.8 & 180.

My teacher said this was wrong & that in a measuring cylinder the % uncert. is always 0.5%...she told me then to write 0.5%. :confused:
Probably she stated the quoted uncertainty. To find the uncertainty, shouldn't you take the length and breath and height into account and then find the uncertainty in each and then multiply and use appropriate ratios to find the % uncertainty? Cant remember exactly the uncertainty formulas. Also you could use dimensional analysis couldnt you? But lets not get into that... I barely remember it..
mizfissy815
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm going to pm you about that question in just a bit...
Stranded
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
She told me that we have to memorize the fact that a 100ml measuring cylinder has 0.5% uncertainty...:confused:
Stranded
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
*sighs* I dont know what to do...I really dont...
Anyways I'll see you guys-Thanks for all the help Muhiba & Rashid bro.
Salaam
mizfissy815
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Pm sent...and Wa Alaikum as Salaam!
The Green Manalishi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Neophyte~)
She told me that we have to memorize the fact that a 100ml measuring cylinder has 0.5% uncertainty...:confused:
That's a bit stupid, if i do say so myself. One extra drop of plastic here or there could change that. Wa Alaikumus Salaams Hira.

I'm off to get some dinner and will be back soon Insha Allah!
SketchyCanvas~
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Assalamu Alaikum everyone
mizfissy815
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wa Alaikum as Salaam SC!
How's things going?
SketchyCanvas~
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Tiring, just started my chemistry coursework today, as well as needing to start my 900 word essay and nearly finished my biology coursework loll But alhamdulilah everything is well!! how you been?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (380)
79.66%
Leave (97)
20.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise