Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anisah)
    jus say u want in and u will be added to the list-that goes for anyone who wants to join
    Yep, it's really as simple as that!
    And I've just updated our members list! So a big welcome to all our new members!
    I've also just added a link to a very handy Glossary of Islamic Terms to the first page of the thread with the introduction and members list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaaks786)
    salaamz
    its wicked uve started this up, gives muslims a chance to learn more about there deen and others to do dawah work!
    oh and i want in!!!inshaalah i hope i will be able to make sum helpful contributions!
    id also like to say wicked idea..!! wel dun son!

ReputationRep:
    how do i join?
    i've said that i want to, wat now?

ReputationRep:
    count me in !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supastar)
    how do i join?
    i've said that i want to, wat now?
    Well... you're now a member of the TSR Islamic Society. Welcome

I'm afraid there are no membership cards, badges or anything of that sort! What you can do though to show your membership to the TSR Islamic Society is leave a link to the society's page in your signature. You can take part in discussions on this thread, share your knowledge of Islam with others, ask + answer questions, post anything interesting you come across, any nice websites, good reads, anything Islamic really!

ReputationRep:
    Add me in!

New memba from Manchesta!

ReputationRep:
    a little something

something http://www.indianholiday.com/india-p...sjid-delhi.jpg

ReputationRep:
    as salaamualiakum

come on ppl, dnt let this go to the 2nd page!!!

Question, i was wonderin wat the islamic view was on engagments and stuf, u kno, rules and regulations??
    im busy trying to learn about my deen,this is sumin i am curious about.
    any info wud be helpful

jazzaakallahu khair

XxX

ReputationRep:
    I read in the newspaper that something miraculous happened in a city in Pakistan. The whole town saw a red light in the sky that was shining on one thing, a mosque, and inside the mosque they found this book and the light was shining on it. Weird! I bet someone tried to trick them or summit, lol.

ReputationRep:
    certainly sounds interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaaks786)
    as salaamualiakum

come on ppl, dnt let this go to the 2nd page!!!

Question, i was wonderin wat the islamic view was on engagments and stuf, u kno, rules and regulations??
    im busy trying to learn about my deen,this is sumin i am curious about.
    any info wud be helpful

jazzaakallahu khair

XxX
    By engagements you mean in the marriage sense right?
    Engagements, in the marriage sense, are fine, but it's not a good idea to delay the actual nikah for too long after the engagement, unless of course there's a valid reason to do so. Another important point is that when a couple are engaged they are not considered married yet, because an engagement is but an agreement to marriage and so there are lots of 'rules and regulations'. If you do a search for "engagement" at sunnipath.org , which provides a Q & A section, there is loads of info!

ReputationRep:
    But What Is Considered A Valid Reason, I.e Is It A Definitive List?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anisah)
    But What Is Considered A Valid Reason, I.e Is It A Definitive List?
    I doubt there is a definitive list. It's best to speak to an Imam about this, but I think that say if the husband or wife is abroad for quite a bit, or some other practical reason like sorting out accomodation, then these might be considered reasons to delay the actual nikah. But I know this much for sure, that it is definitely not good practise to delay the nikah after engagement.
    Some scholars even say that engagements are unnecessary, since all it is in the view of the Shariah is a promise to marry, it is not the same as a marriage contract, so it is not even required and should only be done when one has to, and it shouldn't be extravagant, that is any parties or functions that follow.

ReputationRep:
    could i join please?

umm... just a bit concerned.... dont u think its a bit dangerous people answering others' queries about Islam here? most rulings a lot more complex than they seem and although we might think we have the knowledge to answer it, more often than not we dont. and of course, theres all the consequences we have to think about if we give the wrong answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbasi)
    I doubt there is a definitive list. It's best to speak to an Imam about this, but I think that say if the husband or wife is abroad for quite a bit, or some other practical reason like sorting out accomodation, then these might be considered reasons to delay the actual nikah. But I know this much for sure, that it is definitely not good practise to delay the nikah after engagement.
    Some scholars even say that engagements are unnecessary, since all it is in the view of the Shariah is a promise to marry, it is not the same as a marriage contract, so it is not even required and should only be done when one has to, and it shouldn't be extravagant, that is any parties or functions that follow.

you say a Imam but surely diff Imams will have different opinions :confused: ( I suppose there are guidelines).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous_xx)
    could i join please?

umm... just a bit concerned.... dont u think its a bit dangerous people answering others' queries about Islam here? most rulings a lot more complex than they seem and although we might think we have the knowledge to answer it, more often than not we dont. and of course, theres all the consequences we have to think about if we give the wrong answer
    Thank you for your concerns. And as you say it is indeed dangerous to talk about a topic or attempt to asnwer a question without knowing fully all the details and rulings. We are all learners here, for which reason we can't go round answering all queries about Islam. Topics such as engagements and specific rulings about this are, as you say complex, for which reason I've said it'd be better to see an Imam about the topic above and I've also referred before to other sites where topics are dealt with in more detail from the persepective of the Qur'an and Sunnah. Some things I think we'll be able to confidently answer, insha'Allah, because of the vast array of resources available to us on the internet such as numerous question and answer sites where other people have asked similar or the same questions to qualified scholars and through books such as Yusuf al Qaradawi's "The Lawful and the Prohibited in Islam" which I've not got, but am trying to get a copy of! (Yes, I know the sheikhs's a little controversial :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    Count me in 2!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbasi)
    By engagements you mean in the marriage sense right?
    Engagements, in the marriage sense, are fine, but it's not a good idea to delay the actual nikah for too long after the engagement, unless of course there's a valid reason to do so. Another important point is that when a couple are engaged they are not considered married yet, because an engagement is but an agreement to marriage and so there are lots of 'rules and regulations'. If you do a search for "engagement" at sunnipath.org , which provides a Q & A section, there is loads of info!
    slmz
    yeh in the marriage sense. thanx ill check out the website.

as 4 it bein dangerous answering ppls questions, i think tht everyone should be aware that we will try to answer their questions to the best of our knowledge, but sometimes we will only be giving an opiniion and if the info they need is really imp then we will help but i advise them to seek the answers frm sum1 who is more knowledgable about deen.

ws

ReputationRep:
    opinions usually based around some guidelines :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    Dont you think that the issue of war against islam across the world is worth of some analysis??

I will restain my own opinions till i see some of what u think, wouldnt want to "piss someone off"

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.