The TSR Islamic Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
TheWildChild
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by SketchyCanvas)
:toofunny: InshAllah i wanna do Midwifery but i wont be continuing into A2 year as im applying for a Health and Social care course for this september, interview tomorow :afraid: InshAllah will get in.

loll what subjects do you do?

aww sounds good. is that for 1 or 2 years then?? i think some of my friends are doing that actually. they seem to like it, but always seem to have lots of coursework!!

am doing, Economics, pe and philosophy and ethics aka rs :p: used to do psychology but dropped it as the teacher was a failure!
TheWildChild
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by usama-ahmed)
lol. england.

as i write this in the early hours of the morning i should be revising but i have simply lost the will to do so. bout 3hours of exams coming up- should've got a bit more sleep!

yep that souns like me- only today i cant be bothered. gonna have to do some extra emergency prayers to get me through

oooh hope it went well!
TheWildChild
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
exams started quite early thsi year dont you think. i havent even started proper deep revision yet! still condesning all my notes! lol. n makign them life savign mind maps. i think the memorising quotes and things is always night before and wake up early in the morning task for me! and it works. anyway, should stop TALKING ABOUT REVISION and catually do some! :P
The Green Manalishi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Assalamu Alaikum good folk! How is everyone today?
WaW™
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
salaam to all!

i hope n pray u all gd!
rahmara
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by hafz)
aww sounds good. is that for 1 or 2 years then?? i think some of my friends are doing that actually. they seem to like it, but always seem to have lots of coursework!!

am doing, Economics, pe and philosophy and ethics aka rs :p: used to do psychology but dropped it as the teacher was a failure!
heyyyyyyyy

i do that too

can you see me siggy bro?

heard of those quotes?

i love it

you doing AS or A2? ive got my AS exams on 8th June:rolleyes:
rahmara
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
walaykum salam bros mortimer and rashid

inshalah all is well

revisng for english

just thoufht id come back and see how everyones donig

ok then

ill be off now

asslamuakyum
Jennah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The Green Manalishi)
Assalamu Alaikum,
Abrogation and contradiction are two different things although they may be inter-related. There are verses that 'overwrite' some of the others, except in certain situations.
So they give a precedent which is in accordance with other core teachings of Islam, but some of the abrogated verses can give an alternative or provision for certain situations.
Can you please give me an example of such a verse that overwrites another one from the quran please.
Im quite confused if a hadith states something and it said to be sahih than nothing should 'over-ride' it, otherwise than it is not sahih.
I found sahih muslim and bukhari to hold quite a few contraditory hadiths. Also when reading into it i found hadeths relating to Umar beating up abu- huraira for example. Maybe you can explain these to me, i'l post up the hadith and where to find them if you want!
ChiquitaBanana
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
sure Jenneh, post the Hadith, and ill look into it
The Green Manalishi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jennah)
Can you please give me an example of such a verse that overwrites another one from the quran please.
Im quite confused if a hadith states something and it said to be sahih than nothing should 'over-ride' it, otherwise than it is not sahih.
I found sahih muslim and bukhari to hold quite a few contraditory hadiths. Also when reading into it i found hadeths relating to Umar beating up abu- huraira for example. Maybe you can explain these to me, i'l post up the hadith and where to find them if you want!
I'm no scholar but i'll give some examples that i can think of. They may or may not be what you're looking for but if you look at 2:256. It states let there be no compulsion in religion. Then there was that apostasy thread and it is thought that if apostasy was a capital crime, then that would abrogate verse 2:256, instead they use 2:256 to abrogate the Hadith given, and then say apostasy should be considered in either of two forms, major or minor.
Therefore one verse (2:256 and subsequent) takes precedent over a Hadith, which is allowed under certain circumstances.

The same way Prophet (SAW) never hit any of his wives, showing that the provision in verse 4:34 is in essence only a provision. So it should not be used, but it can be. Therefore his (SAW) actions serve to show that we should treat wives kindly and not abuse that provision.

Hope this helped... Like i say, i'm no scholar... Wait for mizfissy, she'll probably be able to put it better than i can...
Dimez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by hafz)
sheesh proms are nothing. theres alot more worse things soemone can do. my best mates a hijabi and went to our year 11 prom with her hijab on, sporting desi attire. looked lovely! its no different to going out with your mates or work for a meal or whatever, except a few people drink, theres a dance floor and people are alot more dressed up!
Wow, she wore a hijab so now it's all gravy. :rolleyes:

You really shouldn't compare yourself to kuffar. Yeah, we may be 'superior' to them in faith and belief and all, but how about when we draw comparisons with the Sahaba (RA) or the Prophet's wives or even the Prophet (PBUH) himself? Nothing. That's what we are compared to them; and here's us feeling good about ourselves relative to those who lack faith.
so my advice to person asking the question from me is to go, and take your mate too! as long as you have pure intentions and aren't doing anything sinful its fine! (i know male-female mixing isn't allowed, but hey don't we all do that anyway!?)
Let's put this into perspective: Solely because we already, knowingly, commit a certain sin there's no harm in commiting said sin more? That's what you're basically saying.

So long as you don't do anything sin it's fine? Easier said than done, I'm afraid.

With all due respect, hafz, you're taking a somewhat westernized approach to this issue; which isn't a good thing.

All the best.
TheWildChild
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by rahmara)
heyyyyyyyy

i do that too

can you see me siggy bro?

heard of those quotes?

i love it

you doing AS or A2? ive got my AS exams on 8th June:rolleyes:
btw its sis!

am doing a2. my exams on the 14th, and 21st for synoptic. what exam board are you? i cant see you sig tho sorry.
TheWildChild
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Dimez)
Wow, she wore a hijab so now it's all gravy. :rolleyes:

You really shouldn't compare yourself to kuffar. Yeah, we may be 'superior' to them in faith and belief and all, but how about when we draw comparisons with the Sahaba (RA) or the Prophet's wives or even the Prophet (PBUH) himself? Nothing. That's what we are compared to them; and here's us feeling good about ourselves relative to those who lack faith.

Let's put this into perspective: Solely because we already, knowingly, commit a certain sin there's no harm in commiting said sin more? That's what you're basically saying.

So long as you don't do anything sin it's fine? Easier said than done, I'm afraid.

With all due respect, hafz, you're taking a somewhat westernized approach to this issue; which isn't a good thing.

All the best.

i know you're right, everythign you just said so wont even argue it. lets just say im p[retty laid back about such things. sheesh im just giving you bait to use agaist me here! :p:

anyway, how are you today?
mizfissy815
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Jennah- (I love that name by the way...I'm going to name one of my daughters Jennah someday, and another Malaak(Angel). InshAllah)

As brother Rashid has already mentioned, abrogation in the Qur’an basically indicates certain verses were only applicable during a certain period of time. These verse were later overwritten by others which we should follow today. One of the most common example is the gradual prohibition of alcohol.
At first Allah(swt) warned us about the negative affects of alcohol, but did not completely forbid it.
Verse (2:219) They ask thee concerning wine and gambling. Say: "In them is great sin, and some profit, for men; but the sin is greater than the profit." They ask thee how much they are to spend; Say: "What is beyond your needs." Thus doth Allah Make clear to you His Signs: In order that ye may consider
In the next stage, use of wine was prohibited before the times of prayer to insure that no prayer time would arrive without everyone being completely sober. Allah says:
Verse (4:43) O ye who believe! Approach not prayers with a mind befogged, until ye can understand all that ye say,- nor in a state of ceremonial impurity (Except when travelling on the road), until after washing your whole body.
The absolute prohibition of wine came after the people were prepared for it. After developing this gradual course Allah(swt) prohibited it completely in Surah Al Mai’dah…
Verse (5:90-91) O ye who believe! Intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination,- of Satan's handwork: eschew such (abomination), that ye may prosper.

Satan's plan is (but) to excite enmity and hatred between you, with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah, and from prayer: will ye not then abstain?
As you can see the final verse abrogates the other 2.
This can also apply to Hadith. A sahih hadeeth is one that is authentic. This means that we are pretty sure this is in fact the words of the Prophet(saws). Whether it is overwritten by another hadeeth that comes later or not, doesn’t invalidate this one nor does it render it unauthentic. Both can be Sahih hadeeths, but one might no longer be applicable today. It’s useful in the sense, that it helps us put a timeline to certain events and possibly, give us a reason as to why the previous ahadeeth were abrogated. For example, the hadeeths that support the first verses about alcohol being bad for the health and narrate incidents about it being permissible, can be Sahih. This hadeeth however, would not be suitable guide now. It would be overwritten later by another hadeeth of the Prophet(saws) emphasizing the prohibition of alcohol.
mizfissy815
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Let me clear the fact that we do not have hatred toward Umar. We believe that he was one of the companions of the Prophet, but we do not put him in a high position since, as you witnessed partially, there are strong proofs that he did some innovations based on his own Ijtihad which were terribly wrong. We strongly believe that Fatwa does not work when there is explicit text of Quran or authentic Hadith to the contrary. Abolishing Temporary Marriage is just one example of such innovations. Even according to Sahih al-Bukhari Umar himself straightforwardly confessed that he did some innovations in prayers and said: "What a nice innovation"!!!
I truly doubt that if this is the case, he would have been one the Ten destined to go to heaven( al A’shr al mubashroon bil-Jannah) along side the other 3 Rightly Guided Caliphs(Abu Bakr, Uthman and Ali (Radiya Allah anhum).

Also regarding Saudi Arabia, they don’t even have women rights so I have no idea how you can have faith in the books they publish. They don’t even follow Islam properly in their government.
They do have women rights, but they are not implemented correctly and that is one of their major faults. I said I have faith in Saudi Arabia, when it comes to publishing Islamic books and perform Dawaas/Fatwas….and this has nothing to do with women rights or how the government follows Islam.

Fair enough, but please actually think about what I have written and said and do not dismiss it just because you have been taught that what a shia says is wrong. I would like to point out that I was not a shia before but after reading many books and researching Islam carefully I came to that conclusion.
Good luck with your exams sis.
I really don’t like it when people assume such things about me. I was NEVER taught that what Shia believe in, is wrong, I choose to follow what I do because I feel it’s the right path. I may not agree with some of the Shia beliefs but that is a conscious decision I’ve made. I have a mind of my own and I tend to do a lot of reading on most issues before making up my mind.

Good Luck to you too! InshAllah we'll all do well.
rahmara
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by hafz)
btw its sis!

am doing a2. my exams on the 14th, and 21st for synoptic. what exam board are you? i cant see you sig tho sorry.
oopsie

aplogies sis :hugs:

cool, im doing AS and my exams o the 8th.i think i said that already :confused:

Im doing OCR board and this is what my siggy says:

"Are things good because God commands them good or does God command that which is good?" :rolleyes:

"There must be a mover which moves them without being moved!":dancing2:

you heard it sis?
rahmara
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
assalmuakyum all

everyone well inshalah?
TheWildChild
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by rahmara)
oopsie

aplogies sis :hugs:

cool, im doing AS and my exams o the 8th.i think i said that already :confused:

Im doing OCR board and this is what my siggy says:

"Are things good because God commands them good or does God command that which is good?" :rolleyes:

"There must be a mover which moves them without being moved!":dancing2:

you heard it sis?
lol no worries.

ooh you been revising!? lol. yea recognise them, somethign to do with DCT and cosmological argument? or not? :confused: couldnt tell you who said them, my memory fails me again! lol

i like Socrates: " is what is pious loved by the Gods because it is pious, or pious because it is loved by the God's".
rahmara
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by hafz)
lol no worries.

ooh you been revising!? lol. yea recognise them, somethign to do with DCT and cosmological argument? or not? :confused: couldnt tell you who said them, my memory fails me again! lol

i like Socrates: " is what is pious loved by the Gods because it is pious, or pious because it is loved by the God's".
ooh

thats a good quote too

well them quotes come from unit 1, i think :confused:

and i cant seem to rembember

doing unit 2 and 3

which board you doing sis?
mortderire
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
"God is that than which no greater can be thought"

Ne1 know whu said that?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (223)
40.55%
Nope, not that interesting (218)
39.64%

Watched Threads