The TSR Islamic Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
The Green Manalishi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think the thing with free speech is that it's assumed that people would have the sincerity, dignity and respect in order for such a concept to work. That being said, some would use it as an excuse to promote personal inflamation and racial/ ethnic hurt/ offence.

Also bigrico, is it right to hurt someone else since that same thing doesn't hurt you? For example if i was brought up as an orphan am i right to label you as a mother****er or son of a ***** simple because the terms don't affect me?

Think about it... Respect, dignity and self-control.

NB: Apologies for the language, it was to make a point.
A Y A Z
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeh well tell me what you guys think... and some one can become the 'judge'.
wholl draw a list of possible candidates, stop anyone from stepping over the line, make sure that the topic doesnt get out of hand.... etc.
lil one
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by A Y A Z)
see instead of just sitting around and chatting, we can do this: convincing people on (atleast) TSR that islams not evil..
if you go to debate an discussions, youll know what im talking about.
we build a good solid base, pile our ideas and then go get em! :p:
(this is NOT a pep talk)

we need someone to play a non-Muslim. someone who can contradict all the arguments, and think 'out side' the box.

we can have a list of candidates drawn up and then vote on whos the strongest to overcome.

will give us something to do instead of just chatting!

i know some of you might have some really great ideas..
Yeh that sounds like a good idea, because within all of us we've produced a pretty nice little argument :p: .
The Green Manalishi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Rashid, you in on something like this?
In on what? ^o) Refuting Islamic claims? :p:
A Y A Z
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The Green Manalishi)
I think the thing with free speech is that it's assumed that people would have the sincerity, dignity and respect in order for such a concept to work. That being said, some would use it as an excuse to promote personal inflamation and racial/ ethnic hurt/ offence.

Also bigrico, is it right to hurt someone else since that same thing doesn't hurt you? For example if i was brought up as an orphan am i right to label you as a mother****er or son of a ***** simple because the terms don't affect me?

My point exactly.
Instead I told them to just calm down.
And no apologies required for the language. You have to animate your argument right? :p:
A Y A Z
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In on what? ^o) Refuting Islamic claims? :p:
no the little idea i just posted...
lil one
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Exactly. The concept of free speech is very subjective to be frank. Although we all have "free speech" in this country and USA..etc..we would be jailed or condemmed for saying something immoral, for example, if we praised or glorified terrorism, which is obvcourse completely and utterly wrong. In the same way, Muslims are bound to protest and stand up to the indignities of those cartoons slandering the name of our Prophet (saw).
A Y A Z
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If someone asks us on the spot: what is Islam?, we wont admit it, but most of us wont know the proper way to explain it.
I dont. I will go on about the five pillars and the obligations set on us, but ill fail to make the person realise what Islam IS.
Something like this might be a handy tool.
Dimez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by rahmara)
trust me brothers and sisters you wouldnt want to see me up on my feet and :fight:, :ts: and :boxing:. its just a complete different me.

i am nice, kind, caring etc, but when someone discriminates or criticses my religon, hell, no , you wouldnt want to be near me. :mad:
Oh how I'd love to see that version of rahmara!
The Green Manalishi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My point exactly.
Instead I told them to just calm down.
And no apologies required for the language. You have to animate your argument right? :p:
Lol illustrate the argument, yes It was crude but i've had a long and stressful day :s:

no the little idea i just posted...
Lol, that's what i meant... Yeah erm ok i guess. Not sure if it'll work but i suppose there's no harm trying...
A Y A Z
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its better than sensless chatting Rashid. :p:
Plus, we might learn something from this.
A Y A Z
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Dimez)
Oh how I'd love to see that version of rahmara!
We all would
The Green Manalishi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lil_one)
Muslims are bound to protest and stand up to the indignities of those cartoons slandering the name of our Prophet (saw).
Mind i'm not saying the protests were right, self-control works both ways
lil one
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If someone asks us on the spot: what is Islam?, we wont admit it, but most of us wont know the proper way to explain it.
I dont. I will go on about the five pillars and the obligations set on us, but ill fail to make the person realise what Islam IS.
Something like this might be a handy tool.
Thats true. I would say Islam is to submit to the will of Allah, it is peace and a way of life, a complete way (sings along to a nasheed :rolleyes: ).
The Green Manalishi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its better than sensless chatting Rashid. :p:
Plus, we might learn something from this.
Yeah no problem, i don't mind
lil one
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Mind i'm not saying the protests were right, self-control works both ways
Yep I'm not saying the protests are justified either. I think that peaceful protesting would have been ok, but then there were many banners and signs slandering Bush/Blair etc, and making remarks that would offend people in this country.
A Y A Z
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ok im off now guys.
Spread the idea.. tell others if you think its worthwhile.
I expect all the 'senior' members to back this idea.

Take care of yourself. All of you.
As-Salam alikum.
Milli
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We all would
:ditto:
The Green Manalishi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lil_one)
Yep I'm not saying the protests are justified either. I think that peaceful protesting would have been ok, but then there were many banners and signs slandering Bush/Blair etc, and making remarks that would offend people in this country.
Yep, my sentiments exactly!

Wa Alaikum Salaam Ayaz, take care also!
*Ridwan*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
to increase islam knowledge, listen to lectures and recite hadiths

also things like if people were muslims they wudnt drink thus the NHS would save money
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1015)
79.11%
Leave (268)
20.89%

Watched Threads