The Student Room Group
Reply 19860
assalumalikum

strange init i have been here for couple of weeks now and i havent joined this society,
Anyways how do you bloody join a society
DEBATE

Yesterday we had an atheist here in the ISOC. He questioned Islam, claiming Islam was evil. We did manage to see him off, but what we didn’t do was try and convince him.

Unfortunately, like him, many people believe the same thing: Islam is and evil religion. It should be abolished. A visit to Debate and Discussion, Religion section, will give you an idea of what I’m talking about.

Some of you had great ideas yesterday; ideas that defended Islam and ideas that proved that Islam is, infact, a religion of peace.

But that can not be said for anyone.

How efficiently can all of you answer this question: What is Islam?
We would all say that Islam is believing in Allah and His Messenger. We would all go on about how there are five pillars in Islam that we have to follow.
What if someone asked you: WHY do you have to believe in one god? WHY do you have to follow the five pillars.
Most of us would be lost for words then.

I would, for one.

That will be the whole point of the debate.

There will be two teams: the pros and the cons.

The cons will consist of stubborn people; people who will 'think outside the box'; people who will refuse to accept this 'one-god' policy; people who can get themselves out of tight corners; people who will take some convincing before they agree that Islam MIGHT be peaceful.
The actual number of people in the team hasn't been decided yet.
Feel free to nominate yourself. But MAKE SURE that when you are debating, you forget all your beliefs for that particular time, and think like an atheist, or a person from another religion would think. You need to be able to rubbish all claims about Prophets etc. and provide ample proof that there is no such thing as 'religion'.

The pros will be people who possess all the qualities of a con, and more! You have to be able to convince a person who doesn’t even believe in god in the first place! You have to validate your claims, and provide proof after proof. You have to stand up for the Islamic society.
And most importantly, you'll have to keep your temper in check, and be convincing.
Once again, feel free to nominate yourself for this position if you feel that you are a motivational speaker.

Tell me what you think about the idea, and if enough people join/support it, ill put up the rules and regulations.

The point of this debate is to educate ourselves; even if we don’t learn a lot, we are BOUND to learn at least a thing or two!

Plus, it’s better than senseless chatting!
Reply 19862
yh let me think about it which group shall i voulunteer to be in the pros or the cons
hamza09
oh man no one has ever gave me any reps, i am stuck on 10 i think, thats what you get when you sighn up, please someone rep me.

ill be your best friend if you do:redface: :redface:

Earn it. And next time, don't waste posts on such things.
Reply 19864
A Y Z
Earn it. And next time, don't waste posts on such things.

ok ok chill out m8 i wont ask no one for any reps
hamza09
yh let me think about it which group shall i voulunteer to be in the pros or the cons

Whichever group your in, you have to be a really motivational speaker.
Keep that in mind.

Rashid will be the judge so you can notify him.
Personally I want him to be in the cons. He spends most of his time in the D & D section... he'll know what im talking about.
Reply 19866
i thought about it and i decided i am in the cons section
Thats one nomiation.
if you can forget all your beliefs for some time, then well done!
Glad to have to abroad.
Reply 19868
so when does this start
As soon as we decide on the teams. And as soon as we find a judge.
Ill pass on the rules and regulations to him/her.
They take charge from there.
The only problem may be the time difference.
Plus, the debates will not be that long.
Afterwards we can go to being our normal selves :p:
Or should i say after WORDS.
Any one get the pun?
After WORDS. Like after WORDS in a debate...
Aw, man! You guys suck!
A Y Z
DEBATE

Yesterday we had an atheist here in the ISOC. He questioned Islam, claiming Islam was evil. We did manage to see him off, but what we didn’t do was try and convince him.

Unfortunately, like him, many people believe the same thing: Islam is and evil religion. It should be abolished. A visit to Debate and Discussion, Religion section, will give you an idea of what I’m talking about.

Some of you had great ideas yesterday; ideas that defended Islam and ideas that proved that Islam is, infact, a religion of peace.

We would all say that Islam is believing in Allah and His Messenger. We would all go on about how there are five pillars in Islam that we have to follow.
What if someone asked you: WHY do you have to believe in one god? WHY do you have to follow the five pillars.

I would, for one.

The cons will consist of stubborn people; people who will 'think outside the box'; people who will refuse to accept this 'one-god' policy; people who can get themselves out of tight corners; people who will take some convincing before they agree that Islam MIGHT be peaceful.
Feel free to nominate yourself. But MAKE SURE that when you are debating, you forget all your beliefs for that particular time, and think like an atheist, or a person from another religion would think. You need to be able to rubbish all claims about Prophets etc. and provide ample proof that there is no such thing as 'religion'.

The pros will be people who possess all the qualities of a con, and more! You have to be able to convince a person who doesn’t even believe in god in the first place! You have to validate your claims, and provide proof after proof. You have to stand up for the Islamic society.
And most importantly, you'll have to keep your temper in check, and be convincing.
Once again, feel free to nominate yourself for this position if you feel that you are a motivational speaker.

Tell me what you think about the idea, and if enough people join/support it, ill put up the rules and regulations.

The point of this debate is to educate ourselves; even if we don’t learn a lot, we are BOUND to learn at least a thing or two!

Someone make this a sticky; or it'll be lost behind pages.
Reply 19872
A Y Z
As soon as we decide on the teams. And as soon as we find a judge.
Ill pass on the rules and regulations to him/her.
They take charge from there.
The only problem may be the time difference.
Plus, the debates will not be that long.
Afterwards we can go to being our normal selves :p:

ok bro
ello my lovely brothers
i just watched 7/7 remeberd on tv, shaam and an imam came :smile:
LovinMyDeen
Asalamu alaykum
I haven't been accepted yet bro "the green manalishi"...are u sure the moderators of the Islamic society wanna let me in? *sad face*

Peace

youll be accepted in this society soon
i think the leaders are a bit busy
ill tel lmy brother as soon as i can :smile:
hamza09
ok bro

Welcome to the team :p:
Im the cons too.
I want it to be really, really strong (and stubborn), so that it takes A LOT of convincing to get rid of us.

Zara, Jamal, interested guys?
A Y Z
DEBATE

I would, for one.

Bump.
Only so that no one misses it :p:
rahmara
ello my lovely brothers
i just watched 7/7 remeberd on tv, shaam and an imam came :smile:

W/salam sis!
How do you like my idea?
im still thinknig what team i want to be on
:confused:
A Y Z
W/salam sis!
How do you like my idea?