Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everybody.
    I was hoping if anybody could suggest to me an easy and successful experiment about the rate of reaction? I've searched online and i've been unsuccessful. I want to do an experiment which involves the concentration levels, for example if the solution had a higher concentration there would be more collisions thus making the rate of reaction faster than a solution with a low concentration level. I could also think about the temperature as that could be a factor affecting the rate of reaction as a higher temperature would mean more energy for the particles to move about meaning more collisions and a faster rate of reaction.
    Thank you in advanced hopefully the experiment isn't too hard!
    Daniel.

ReputationRep:
    Amylase? :O

ReputationRep:
    The classic would be marble chips + HCl, measuring the amount of gas produced over a given time, using different concentrations of HCl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icedsarcasm)
    The classic would be marble chips + HCl, measuring the amount of gas produced over a given time, using different concentrations of HCl.
    How would i measure the amount of gas give? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d_aan)
    How would i measure the amount of gas give? thanks
    Just use the ye olde way :p::

Place the marble chips into a test tube, have a bung + with a hole in it and some form of delivery tube attached to it.

Get a measuring cylinder, fill if full of water, and place it up side down into a water bath (making sure not to spill much water) then record the starting level of water inside the cylinder.

Then just place the other end of the delivery tube into the bottom of the measuring cylinder, add the HCl and the gas produced travel along the delivery tube and displace the water inside the measuring cylinder - allowing you to measure how much gas was produced in cm3 or whatever unit you wish.

ReputationRep:
    reccomend above method, used the same method for measuring o2 realeased from decomposition of h202 using catalase.

you could use a gas syringe...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you can use a gas syringe too set up like this:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cptbigt)
    Yeah you can use a gas syringe too set up like this:

Thanks I think i understand how to do the experiment now!
    So generally the higher the concentration the higher the amount of oxygen?
    sorry i'm a bit clueless when it comes down to chemistry!
    ohh yeah+rep for your efforts:yep:

ReputationRep:
    If you do an experiment like the one in the picture above then look at the graph, that is volume of gas vs time - which will allow you to assess the rate of reaction.

For example:

10g of marble chips with 1M HCl

and

10g of marble chips with 2M HCl

The 2M HCl acid will happen at much faster rate of reaction then 1M, an easier way to do this is just to see how much gas is produced over a certain amount of time rather then try to extrapolate the rate of reaction from the graph at given points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d_aan)
    Thanks I think i understand how to do the experiment now!
    So generally the higher the concentration the higher the amount of oxygen?
    sorry i'm a bit clueless when it comes down to chemistry!
    ohh yeah+rep for your efforts:yep:
    You could try Zinc metal (same amount) with varying concentrations of HCl and see how much hydrogen gas is given off within say 60seconds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cptbigt)
    The 2M HCl acid will happen at much faster rate of reaction then 1M, but will still produce the same amount of gas.

Is that necessarily true if you add excess solid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHEM1STRY)
    Is that necessarily true if you add excess solid?
    Yeah I removed that bit to save on confusion :p:

Sorry i'm not the best at explaining + brain full of reaction kinetics revision so I could be talking crap for all I know heh.

ReputationRep:
    We weren't allowed to use the gas syringes at GCSE, we had to use "ye olde" method

As far as GCSE level is concerned, I'd think that all you're needing to know is that the rate of reaction will increase when you increase the concentration of HCl because of collision theory. If you measure for a set time, e.g. 30 seconds, then the more gas (it will be H2) that is produced in that time, the faster the rate of the reaction.

ReputationRep:
    For our ISA I believe we did Sodium Thiosphate and Hydrochloric acid, which produces a precipitate, so you measure the amount of time it takes for a marker on the other side of the beaker to be obscured

ReputationRep:
    Aaah I loved Rates of Reaction coursework...back when Chemistry was fun!!!

ReputationRep:
    sodium thiosulfate + hydrogen

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 15, 2012
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.