Matriculation Wear Watch

This discussion is closed.
Stewie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Just wondering, do we have to wear a white shirt + dark/black skirt/trousers combo as a rule (under the gown)? Will they not let you be matriculated if you feel like a wearing a different colour?! :eek:

Any rules on shoes? Black shoes seem cool to me, but I was hoping the favourite ones with flower embroidery could be in the running to make the day a little bit more special.... :p:

I've been reading about what graduates can/can't wear to their Graduation ceremony (sorry, don't know the Cantabrigian term) and it seems things like conspicuous hair clips/shoes are off bounds...any truth to this and does this apply to matriculation too? :confused:

Many thanks,
xxxxx
Zebedee Funk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It might depend on college to college...but my college...the general rule was dark suit, black shoes, shirt and tie. I wore a blue shirt....i think most of the girls wore white shirt though....some with a dark jumper on top under the gown...i don't think it really matters too much...as long as you look smart. You'll get college parents....you can always ask them before you go to Cambridge
Camford
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Have you guys checked the graduation wear yet? I need to wear a white bowtie for it... if I ever get around to graduate.
Zebedee Funk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
Have you guys checked the graduation wear yet? I need to wear a white bowtie for it... if I ever get around to graduate.
Nope....haven;t thought that far ahead yet!! I suspect normal black tie white shirt will apply though.....we graduate through the "gate of honour"......exciting!! :p:
Camford
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Zebedee Funk)
Nope....haven;t thought that far ahead yet!! I suspect normal black tie white shirt will apply though.....we graduate through the "gate of honour"......exciting!! :p:
There's a list with people's name on it in Pembroke. Listed all those who are expected to graduate on 30th of June. On the Pembroke internal webpages, there's the "wear" requirement... why did I bother come here?
Zebedee Funk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
There's a list with people's name on it in Pembroke. Listed all those who are expected to graduate on 30th of June. On the Pembroke internal webpages, there's the "wear" requirement... why did I bother come here?
Hehe.....sometimes this place makes me laugh....other times it makes you want to cry!!! :rolleyes:
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Stewie)
Just wondering, do we have to wear a white shirt + dark/black skirt/trousers combo as a rule (under the gown)? Will they not let you be matriculated if you feel like a wearing a different colour?! :eek:

Any rules on shoes? Black shoes seem cool to me, but I was hoping the favourite ones with flower embroidery could be in the running to make the day a little bit more special.... :p:

I've been reading about what graduates can/can't wear to their Graduation ceremony (sorry, don't know the Cantabrigian term) and it seems things like conspicuous hair clips/shoes are off bounds...any truth to this and does this apply to matriculation too? :confused:

Many thanks,
xxxxx
I don't mean to be rude but on these boards you come across as a complete cambridge-freak. Cambridge is just like any other university but a bit older. As for matric, blokes wear a black suit, any old tie, white shirt. Girls wear Black skirt or trousers. You'll need these sorts of things anyway for formal hall so buy stuff you're comfortable wearing a lot.

MB
Simone de Beauv
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
uhh white shirt and black skirt- brings me back to my waitressing days :eek:
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol... i hadn't even thought about mitriculation
Stewie
Rep:
?
(Original post by musicboy)
I don't mean to be rude but on these boards you come across as a complete cambridge-freak. Cambridge is just like any other university but a bit older. As for matric, blokes wear a black suit, any old tie, white shirt. Girls wear Black skirt or trousers. You'll need these sorts of things anyway for formal hall so buy stuff you're comfortable wearing a lot.

MB
Touche, but I just don't want to create a faux pas by standing out in the matric photo wearing technicolour while everyone else dons neutrals....

I really don't mean to be rude either my good friend, but I'm on here talking about Cambridge a lot less than you do; as Stephen Fry (and many others) have insinuated, sometimes it's okay to feel that your lucky break in life has saved it a little from where you could have gone. The place is special to me and many others, and if that bothers you (which really, it shouldn't) maybe it's time to put the revision down for a bit and just relax....I mean that in a good way; when you work 40+ hours a week in the same telesales office as I do, you really need the escapism.....

It's the Gap year boredom/relaxation psyche talking, but I think arguing over what people should/shouldn't like just wastes too much time

xxxx
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Touche, but I just don't want to create a faux pas by standing out in the matric photo wearing technicolour while everyone else dons neutrals....

I really don't mean to be rude either my good friend, but I'm on here talking about Cambridge a lot less than you do; as Stephen Fry (and many others) have insinuated, sometimes it's okay to feel that your lucky break in life has saved it a little from where you could have gone. The place is special to me and many others, and if that bothers you (which really, it shouldn't) maybe it's time to put the revision down for a bit and just relax....I mean that in a good way; when you work 40+ hours a week in the same telesales office as I do, you really need the escapism.....

It's the Gap year boredom/relaxation psyche talking, but I think arguing over what people should/shouldn't like just wastes too much time

xxxx
yes and not all of us are lucky enough to have an unconditional... so thats why i am keeping quieter than i would have liked to
Stewie
Rep:
?
(Original post by JHutcher)
yes and not all of us are lucky enough to have an unconditional... so thats why i am keeping quieter than i would have liked to
I'd love the excitement of a conditional offer; would have certainly motivated me to revise a bit more (only just made it over the 'A' boundaries...) and would have spent the last year of school on good terms with my teachers...

Unconditional, but oh the ageing.... You'll have the summer of your life with all your school mates while waiting for results, just before they all go off to uni and you realise just how slowly a year goes by. I mean yes, I cursed the essays at school (who doesn't?), but at least it took up some time and forced some thinking...when I picked up a NT book the other day, I had to read the same passage three times to understand what exactly I was reading...

I also really, really think I'm going to Hell for the way on the phones at work I argued with a 91 year old woman for ten minutes for her sort code details to get the sale....(it's not that bad really, you can do £$*! all to someone's money with their sort code and she will certainly be saving money on her phone bill...)
amateurish
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
They'll tell you what to wear in the pack of stuff you'll get in August. Just follow that and you won't go wrong at ours, they checked what we were wearing as we went up to have the photo taken, but then christ's is quite traditional. some colleges like king's have the photo in their normal clothes without gowns - it really depends on what instructions you receive from your college.
Stewie
Rep:
?
(Original post by amateurish)
They'll tell you what to wear in the pack of stuff you'll get in August. Just follow that and you won't go wrong at ours, they checked what we were wearing as we went up to have the photo taken, but then christ's is quite traditional. some colleges like king's have the photo in their normal clothes without gowns - it really depends on what instructions you receive from your college.
Thanks, I had no idea it depended on College, I always assumed there were set rules/regulations
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Thanks, I had no idea it depended on College, I always assumed there were set rules/regulations
you strike me as someone relishing the prospect of gowns and traditions in general...

he he he - i feel so sad
Stewie
Rep:
?
you strike me as someone relishing the prospect of gowns and traditions in general...

he he he - i feel so sad
Trust me, if legend is true that Lord Byron kept a bear in his college room and King's students have been 'sent down' for dressing up as porters/tourists then pretending to murder the 'tourists' in front of real tourists, I think I'm going to be a very happy girl....

So I can expect an invite to a Jesuian Formal Hall? Count me in buddy...
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Trust me, if legend is true that Lord Byron kept a bear in his college room and King's students have been 'sent down' for dressing up as porters/tourists then pretending to murder the 'tourists' in front of real tourists, I think I'm going to be a very happy girl....

So I can expect an invite to a Jesuian Formal Hall? Count me in buddy...
naturally... i'm quite keen on tradition... so its an open invitation
Stewie
Rep:
?
naturally... i'm quite keen on tradition... so its an open invitation
Exactly; if they kept updating the Parthenon every few years, we'd probably have a tacky shopping centre in there today...

Some things are just worth preserving and enjoying because they remain unchanged

Can't promise you the same experience at my college's Formal, but we have to vow to help each other get an invite to a Magdalene Formal...
Simone de Beauv
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
you're welcome to Corpus formal ( if I get in )
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Simone de Beauv)
you're welcome to Corpus formal ( if I get in )
and me?

not sure i could handle the agony of it... as a rejected student
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (295)
26.06%
Yes - they're famous (288)
25.44%
No I don't (549)
48.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed