Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Molar ratio Watch

ReputationRep:

I solved the question algebraically but the method outlined in the mark scheme, which uses a molar ratio, seems much simpler
    However, i dont understand it.
    How would you answer this question?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would do it algebraically

The other way to do it is to say 16.3% by mass is 16.3/18 and 83.7/460.5 (the mass compound without water)

gives ratios 0.9055 and 0.1817, division by the smallest => x = 5

it's very much like the question 'a hydrocarbon is 53.5% carbon, 9% hydrogen the remainer oxygen calculate the empirical formula' except you're dividing by molecules rather than atoms :smile:

edit: typo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    I would do it algebraically

The other way to do it is to say 16.3% by mass is 16.3/18 and 83.7/460.5 (the mass compound without water)

gives ratios 0.9055 and 0.1817, division by the smallest => x = 5

it's very much like the question 'a hydrocarbon is 53.5% carbon, 9% hydrogen the remainer oxygen calculate the empirical formula' except you're dividing by molecules rather than atoms :smile:

edit: typo!

Ah. The 'other way' method is assuming that you have 100g of the chemical right?

So then n =m/Mr can be applied, giving you the molar ratio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonic23)
    Ah. The 'other way' method is assuming that you have 100g of the chemical right?

So then n =m/Mr can be applied, giving you the molar ratio.
    No you don't need to assume a certain mass - you have the percentages.

Methane is 75% carbon by mass, 25% hydrogen

75/12 = 6.25 and 25/1 = 25

25/6.25 = 4

CH4

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.