Turn on thread page Beta

doing critical thinking never studied it, help. watch

ReputationRep:
    school entered most of us for the exam, never studied it, any websites/books to help me ?

thanks.

all they gave us was a bunch of past papers. and mark schemes which keep going on about raven?!

ReputationRep:
    Raven is just the way that is used to evaluate the quality of the evidence you are given. The letters stand for:
    R: reputation
    A: ability to see (at the time of the incident)
    V: Vested interest
    E: Expertise in that area
    N: neutrality

generally, or leastways with OCR, you will be given a scenario that involves five people denoted by a letter each, and the easiest way to deal with the task is to create a table, with raven going across the top and the letters of the people going down the side. Then tick each box that is relevant to each person based on the evidence you are given. So if it is clear that it makes no difference to them what the outcome of the situation is, then give that person a tick in the N box etc. As a general rule the vested interest and neutrality are mutually exclusive.

After you have drawn up a quick chart, bullet point the info, and state what each person is arguing, and where there is corroboration with people. You then come to a conclusion based on the balance of evidence as to what actually happened. It is essential that you come to this conclusion, and don't sit on the fence!

The other questions will consist of multiple choice, which can't really be revised, a section on identifying reasons, flaws and assumptions within some text, and writing a critical evaluation of an argument. The whole exam can be written in bullet points apart from the final critical evaluation, which must be in continuous prose.

I'm afraid I don't know of any websites/ books which would be of any use, I would say that the best thing you can do would be to attempt a paper and then compare your answers to the mark scheme, so that you can get used to what it is that the examiners are looking for.

Sorry this is so long, but hope it helps some!

Good luck,

Joanne.

ReputationRep:
    Legend, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanne88)
    Raven is just the way that is used to evaluate the quality of the evidence you are given. The letters stand for:
    R: reputation
    A: ability to see (at the time of the incident)
    V: Vested interest
    E: Expertise in that area
    N: neutrality

generally, or leastways with OCR, you will be given a scenario that involves five people denoted by a letter each, and the easiest way to deal with the task is to create a table, with raven going across the top and the letters of the people going down the side. Then tick each box that is relevant to each person based on the evidence you are given. So if it is clear that it makes no difference to them what the outcome of the situation is, then give that person a tick in the N box etc. As a general rule the vested interest and neutrality are mutually exclusive.

After you have drawn up a quick chart, bullet point the info, and state what each person is arguing, and where there is corroboration with people. You then come to a conclusion based on the balance of evidence as to what actually happened. It is essential that you come to this conclusion, and don't sit on the fence!

The other questions will consist of multiple choice, which can't really be revised, a section on identifying reasons, flaws and assumptions within some text, and writing a critical evaluation of an argument. The whole exam can be written in bullet points apart from the final critical evaluation, which must be in continuous prose.

I'm afraid I don't know of any websites/ books which would be of any use, I would say that the best thing you can do would be to attempt a paper and then compare your answers to the mark scheme, so that you can get used to what it is that the examiners are looking for.

Sorry this is so long, but hope it helps some!

Good luck,

Joanne.
    Wow, you have just, in the space of 29 lines, taught me my entire year's critical thinking course much better than my CT teacher did

Cheers m'dear.

ReputationRep:
    No problem!

Joanne.

ReputationRep:
    are you sure you can do it in bullet points

e.g. the conclusion is .........

and also what is a flaw, is it the same as an assumption and do you guys finish paper 2 its so hard to finish and what do we have to put in the makeing out own arguments up

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raj1234)
    are you sure you can do it in bullet points

e.g. the conclusion is .........

and also what is a flaw, is it the same as an assumption and do you guys finish paper 2 its so hard to finish and what do we have to put in the makeing out own arguments up

thanks
    A flaw is any reasoning in the argument which doesn't follow. It could be anything, from ad hominem, to straw man, to an assumption etc etc etc. An assumption if a generalisation which isn't explicit.

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.