standard deviation... Watch

This discussion is closed.
rachel72
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
what exactly is it?! i mean, i'm doing maths GCSE coursework and need to include an area of statistics i've not covered in class, but i can only find standard deviation, isn't it something to do with the mean, because i've done histograms and they were skewed and so my teacher said i had to compare the IQR and medians instead of mean and range, so is there anything else to try, should i do standard deviation anyway, or should i just settle for a 7/8?!
Cortez
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
standard deviation measures the spread of data. The higher the standard deviation, the great the spread of data from the mean of the sample. I would include stuff about the standard deviation, better to do more than less in my opinion
rachel72
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
so the mean difference between the estimate and actual angle, i might just hand it in and see if she says to do it or not, i'll ask next lesson!
Newton
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Standard deviation is the measure of dispersion around the mean value of the sample.

It is given by:

s=sqrt[(Mean value of (x^2))-((Mean value of x)^2)]

Newton.
Jonny W
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
variance = average of [(deviation from the mean)^2]
SD = sqrt(variance)

Eg, if the data is {1, 3, 5} then the deviations from the mean are -2, 0, 2. So

variance = (1/3)((-2)^2 + 0^2 + 2^2) = 8/3
SD = sqrt(8/3)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (585)
80.25%
Leave (144)
19.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise