Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i got some homework problems
    i don't know howw to slove it,,,,,,,,

the ionic radil of metals is always larger than atomic radii of the same metallic (T/F)

lustrous malleable and ductile elements that are good conductors of heat and electricy are classified as non-metals (T/F)

nonmetals generally from positive ions (T/F)

element in a group in the periodic table have similar chemical properties becasuse of similar
    a) nuclear charge
    b)outer energy level electron configuration
    c)isotopic mass

an atom with the electron configration 1s2-2s2-2p6-3s2-3p6-4s2-3d10-4p5
    would show chemical behavior similar to that of an atom with electron configration
    a) 1s2-2s2-2p5
    b) [Ar] 4s2-3d10-4p6
    c} [Ar] 4s2-3d10-4p4
    d) [kr] 5s2

which if the following electron configration represent the electron that is most stable chemically.

a) 1s2-2s2-2p6-3s2-3p5
    b) 1s2-2s2-2p3
    C) 1s2-2s2-2p6-3s2-3p6-4s2-3d10-4p6
    d) 1s2-2s2-2p6-3s2-3p6-4s2-3d5

which of the following would lose an electron more readily, sodium or potassium ? why? explain in term of the shielding effect

plz help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ReputationRep:
    Didn't understand the first one... :confused:

Second one is false - these are general properties of metals, not non-metals.

Third one is false, as they generally gain an electron or more so form a negative ion.

Third is b).

Fourth is a) I think because the highest p-orbitals both have the same number of electrons in (and an unpaired electron). The middle two have paired electrons in their p-orbital, meaning they are more stable (as the second has a full highest orbital as well). And the last group has the s-orbital as its highest, so is different as well.

The fifth is c) because c has a full principle energy level, meaning that it is most stable.

And the last is potassium, because although it has a larger nucleus, giving more protons, the outer electrons are further away from the nucleus, which is more important given that the attraction is proportional to the inverse square of the distance. Also, the outer electrons are more "shielded" because there are more energy levels in the way to the outer electrons on the potassium atom than the sodium atom.

Hope that helps. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    thanks
    thanks a lot

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.