Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As you all know, the euro was introduced not long ago to Europe. How do you find this? Are we encouraging the breakdown of cultural differences, or developing universal peace?

What aspects of a country interests you the most? Is it the cultural differences, the climate? Would you prefer a diverse world to an equilibrated world?

ReputationRep:
    we don't have it here yet (but we will - in around 2010 :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    i suppose the concept of the euro is to bring together all the different currencies in europe to one, which would simplify many economic problems, ie. exchange rates fluctuations within europe, as well as encouraging trade within european countries under the EU etc. I guess there are many advantages in the Euro (even though UK still insists on their QEII-coins :rolleyes: ). I don't think there is much concern with cultural discintegration or anything like that, because first of all, even without Euro, different cultures around the world are starting to blend in with one another anyway. Also, I doubt the currency would really place THAT much of a cultural significance in people's lives. Well...mb they'll fuss about the looks of it for a while. :rolleyes:

I think what sets each country / society apart are their different cultures (+ cuisines/language etc). However, they can lead to stereotypes, some of which can be rather rude and misleading. But as the countries develop, more and more people migrate to other places, spreading their own cultures, and welcoming other cultures. Gradually, we start to understand more about the other cultures, and those old, stereotypes start to fade away, occasionally popping up in jokes. Different cultures start to blend in. For instance in HK, although it is still a Chinese-based society, the majority of the population are greatly influenced by other cultures, through TV (ESP. TV), mag's, and interacting with foreigners.

It is of course, nice to see us accepting each other's differences, erasing misunderstandings, and learn more about different cultures. Afterall, arguments / wars / battles arise from differences of different magnitudes. however, globalisation brought about by MNC's can "corrupt" people's cultures, esp. in developing countries. In places like Thailand, McDonald's are around every street corner. People start forgetting about their own cultures / traditions as they admire the celebrities on Vogue. Many kids nowadays don't even have a clue what their own history is like.

Having a world with cultures accepted and understood by people in different countries is a great thing, however, one step further and it becomes Globalisation where native cultures, or the old, are chucked into a small museum and replaced by the new. So i guess an "equilibrated world" should still try and maintain cultural diversity, because afterall, our own cultures is something we can always be proud of.

ReputationRep:
    the euro is great!

u dont have to worry about changing money when u go to most places in the EU, really useful

besides, euro notes/coins have the country's symbol on them anyway, so its just like having ur own unique version of it...

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.