The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sophdoph
Don't just go somewhere because of a partner. If there are loads of reasons and your partner is one of them, that makes more sense.

It can be easy to convince yourself there are loads of other reasons though, just because your partner is going there!
Reply 61
I reckon you should go with your firm. Like a few others have said, there must be a good reason you chose it in the first place, and deciding to go somewhere else based on a new relationship seems a bit...naive perhaps?

Anyway, long-distance relationships can work. My boyfriend is in his first year of university and I'm still doing my A Levels, but we're managing just fine. We usually see each other about every three weeks, but its a bit more difficult at the moment since we're both revising so much.

I hope you manage to come to a decision (if you haven't already), good luck with everything! Just go with what you think is the best for you, not anyone else, despite how selfish that sounds!
Reply 62
MRLX69
To be honest, prestige did influence why I chose Bristol over Manchester. I know in Bristol, there's going to be a lot of oxbridge rejects on my course (Maths), but in Manchester, there isn't as much. I figured one would have to be pretty serious about Maths to apply to Oxbridge, so I'll be around people who are really, really, really serious about maths. But comparing the universities on a whole, there isn't much difference between them, and I'm sure I'll grow to love which ever one I choose to go to, I won't regret it. The Maths course for both of them are similar, and I wouldn't mind either. What made me pick Bristol over Manchester is that, in my opinion, Bristol is more prestigious than Manchester, I liked Bristol's Maths prospectus more, and I think I'll mingle well with Oxbridge rejects like myself :biggrin: .

But in Manchester, I'll never starve nor run out of money, my aunty own a chain of resturants there, she's really rich. And half of my family lives in Manchester

I spoke to my gf about it today, and she didn't say much about it, she told me to do what I think is best because she doesn't want to be selfish.... :frown: . She got rejected from Bristol (English being one of the most competitive courses), but she said if she had a choice between Manchester or Bristol, she'll probably choose Bristol.

I'm still a bit confused to as what to do, thank you all for the comments, it's been very useful.

To be honest, I'd go with your gut instinct.

I had to choose between Durham and York for my firm earlier this year, and my boyfriend already goes to Durham. I liked both places almost equally, but there were some factors about York that would possibly have led me to choose it if I'd been single and/or a bit more rational - slightly further from home, a course structure I liked slightly better. But in the end my gut feeling was 'go to Durham', and I won't regret it even if we split up.

My advice is not to make any rash decisions, mull it over for a while, see where your relationship is headed and you'll probably unconsciously make the decision without even realising it. :smile:
Reply 63
hey hey........

How long u been with this girl???
Reply 64
Not at all go for the best possible option.
Reply 65
Ok, example of why this is a really BAD idea...

Girl got offer from Cambridge, but had a bf going to Liverpool Uni, she decided to give up her offer and go to liverpool uni with him, they broke up, she's now living in a flat with some old bloke and really regretting doing it, and she's lost the chance of a lifetime to go to the best uni.

My now ex-bf wanted to come to uni with me but I said absolutely NO way, you're going to the uni you want, (Cambridge funnily enough) we since broke up but are still good friends, and consequently I'm with another guy now who makes me even happier than the last one did.

You go to uni for your career, not cause your gf is going there. If you like your gf enough and if the feeling is mutual, 1) she will understand and 2) you can last the distance.
Reply 66
relationships "nowadays" are unstable?! what a strange thing to say.

either way you should go the university you want to go to. as hard as it is you have to leave your girlfriend out of the equation. if you change unis for her, even if you stay together, you will always be thinking "what if i was somewhere else..." and there's the risk you will blame her if you don't enjoy it as much. and of course you should go to the best place you can.

if it's worth it it will work wherever you go.
allisandro

if it's worth it it will work wherever you go.

Most relationships are worth something. I don't understand why you would be in one were it not! But I have to stress this again - there is no guarantee three or fourth months later you’ll still be together! If your partner is the most important thing in your life (despite your only being eighteen) why have you got university on your agenda anyway? Surely the whole concept of university is about it aiding your dreams/independence/future career plans? If it's not and you're merely going to uni for the sake of it, then hey do whatever it is you want. :rolleyes:
Reply 68
waiting2smile
Most relationships are worth something. I don't understand why you would be in one were it not! But I have to stress this again - there is no guarantee three or fourth months later you’ll still be together! If your partner is the most important thing in your life (despite your only being eighteen) why have you got university on your agenda anyway? Surely the whole concept of university is about it aiding your dreams/independence/future career plans? If it's not and you're merely going to uni for the sake of it, then hey do whatever it is you want. :rolleyes:

you would think but i know lots of people who are together and enjoy each other's company but have no intention of anything more serious nor any plans for the future. in their cases, they wouldn't stay together if they moved apart. in which case, i would argue that it's not "worth it".
Reply 69
so have you made up your mind whether you're going to bristol or manchester yet?
Reply 70
You won't need your girlfriend; there are sooo many girls at University that will want you. :smile:

So much variety and they will come to you.
Reply 71
NoMoreRain
You won't need your girlfriend; there are sooo many girls at University that will want you. :smile:

So much variety and they will come to you.

I can just see all those girls who are gonna have long-distance relationships with their boyfriends at uni quaking in their boots right now!
Reply 72
jeni8686
I can just see all those girls who are gonna have long-distance relationships with their boyfriends at uni quaking in their boots right now!

rofl......indeed. :biggrin:
jeni8686
so have you made up your mind whether you're going to bristol or manchester yet?

I think the last post by him suggested he was more inclined to go to Bristol :smile:
Reply 74
waiting2smile
I think the last post by him suggested he was more inclined to go to Bristol :smile:

:rolleyes: yup, should have read the other posts really shouldnt I?!

Latest

Trending

Trending