Americans perception of British Watch

This discussion is closed.
shazzam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by shazzam)
the problem is America's belief that they are the best nation and always right severely effects the rest of the world, I'm all for accepting and loving them for their differences but don't believe that everyone should stand aside and put up with the national ego (not the people, the governement) whilst they go forth an anialate other countries.

Americans, from my own experience are lovely people, but the things that a minority do under the banner of 'America' are awful.
yes I know that the English are very far from perfect themselves.. just before someone points that out..
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by queenselphie)
are you calling Alan Rickman crap?! :eek:
No, he is actually decent. Blow dry shows that.
But the kids. Meh. Look at other big 'British' actors. Hugh Grant. umm....
There loads of great actors in small British films but no one ever sees them. There is just American saturation.
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Actually, when my school went to the Natural History Museum, a middle aged American couple told us that our uniform was 'cute' (I guess they just weren't used to school uniforms), and then the woman asked my friend if we went to a public or a private school. We weren't too sure how to answer that, heh...

But everyone making huge generalised statements about the Americans after complaining that that's what they do about us Brits are a bit silly. I mean, they've only got the media as a reference point, and that's all you're doing...
Live and let live, 'swhat I say.
Janealams
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Reading the title i was wondering wat sort of perception it might be.
lol its abt brushing theeth.
oh cumon man even if someone no matter american or anyother think anything like this one shouldnt care abt that particularly in case of americans they think they r only with brains, etiquettes, good policies n care for others....huh
I think thats my personal opinion that americans dress worst in the world whereas is case of british i will just say awesome even though im not a british .
A more tolerant and sophisticated society thats wat i call.
Btw i do brush my teeth
Janealams
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by queenselphie)
In any country there is going to be a sense of national pride - most people feel that what they are used to it best. I find many of the ways of America alien and strange, but Im sure they find us that strange too. Its natural to be adverse to difference and change, but seeing as we are intelligent, it would be nice to rise above that and say "ok, I dont like how you do things, but thats your choice" unless its hurting someone else.
For example, if the americans want to believe that they are the greatest country on earth and that their philosophies are great, thats fine what I cant agree with is things like capital punishment that they have. I cant think of very few things Im so opposed to.

I do feel a sense of national pride when I see movies will a decent british cast, like Harry Potter, but I also appreciate there are many talented american actors.

I dont think anyone should say britain or america are better - some sense of equality would be nice we all have our faults, and its fun to tease each other about them as long as it stays friendly
Well said
at least lara
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
:rolleyes: i think most of us realize that its just an outdated cliche....it could be worse though - we think the french dont bathe........
Aeris
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by xbellax)
:rolleyes: i think most of us realize that its just an outdated cliche....it could be worse though - we think the french dont bathe........
Hey hey I'm not the one to complain about the french and a lack of cleanliness. All I can say is when I stayed at a hostel in France...there were no sinks to wash your hands in any of the bathrooms. I had to go to the shower room everytime I wanted to wash my hands. Then again it was a hostel.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ArisGreenleaf)
Hey hey I'm not the one to complain about the french and a lack of cleanliness. All I can say is when I stayed at a hostel in France...there were no sinks to wash your hands in any of the bathrooms. I had to go to the shower room everytime I wanted to wash my hands. Then again it was a hostel.
Hmm youth hostels here tend to have a sink in every room/dormitory, and shared toilets and shower rooms. Quite a nice cosy system.

The English-French "hatred" is only a bit of fun... we like each other really!
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
The English-French "hatred" is only a bit of fun... we like each other really!
Are you sure? I had to put up with being British in a French high school. It's almost worse than being non-white (ok sorry that wasn't very PC but you get my drift). When I would meet people, I'd try to hide the fact I was British because of people's reactions.
Ellie4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Meh, every nation has stereotypes. The only reason I don't like the Americans as a nation is the way they spell things, (it's 's' not 'z' dammit, and what do you do with the o's in words?!). Other than that, you can't blame Americans for stereotyping us, we do it to other nations all the time. It's all a bit pathetic really, but that's just the way it is
Apollo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think that's a pretty outdated idea, i've never heard anyone say it at least.
Geordie_in_HK
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Any Americans (or anyone else for that matter) seen the show "America Princess"??

I've never seen such a bunch of ignorant women. They didn't even know what a fish knife was or how to hold a champagne flute...
Janealams
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Geordie_in_HK)
Any Americans (or anyone else for that matter) seen the show "America Princess"??

I've never seen such a bunch of ignorant women. They didn't even know what a fish knife was or how to hold a champagne flute...
lol :laugh:
tarona
Report 13 years ago
I'm American, and I would say that, yes, there are some (very few) people that just take what they know from the media as the whole truth. However, most people know enough to realize that movie sterotypes are just that: over-exaggerated sterotypes embellished for laughs. People (in general) in most places aren't that dumb. Although, after the last election, I'm not so sure anymore... How anyone could vote for that idoit AGAIN is almost beyond my comprehension... If only I were actually old enough to vote.
Janealams
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would love to know which movie let amercians know that IRAQ has WMD :laugh:
lolz
they just beleive they know a lot n whatever that is right.
at least lara
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Janealams)
lolz
don't make unfounded and sweeping generalizations please :mad: ...
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Janealams)
lolz
We're hardly more informed about WMDs and Iraq than the Americans :rolleyes:
kemiandtheboy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Talking of American perceptions of Britain...
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kemiandtheboy)
Talking of American perceptions of Britain...
LOLOLOL²
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by carcharodon)
Do they really think we dont brush our teeth? lol
and is it actually true that they have better teeth, they seem to be more dental consciouss
well....everyone has braces here. or everyone who can afford it mostly. I had mine for 7 years.....
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%
No I don't (547)
48.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise