Race for Life Watch

This discussion is closed.
SammyD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Is anyone taking part in this or considering it?

It's a five kilometre (3 miles) race in aid of Cancer Research UK. It's women only and there are loads taking place all across the country. I've started exercising recently and I think the Regents Park race on 24th of July would be a good target for me, would anyone else be interested in doing this?

www.raceforlife.org
Sam_B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i would, if i were a woman and lived in the UK.

sounds good.
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yep i'm running the birmingham one on the 15th june

My and my friend have been going jogging regularly but we haven't managed 3 miles yet and i don't think we'll be able to run all the way round, but we're going to give it a go!

Ruthie xx
Luize
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Heh typical Bristol's was today and yesterday.
Would have probably done it if I had found a partner to do it with me.
SammyD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Well I only decided to do the race today, but I have been running 4 to 5 miles every other day for two weeks now. I'll change my workout if I do train for the race, but I think I'd like someone to do it with me because I won't get much support from my family.
md_red_uk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Women only is rather incredibly stupid. I'm assuming blokes aren't allowed to enter because its for breast cancer

I know its for a good cause (cancer research) but if there was a white-only race to raise money for skin cancer and blacks weren't allowed to enter on the grounds that they suffer less from it, one might see that as absurd.

I think everyone who wants to help should be allowed to; it is not only women who are affected by breast cancer, childrens parents', relatives', sisters' etc. all die and that affects everyone.

(i may have got the wrong end of the stick, so correct me if i have)
Apricot Fairy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I did it today in Winchester!!!!! Did it with a team of girls from work.

www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/kingsgate <-- this is our team's web page.

The atmosphere was amazing, you absolutely should do it! I'm definitely running again next year. Also got my personal best time record, beating everything I've ever done in the gym.
clairey87
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I was going to do it until I was struck down by glandular fever. So I did the lazy option of getting a cancer research band!
BexTait
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Men can get breast cancer too. I didn't do it, but I know of people that have done and I sponsored them. Might be tempted to do it next year, injury permitting.
md_red_uk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Anyone willing to answer why it is only for women?
sparkly_tiara
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by md_red_uk)
Anyone willing to answer why it is only for women?
Bacause cancer reseach now do a run4fun for men only and a race4life for women only! Don't know why the gender divide buy yeah!

Lou
xxx
md_red_uk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
thank you
undiscovered
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would if it wasn't smack bang in the middle of my exams
Flicker
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by md_red_uk)
Women only is rather incredibly stupid. I'm assuming blokes aren't allowed to enter because its for breast cancer

I know its for a good cause (cancer research) but if there was a white-only race to raise money for skin cancer and blacks weren't allowed to enter on the grounds that they suffer less from it, one might see that as absurd.

I think everyone who wants to help should be allowed to; it is not only women who are affected by breast cancer, childrens parents', relatives', sisters' etc. all die and that affects everyone.

(i may have got the wrong end of the stick, so correct me if i have)
there's a separate day for men to run.
pixie05
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Me and one of my friends are! Not doing nearly enough training but hey, as long as we get to the end, it doesn't matter how long it takes, right?
bestdeceptions
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm doing it in Brighton in July!
*starry_eyed_*
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
am gonna do it next year. was gonna do it this year but it wud make more sense to do it for my nan, who's 10yr anniversary of dying from cancer will be next year RIP NAN XXX
Joey12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Im doing it again this year (this'll be my 4th) in Chelmsford, Essex on 26th June. Should be fun but im always knackered, ive had cancer and a number of people i know have so am basically running it for all of us.
Apricot Fairy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm going to do a half marathon next year
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (666)
80.73%
Leave (159)
19.27%

Watched Threads