how do I show manual dexterity for a university interview? Watch

amitd
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi, obviously manual dexterity is necessary for dentistry, (apart from art and playing a musical instrument) what can i do to show i have manual dexterity to a university interviewer?

Thanks
paperflower
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
My friend is doing silversmithing/ making and embroidering a dress to show her manual dexterity, try doing something that takes time and skill??
HelpMeImGoingToDie
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Someone i know took some cross-stitch... I don't know if they were impressed or not.
Allthewayhome
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Electric soldering kits - visit the maplin site.

Some sort of art related thing.
yosysaeed
Report 10 years ago
hey i believe showing an interest in the following may help:

playing a musical instrument- e.g. violin.

a hobby- for example Nitro R/C cars and Engine building-
by analogy the engine is similar to a patients mouth in the sense that changing the air/ fuel ratio mixture may cause severe damage to the piston and overheating of the engine head. likewise, too much NO2 and 02 or local anaesthetic may knock the patient out or cause brain damage!

Precision skills- as the OP suggested, soldering on circuit boards, computer building (lool at the other guy who suggested this, coincidentally, i used 2 work for maplin!)- this may give you the upper hand in close technical procedures in dentistry for example root canal treatment! very high risk of faliure!!!!! you may go beyond the apex of the tooth and make the patient weep like a baby!

And finally, the ability to concentrate for hours and hours- even computer consoles games can assist this!

so, if you are stumped of ideas, just think what qualities a brain surgeon might have- its pretty much similar.

i hope that helps!
I Have No Imagination
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do you have to bring something that shows you're manual dexterity skills to an interview?
Allthewayhome
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by yosysaeed)
a hobby- for example Nitro R/C cars and Engine building-
by analogy the engine is similar to a patients mouth in the sense that changing the air/ fuel ratio mixture may cause severe damage to the piston and overheating of the engine head. likewise, too much NO2 and 02 or local anaesthetic may knock the patient out or cause brain damage!
This analogue is a bit redundant now as only intravenous sedation is used now clinics. The rest of the stuff is done is hospital setting.
amitd
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
kk, thanks 4 the advice guys ( apart frm gangst )
exppex
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by I Have No Imagination)
Do you have to bring something that shows you're manual dexterity skills to an interview?
Most applicants do. Most universities recommend you bring an example of manual dexterity. The only exception to this I found was Cardiff who didn't ask to see anything (but I showed them anyway).

My interviewers said that they do not place emphasis on manual dexterity like other universities because they believed it can be learned on the course, and they found other qualities were more important in becoming a good dentist.
neanderthal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To be honest, when i was preparing for interviews, i got the impression EVERYONE brings something into interviews. When i actually WENT to interviews, i was in a very small minority of ppl who actually brought something in. But i do think it helped. I ended up getting 2 offers- manc and kcl. At those interviews i could tell they were impressed by my model, wheres as bham and leeds they were less so. So it can either help of hinder ur interview.
Lisa.Marie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I done guitar, but didn't bring one just mentioned it, cake decorating pictures which i done in school, tapestry thing which took about 3 months but its quite cool and made some jewelry. Oh I know someone who says they done the wii as part of hers and she got in! thats a really fun one to do!
wisdom-tooth
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
johnsoloman
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was thinking about how would i be able to demonstrate manaul dexterity, to universities?

I don't play any musical instruments, but i used to be very good at art a while ago.
So i was thinking should i get in touch with my art teacher at school and see if i could do some sort of model, painting or something to demonstrate my skill and dexterity? I haven't got any pieces of previous art work as i had moved to a different school for sixth form for year 12 and my old school have probably got rid of my art work, well what little i did of it as i didn't take art for GCSE. Yet my art teacher after year 9 all the way to year 11 would constantly say that he is disappointed with me for not choosing art for GCSE, and apparantly i was the best in the whole year at art.

So what do you think i should do? Do some quick art work with my current school, like during lunchtime/afterschool or should i try something else like previously mentioned such as sewing kits and stuff?
By the way i am a keen video games player, which requires a bit of maula dexterity doesn't it? as you need to be quick and good with your fingers, i.e. fire before enemy fires at you on shooting games such as Call of Duty.

So what do you think i should do? any advice?
cptKernow
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was considering bringing my guitar, giving them the full guitar hero treatment and then setting fire to it. They'd have to let me in
johnsoloman
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do you reckon that you can use video games as an example?
As they require accuracy and fast reactions, for example a shooting game, or racing game where one mistake can be game over lol

But what do you think? Or does it sound like a lazy and pathetic example?
prodigy92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by johnsoloman)
Do you reckon that you can use video games as an example?
As they require accuracy and fast reactions, for example a shooting game, or racing game where one mistake can be game over lol

But what do you think? Or does it sound like a lazy and pathetic example?
I think they would take u as a bit of a joke if u started talking bout video games, Sure we all like to sit back and play a bitta cod, but dont think its what they have in mind.

Go the extra mile with the art thing, sounds pretty good, make a portfolio of pics to show how u've made it and progressed etc.
johnsoloman
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks for the advice lol

I was looking into cross stitching, it sounds really good.
I had a quick look around on the internet and there are loads of stuff, either too basic, like little children level, or too complicated.
Can anyone recommend me a good website or place to try?
I just want something intermediate, not too easy but not to hard so it will impress in interview, also reasonably priced as some are really expensive.

Any help appreciated
Moe Lester
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Allthewayhome)
Electric soldering kits - visit the maplin site
Just came across this thread, forgive me for sounding stupid but what do you actually do with those?
johnsoloman
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Moe Lester)
Just came across this thread, forgive me for sounding stupid but what do you actually do with those?
I don't know much about soldering but i think you use soldering to create/repair circuit boards and electronics. Like if the circuit has been broken, you use soldering to connect the circuit again, so the electronic device can work.

I am currently making an F1 car model kit, its quite tedious and annoying at times but i am getting there
Should be a good example to demonstate manual dexterity if i get any interviews
Denthrax
Report 9 years ago
If you can do some calligraphy, preferably in another language, it can look very good. Also, with another language, they can't precisely work out how good it is anyway!
Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (48)
18.9%
Labour (104)
40.94%
Liberal Democrats (52)
20.47%
Green Party (15)
5.91%
Brexit Party (7)
2.76%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.57%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.97%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)