LuhLah
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I chose "Way To Go" by Alan Spence. Has anyone else done this for their personal study before? Any tips on what I could write about?
LuhLah
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Bump: Decided to do 1984 instead
Sweet by and by
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Try sparks notes the give you essay questions and quotes
LuhLah
Rep:
(Original post by Sweet by and by)
Try sparks notes the give you essay questions and quotes
Thanks

What did you pick for your PS?
Sweet by and by
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by LuhLah)
Thanks

What did you pick for your PS?

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
evodario
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I thinking about doing either How late it was, how late or 1984.
Xeraii
Report 12 years ago
Everyone and their gran does 1984.

Or Austen.

Or Orwell.

If you're up for it think about studying a book you've read but doesn't on the surface scream out "I HAVE THEMES AND IMAGERY AND SYMBOLISM" to you. It's much more rewarding in my opinion to know you've done something original.

Then again if you're just wanting to get the tick in the box disregard everything I just said. :p:
amyd33
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
if you're uncertain, i recommend doing wuthering heights :yep:
LuhLah
Rep:
(Original post by Xeraii)
Everyone and their gran does 1984.

Or Austen.

Or Orwell.

If you're up for it think about studying a book you've read but doesn't on the surface scream out "I HAVE THEMES AND IMAGERY AND SYMBOLISM" to you. It's much more rewarding in my opinion to know you've done something original.

Then again if you're just wanting to get the tick in the box disregard everything I just said. :p:
Screw that lol, I just want it over with, I suck at english as it is.
evodario
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
What do you guys think of How late it was, how late by James Kelman?
xo-Heva
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Don't just pick pick books that have been recommended to you by teachers.

Have you ever read that book before? Do you enjoy it? If so, fair enough - go for it!

However if you pick a book that you love you will have much more positive things to say about it. You will find the essay easier (or talk) and you won't feel like you've had to do lots of hard work.

A few of my friends did twilight. I did two poems which I really love.
LuhLah
Rep:
Ugh, I am finding 1984 so hard to get into. I HATE ENGLISH!
bex285
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Do a less generic book, it'll be more interesting for the teacher to read :yep:
And make sure it's a book you really enjoy; that makes the whole process a hell of a lot easier tbh.
LuhLah
Rep:
I'm leaving school, and I'll be doing my Highers in college. I hope to takes notes over the summer and then when I go, I'll have them all nice and ready for the lectuer. Thank god for sparknotes.
Scots_Law
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I'm going to disagree with almost every other post...

Do something you can get lots of notes on, i.e. spark notes, academic articles and journals. I'd recommend 'The Lord of the Flies', '1984', 'The Great Gatsby', 'To Kill a Mockingbird' amongst others- you will find considerable academic commentary on these online. Your teacher won't give two hoots if someone's studied Austen before, otherwise why would Austen be taught at degree level? You can always take a new angle on a book, in fact this is more likely to indicate more skill than simply studying a text that no other student has. Plus, if I remember correctly, the personal study is just pass or fail so there's certainly no point in making it any harder than it needs to be!

Good luck!
acas13
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I did 1984 for my personal study too, wrote about symbolism if I remember rightly, for my advanced higher english dissertation I am going along the same distopian, alternative society type lines and doing the handmaids tale, a brave new world, and possible the bell jar... I would recomend you read at least one of these to give you a better understanding of 1984.
acas13
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Oh yeah, I would encourage you to do what people are calling generic books, the more literary the better if you ask me. Go for a classic.
LuhLah
Rep:
Errr posted this post in the wrong thread.. help anyone?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=195
Z_Ahmed
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Sweet by and by)
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
I done that too for my int 2 personal study last year, was a really good book and lots to write about.
Decosco
Report 12 years ago
i'm either doing lord of the flies or sunset song.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (138)
33.91%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.29%
No (110)
27.03%
I'm not sure (52)
12.78%

Watched Threads