(Original post by LOUD13)
    I Need Some Help Solving : Integral ( 1 / (tan X)^1/2 )dx

Thank You Lou
    Try Mathworks. It is accessible through Google.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LOUD13)
    I Need Some Help Solving : Integral ( 1 / (tan X)^1/2 )dx

Thank You Lou
    I read this as 'the integral of one over the square root of tan(x) with respect to x', is that how you intended it to be interpreted?

If so, this is not a particularly easy integral to do. Are you sure that you copied the question down correctly? It's definitely not something they'd give you at A-level anyway, and I don't see a 'nice' way through it. Indeed Mathematica returns a horribily complicated mess. If I (and Mathematica) have missed something obvious, please someone point it out.

EDIT: Looking at it again, it's not too hard, but would take quite a lot of annoying fiddly work and multiple applications of integration by parts, which I really can't be bothered to do. I think you must've copied the question down wrong.

Regards,

ReputationRep:
    would a t substitution work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    I dont think so, that would leave a messy function of t, which would be hard to integrate (unless, of course, in cancelled nicely)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    Hmm... I doubt it, and after seeing Mathematica's solution, it's sort of removed my motivation to try and solve it. It doesn't look like anything you could get other than by brute force. If you can prove me wrong, please do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RELAX)
    PINKY AND THE BRAIN!!!!! ITS PINKY AND THE BRAIN, ONES CRIMINALLY INSANE!!!!

"COME ON PINKY, LETS TAKE OVER THE WORLD........"

LITTLE JUICY!!!!
    pea brain maskell very busy tonight posting under its alter egos. can mods do anything about this annoying little turd?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    pea brain maskell very busy tonight posting under its alter egos. can mods do anything about this annoying little turd?
    Believe me, we're trying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I don't see these posts you are quoting are they PMs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Believe me, we're trying.
    thanx m8 and good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Try www.calc101.com

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 24, 2003
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.