Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i don't see why it's so special - to make the next A size up, you just stick two of the previous sizes together, along the long edges. Thus the ratio is maintained (im only doing A-level maths - it doesn't take a genius). That the ratio is so simple is a little interesting.

little trivia: A10 is the smallest size (26 x 37 mm) - what on earth would you use that for??

ReputationRep:
    oh dear god, both crazy chemist and silence are coming to birmingham for uni, silence, you better not find my house and paint it on my front garden, my mom wouldn't be to best pleased, lol

also if your coming to brum, u better get used to mate, its just a general greeting if your gonna be that uptight, you prob wont find someone who will actually call u their mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    oh dear god, both crazy chemist and silence are coming to birmingham for uni, silence, you better not find my house and paint it on my front garden, my mom wouldn't be to best pleased, lol

also if your coming to brum, u better get used to mate, its just a general greeting if your gonna be that uptight, you prob wont find someone who will actually call u their mate
    it's bloody difficult to convey irony and sarcasm on text. i was trying to be a little mocking to the thread, but failed pretty badly. subtlety is perhaps not my strong point...

ReputationRep:
    just realised - you bothered to read and reply to the thread!

(Original post by mtbab)
    you better not find my house and paint it on my front garden, my mom wouldn't be to best pleased, lol
    paint it on my front garden...um, what's that supposed to mean? i think im going to have trouble in Aston...

ReputationRep:
    lol, i'm think i'm beggining to like you crazy, not to sure about silence though, lol, paint it on ya frton garden, means basically be in your face with it, bombard you with it, which was tru (fair do's silence)

aston's a good place, if i was gonna stay in brum for uni, i would prob wanna go aston, but brum is a LOT different to "tiny boring village called Llangynin" as we have people and shops and electricity, lol, just joking, but seriously, dont be scared by a major culture shock, a mate of mine came from Brecon to brum for uni last year, and she was like woh!, the one thing she said which shocked her, was that at night the amount of rats in town, which i spose, us brummies get used to now, and few rats in town in the mid of the square, but she was scared. but you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    wow that was a long post!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    lol, i'm think i'm beggining to like you crazy, not to sure about silence though, lol, paint it on ya frton garden, means basically be in your face with it, bombard you with it, which was tru (fair do's silence)
    ah - gotcha :rolleyes:

(Original post by mtbab)
    aston's a good place, if i was gonna stay in brum for uni, i would prob wanna go aston, but brum is a LOT different to "tiny boring village called Llangynin" as we have people and shops and electricity, lol, just joking, but seriously, dont be scared by a major culture shock, a mate of mine came from Brecon to brum for uni last year, and she was like woh!, the one thing she said which shocked her, was that at night the amount of rats in town, which i spose, us brummies get used to now, and few rats in town in the mid of the square, but she was scared. but you'll be fine
    lol - thanks - trust me, i can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    right.

today i actually witnessed the sheer wonder of this phenomenon. by folding a piece of A4 paper in a certain way (so that the longer side of 297mm is folded back to have one end of the length as the origin for the folding point, and the other end touching the parallel opposite length). an isosceles triangle is then formed, resultantly being one half of a square (which would be 210x210mm), with the base being √2 in arbitrary units, relative to the sides having a length of 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silence)
    isn't this cool

the ratio of side lengths for standard paper (i.e. A4, A5... A3.. A1..) is 1:√2

i.e. 210:297mm for A4 :cool:
    is it the divine ratio? 1.618 etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silence)
    isn't this cool

the ratio of side lengths for standard paper (i.e. A4, A5... A3.. A1..) is 1:√2

i.e. 210:297mm for A4 :cool:
    Just when you think life cant get anymore wonderful.

Thank you for this precious information. I will treasure it for all eternity. I might have it on my epitath :rolleyes: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ldonaghy)
    is it the divine ratio? 1.618 etc?
    1.1412 something i think

(Original post by KdySk8rGirl)
    I might have it on my epitath
    ph. why not go one set further and have the tombstone in fact made from paper.

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.