Antisemitism? Watch

This discussion is closed.
girl_in_keele
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Bismarck)
Getting what rights back? The Palestinians never had sovereignty. The only difference is who controlled their land. It's Israel now, Egypt and Jordan before that, Britain before that, Turkey before that, and various Arab and Christian kingdoms before then. You're talking about giving back something that never existed.
Then clearly I've got my facts wrong (holds hands up). So could you tell me what land the Isreali government are bulldozing then? All I know is that Palestinians homes have been bulldozed and I believe that to be an infringment of Human Rights.
Bismarck
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by girl_in_keele)
Then clearly I've got my facts wrong (holds hands up). So could you tell me what land the Isreali government are bulldozing then? All I know is that Palestinians homes have been bulldozed and I believe that to be an infringment of Human Rights.
The situation isn't clear. Technically speaking, no one has sovereignty over Palestine, including the Palestinians. Israel has not annexed either Gaza or the West Bank (though it did annex Eastern Jerusalem, even if the UN doesn't recognize the annexation). The best description of Israel in relation to Palestine would be an occupying power. An occupying power has the right and responsibility to run the occupied territories in as just a manner as possible. Israel applies most of its own laws to the territories, which is fair by any reasonable standard. The Israeli government has the right to destroy any house build without a valid permit, which means that is has the full right to bulldoze Palestinian (or Israeli) houses that don't have a permit. The problem is that the Israeli government intentionally doesn't issue an adequate amount of housing permits to Palestinians, which means most of their houses are not build legally. In essense, bulldozing the houses is perfectly legal; the problem is that Israel created a situation where most Palestinians can't get housing permits.
Person
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yemen: regular tribal warfare and civil wars, most recent 1994.
Libya: regular intervention in neighbouring countries, most notably Chad.
Civil warfare and tribal war is not the same as oppressive government killing.

Hama and black Septmeber were bad no doubt, but they were not against Syrians or Jordanians. So not really their 'own people.' These are also one off events and not a 50 year systematic attempt to steal land.

In regard to Palestine never having solidarity. Palestinians DID however, own their homes which is good enough for me.
Bismarck
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Northumbrian)
In regard to Palestine never having solidarity. Palestinians DID however, own their homes which is good enough for me.
Not according to Israeli law they didn't.
tele-skier
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by LC01)
1.The zionists have influence in a lot of areas including many of the worlds financial markets.
2.I personally belive between 300 000-2million jews dies in the holocaust. (sorry to be so vague)

Try 6 Million.

TS
Weejimmie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Northumbrian)
Civil warfare and tribal war is not the same as oppressive government killing.
Distinguish, please? What are tribes but small governments? What is a civil war but a drastic way of deciding who is the government? How do you tell oppressive government killing from unoppressive killing?
Hama and black Septmeber were bad no doubt, but they were not against Syrians or Jordanians. So not really their 'own people.' These are also one off events and not a 50 year systematic attempt to steal land.
Eh? Black September was the Jordanian army's suppression of the PLO's "state within a state" in Jordan. Hama is a town in Syria where the Muslim Brotherhood rebelled. the Syrian army moved in to suppress them and killed between ten and twenty five thousand Syrian civilians.
Certainly. However it was only very recently that the Palestinian leadership followed the UN in recognising Israel's existence in any way and sio could argue the case legally.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (223)
40.55%
Nope, not that interesting (218)
39.64%

Watched Threads