The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Linguistics at UCL

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Zetland
I had Dr. Willis too. I didn't so much as find him scary, just incredibly cold towards me. It was like he'd rejected me before I even walked into the room.

And I'm really quite angry about my application. I had 4 perfect modules under my belt and had sacrificed so much to get into Cambridge before they basically told me I wasn't good enough.

I'm quite happy about my UCL offer though, I just don't know much about the place yet. What do most people do with their free time? I think I'll drop out in a heartbeat if clubbing's the standard student activity...

clubbing in london is tres cher so i doubt everyone will be into that! there's loads do to in london though; shopping, working, visiting sights, going to the cinema, bowling, eating, concerts... so i doubt you'll get bored easily!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Okay, I can't be botheres to quote everyone so if you want to know the answers to your questions (or those that I rememebr having read through the whole thread!), hopwfully you'll read this!

I'm another first year on the Linguistics degree - I'm currently enrolled on the International Programme, but may alter that when it comes to nearer the time - it's very acceptable and easy to transfer between the two.

I don't know how much of the course info. you've all been given so I'll provide a basic run-down - in term one, you take 4 modules; in Generative Grammar (ie. syntax), Phonetics and Phonology, Logic and Meaning (sort of semantics) and Child Language Acquistion. We have 10 hours of contact time a week - 5 of lectures and 5 of seminars, and lots of outside reading to do.In second term, you take 4 more modules, still in syntax, phonetics and semantics and also in Intro to Language which is an overview of the linguistics field in general.

For people asking if it's accelerated, then I guess it is - but I have nothing to compare it to! The way that UCL structures their teaching means that there's only exams in the third term and so all teaching is finished by the Easter holidays - this is true for all UCL departments, to my knowledge, and means you get an epically long summer!

For people who are worried that it's too 'sciencey' -well, linguistics is a mix of sciences and arts - and UCL gets the balance pretty accurate. Neurolinguistics is not taught explicitly at all as far as I know, although you can take modules outside of the department in your second and third year and so can partake in neurology modules if you wish too :smile:

The lecturers are fantastic - part of what makes UCL so innovative and world-class is the fact that the majority of their lecturers are involved in current research - which means that your tutor could well have written your textbook or any linguistics-related story which hits the headlines (oh - how rare they are!) may include quotes from the department etc. It also means that any ground-breaking discoveries which are made could well have very close links to UCL - our lecturers often reference the man who devised the IPA (claim to fame much?!) :smile:

I hope I don't sound too much like UCL are paying me to express their awesomeness - to me, it feels like something I was 'meant' to do - and I couldn't imagine being anywhere else!

In reference to uni applications in general, I'd say go with where you get the best 'vibe' and where you feel the happiest - because that's probably the place for you. Forget other peoples' influences - you're the onew who has to spend 3 or 4 years there and you need to be happy. Don't simply go for the best reputation/cheapest accomodation/wildest nightlife (or whatever else!) - consider where has everything you want and the best mix. Also take into account how far you want to be from home, options and flexibility (ie. years abroad, modules outside of dept.) and of course, the course structure itself!

Anyhow, it's 1am and I have a mass spend-up planned for tomorrow which is currently occupying my thoughts and so I've forgotten the other questions! If anyone ahs anything they really want answered or any more/specific questions, feel free to quote or PM me and I'll attempt to reply (usually when avoiding Haegeman reading - if you come here, you'll have to suffer her too potentially - only bad aspect I've found!) :smile:
JonCha
Glad to see someone else is planning to go to Leeds like moi, even though UCL may potentially give me an offer around January 11th.

Hellooo, if I remember correctly were you another person who had the 21st December deadline or something for the questionnaire? If so, have you heard anything yet aside from an e-mail acknowledging the fact they've received it? I'm getting really stressed out now, thinking they might've rejected me :/
Reply 43
Quail
Hellooo, if I remember correctly were you another person who had the 21st December deadline or something for the questionnaire? If so, have you heard anything yet aside from an e-mail acknowledging the fact they've received it? I'm getting really stressed out now, thinking they might've rejected me :/

My deadine was 2nd Jan, or something, I can't remember the exact date.

And no, I haven't heard anything. They said I would know around the start of term (11th Jan), and being as I've heard nothing I'm guessing a rejection is coming straight my way. Not that I'm too bothered - I've got offers from Leeds and Queen Mary.
Reply 44
Hi!

I received an offer for UCL Linguistics (International Programme) and am trying to decide whether to accept or to proceed with my application to French universities (their Linguistics course concentrates more on the French language, literature and culture). I would like to clarify the following:

1. Graduate studies and career
- Would studying at UCL rather than in France give me more options in the future in my graduate studies and my career?

2. International Programme
- There are no French universities listed, but I noticed that the French department has partnerships with quite a few. Would they allow me to apply for one of those via the French department?
- The number of Course Units during the year abroad is the same as that of other years (and includes stuff like portfolio building, research, etc). Wouldn't that mean we would have to do double the work, if we have to fulfill those Course Units on top of the modules for the overseas University?

Thanks!
Reply 45
Thanks a lot for the reply! I actually emailed them last week to ask about the French universities but they have yet to reply. :redface:
Hey everyone,

I'm a second year linguistics undergrad at UCL. When I applied, I never knew anything about these questionnaires you all seem to mention. Have they been in place very long do any of you know? I'm not sure whether anybody else in my year had to fill one out...
TurboCretin
Hey everyone,

I'm a second year linguistics undergrad at UCL. When I applied, I never knew anything about these questionnaires you all seem to mention. Have they been in place very long do any of you know? I'm not sure whether anybody else in my year had to fill one out...

No idea how long they've been around! It's only like five questions (six if you're applying for the International Programme) sent via. e-mail, and it's basically just an extension of your personal statement. That's what it felt like to me anyway.

The people in my batch have been waiting for an incredibly long time now for our responses, so we're all a bit anxious I think.
Still waiting to see if i get an offer... it's nerve wracking! All my other offers came in months ago :s-smilie:
Reply 49
so... who's sitting on a firm for UCL? :smile:
I'll be interested to find out who's firming UCL also, as I'll be a mentor in the coming year. Anybody who's firming may well be seeing a lot of me, especially if you're in my mentor group.
vintage_007
Okay, I can't be botheres to quote everyone so if you want to know the answers to your questions (or those that I rememebr having read through the whole thread!), hopwfully you'll read this!

I'm another first year on the Linguistics degree - I'm currently enrolled on the International Programme, but may alter that when it comes to nearer the time - it's very acceptable and easy to transfer between the two.

I don't know how much of the course info. you've all been given so I'll provide a basic run-down - in term one, you take 4 modules; in Generative Grammar (ie. syntax), Phonetics and Phonology, Logic and Meaning (sort of semantics) and Child Language Acquistion. We have 10 hours of contact time a week - 5 of lectures and 5 of seminars, and lots of outside reading to do.In second term, you take 4 more modules, still in syntax, phonetics and semantics and also in Intro to Language which is an overview of the linguistics field in general.

For people asking if it's accelerated, then I guess it is - but I have nothing to compare it to! The way that UCL structures their teaching means that there's only exams in the third term and so all teaching is finished by the Easter holidays - this is true for all UCL departments, to my knowledge, and means you get an epically long summer!

For people who are worried that it's too 'sciencey' -well, linguistics is a mix of sciences and arts - and UCL gets the balance pretty accurate. Neurolinguistics is not taught explicitly at all as far as I know, although you can take modules outside of the department in your second and third year and so can partake in neurology modules if you wish too :smile:

The lecturers are fantastic - part of what makes UCL so innovative and world-class is the fact that the majority of their lecturers are involved in current research - which means that your tutor could well have written your textbook or any linguistics-related story which hits the headlines (oh - how rare they are!) may include quotes from the department etc. It also means that any ground-breaking discoveries which are made could well have very close links to UCL - our lecturers often reference the man who devised the IPA (claim to fame much?!) :smile:

I hope I don't sound too much like UCL are paying me to express their awesomeness - to me, it feels like something I was 'meant' to do - and I couldn't imagine being anywhere else!

In reference to uni applications in general, I'd say go with where you get the best 'vibe' and where you feel the happiest - because that's probably the place for you. Forget other peoples' influences - you're the onew who has to spend 3 or 4 years there and you need to be happy. Don't simply go for the best reputation/cheapest accomodation/wildest nightlife (or whatever else!) - consider where has everything you want and the best mix. Also take into account how far you want to be from home, options and flexibility (ie. years abroad, modules outside of dept.) and of course, the course structure itself!

Anyhow, it's 1am and I have a mass spend-up planned for tomorrow which is currently occupying my thoughts and so I've forgotten the other questions! If anyone ahs anything they really want answered or any more/specific questions, feel free to quote or PM me and I'll attempt to reply (usually when avoiding Haegeman reading - if you come here, you'll have to suffer her too potentially - only bad aspect I've found!) :smile:

Hi Alisha! LOL
Reply 52
Original post by Quail
No idea how long they've been around! It's only like five questions (six if you're applying for the International Programme) sent via. e-mail, and it's basically just an extension of your personal statement. That's what it felt like to me anyway.

The people in my batch have been waiting for an incredibly long time now for our responses, so we're all a bit anxious I think.

hey, i'm applying for linguistics (international prog.) this year- 2011 entry. sent my application off on the oxbridge deadline but I've heard nothing from ucl about the questionnaire. do they send one to everybody? what time of year did you receive yours?

cheers, Kobie :tongue:
Original post by Kobie
hey, i'm applying for linguistics (international prog.) this year- 2011 entry. sent my application off on the oxbridge deadline but I've heard nothing from ucl about the questionnaire. do they send one to everybody? what time of year did you receive yours?

Hello!

I received mine in early December I think? Be warned though: all the correspondence surrounding the e-mail took an absolute AGE last year! They don't send one to everybody as far as I'm aware, the first stage is either rejection or questionnaire, and then the second stage is rejection or invitation to the UCAS day at the department. I had no idea about this, but apparently last year 125ish people applied for what turned out to be 36 places in the department! Of those though, only four of the people on my course are International Programme people. From the pattern last year, it seems like no news is good news, as rejections seem to take place before any mention of questionnaires. It's coursework time right now as well so the department is a bit mental, so don't worry if it seems to be taking ages!
Reply 54
Original post by Quail
Hello!

I received mine in early December I think? Be warned though: all the correspondence surrounding the e-mail took an absolute AGE last year! They don't send one to everybody as far as I'm aware, the first stage is either rejection or questionnaire, and then the second stage is rejection or invitation to the UCAS day at the department. I had no idea about this, but apparently last year 125ish people applied for what turned out to be 36 places in the department! Of those though, only four of the people on my course are International Programme people. From the pattern last year, it seems like no news is good news, as rejections seem to take place before any mention of questionnaires. It's coursework time right now as well so the department is a bit mental, so don't worry if it seems to be taking ages!

got my questionnaire this morning :tongue: no rejection coming my way for another 2 weeks at least now!

do you know of anyone who applied for international programme and were offered the standard 3 year one instead? apparently this does happen when the IP's oversubscribed but eh, idk.

any idea what kind of % of applicants who do the questionnaire get an open day invite? because i like to overanalyse things and fret about whether or not i'll get an offer from my favourite place :biggrin:
Original post by Kobie
got my questionnaire this morning :tongue: no rejection coming my way for another 2 weeks at least now!

do you know of anyone who applied for international programme and were offered the standard 3 year one instead? apparently this does happen when the IP's oversubscribed but eh, idk.

any idea what kind of % of applicants who do the questionnaire get an open day invite? because i like to overanalyse things and fret about whether or not i'll get an offer from my favourite place :biggrin:

Wahey!

Well in my year, we only have four people on the IP, so I don't think there's much chance of it being oversubscribed :wink: People can drop out of it or enter into it later in the degree anyway so it shouldn't be too much of a problem either way!

I don't actually know anyone who didn't get an open day invite based on their questionnaire, but apparently one person on my course knows someone who got rejected based on theirs. Sorry, not very helpful, I know :p:
Reply 56
Original post by Kobie

Hey, I'm sitting on an offer to attend the open day for the international programme, I got it at the beginning of this month. So I suppose a bunch of them are coming out now-ish...
Reply 57
Original post by Snikle
Hey, I'm sitting on an offer to attend the open day for the international programme, I got it at the beginning of this month. So I suppose a bunch of them are coming out now-ish...

i got mine just before christmas :tongue: went to the open day last week, absolutely amazing! if that doesn't convince you to firm them, nothing will.

which country are you thinking of for the international programme? i'm pretty keen on canada. though it would be nice of them to team up with a few more unis abroad, looks like a lot of people are getting IP offers this year :rolleyes:
Reply 58
Original post by Kobie
i got mine just before christmas :tongue: went to the open day last week, absolutely amazing! if that doesn't convince you to firm them, nothing will.

which country are you thinking of for the international programme? i'm pretty keen on canada. though it would be nice of them to team up with a few more unis abroad, looks like a lot of people are getting IP offers this year :rolleyes:

Lol well done! I'm going to mine at the beginning of March. I'm still reallly iffy about going to a London Uni. I really wanted Campus Collegiate style... But the course is simple sublime so it will be a tough one.

I wanted Arizona originally but now I think not. I'll probably see what Canada has to offer too, generally I'm focusing on North American as I would like to do a MA over there :smile:

Did they already give you your graded offer? Or are you still waiting for confirmation?
I find it funny that the phonetics textbook for the Cambridge linguistics programme was written by one of our lecturers at UCL.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending