The Student Room Group

£20 a week for food..enough??

Basically I took a year out and worked for my parents company as sort of an administrator role. Where I mainly just post job vacancies on a selection of job boards on the internet.

They said instead of my leaving, I could do my work from my laptop whilst I’m at uni. So they would send me the jobs and I would have to spend about 1 hour a day putting some of theses on, and they would pay me £400 a month…

They are doing this so I’m basically paying off my maintenance loan for the 1st year. Every month if I put all the wage away apart from £80 (£20 for each week) it will add up to the cost of my loan….

Then when I get another part time job in a bar (hopefully) that money can be my money for nights out and stuff…

Would this work?? And is it realistic to have enough food a week for £20?:confused: :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
£400 a week for some copying and pasting yes please
£20 is not realistic, no.
So you get £80 an hour? Spoilt much?
Reply 4
£20 for food should be fine.
depends where you shop, i could do mine for less than that, just depends if you have a netto nearby
Reply 6
£400 !
*calls HM revenue*
Reply 7
You could live on £20 a week. It won't be much fun though :P
Reply 8
I dunno, perhaps if you lived off packet pasta from home bargains?
Reply 9
I couldn't live off £20 a week for food.
Reply 10
If you shop cleverly then that would probably be more than enough, excluding meals out, or if you're living in London or somewhere stupidly expensive like that.
It's not ideal, but you can do it.

I must say though, that your diet will be restricted to very basic meals unless you learn some cooking basics.

You'll have roughly £2.85 a day for food. I know I can make a huge packed lunch for just over £1 with: sandwiches, can of pop, crisps, 2 pieces of fruit, kitchen towel and either a yoghurt or a cake bar or something.

If you restrict yourself to water, which is better for you anyway, then you can still have £1.85 for dindins. If you think of a tin of soup with a couple of slices of bread or a crusty roll, or a ready meal from Asda or Tesco, you can have an instant meal quite cheap. To go one step further, if you learn to cook a bit, sweet and sour stir fry won't set you back much more than £2 if you go for Smart Price bags of veg, and it'll do you more than 1 night too. And of course, there's always pasta.

It's possible, but not ideal.

Edit: breakfast sorry! Porridge! :biggrin: It's a couple of quid for a few kilos of it from Asda; it'll last you a couple of weeks.
of course it's doable, I lived off £25 a fornight this year and I was never short of food or ideas. You just need to shop around properly - go for discounted brands or offers and see what works out cheaper, buy things that you will use a lot of in bulk rather than smaller packets, buy dried things like pulses and beans and most importantly, learn how to cook. That will save you infinite amounts of money. Buy stuff that you can freeze as well and make stuff that if you make too much of it you can freeze and eat another day, don't buy things that won't get used up cos it really is a waste. Pasta sauce jars are alright or you can make your own sauce dead easy as well.

On the other hand morrison's do £2 for 2 pizzas and stuff like that, but then you'll end up getting fat.
If you're going to live on pasta and noodles then yes. But it won't be much fun.
You will probably manage it if you only buy essentials but, as someone has already said, it's not gonna be much fun!

Btw, I would love to have your job! :smile:
Reply 15
I'd hit Lidl and Poundland, but for one person £20 should be enough.

Just won't be much variation at mealtime.
Reply 16
You could definitey, 100% without a doubt live on £20 for food a week. Infact, that's more than enough. Anyone that says otherwise is clearly greedy or shops at Waitrose.

I literally can't believe you get £400 to do that. It's actually shocking. I hope you're paying your taxes like the rest of us, because that will blatantly put your income above the threshold for students...
I live on about a tenner a week for food, with an extra £20 shop once a month for staple stuff and pre-drink booze.
But then again it's a case of having to with the amount I spend on going out!
I tend to eat plain pasta, plain rice or plain jacket potatoes with plenty of fruit during the day, but i'm not fussy so it's fine for me.
Reply 18
I normally spend about £25 a week on food.
Reply 19
marcusmerehay
I live on about a tenner a week for food, with an extra £20 shop once a month for staple stuff and pre-drink booze.
But then again it's a case of having to with the amount I spend on going out!
I tend to eat plain pasta, plain rice or plain jacket potatoes with plenty of fruit during the day, but i'm not fussy so it's fine for me.

How on earth can you live on £10 a week? Even with the £20 once a month shop that sounds like very low! (average £15/week). I assume you go home at weekends or something?

And on the contrary, if you tend you eat plain pasta, plain rice or plain jacket potatoes that's usually the definition of a fussy eater tbh :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending