The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What on earth do some of you people buy and where do you shop, because I really don't think it's that hard to food shop on a budget of £20 a week... and I eat a good variety and get my 5 fruit and veg a day.
Reply 21
Gamer99
£400 a week for some copying and pasting yes please

meant a month..my bad
UKTopGun
How on earth can you live on £10 a week? Even with the £20 once a month shop that sounds like very low! (average £15/week). I assume you go home at weekends or something?

And on the contrary, if you tend you eat plain pasta, plain rice or plain jacket potatoes that's usually the definition of a fussy eater tbh :p:

Think how cheap a couple of kilos of pasta/rice/spuds is/are. Then you'll see my point :p:

The way I meant 'fussy' was that i'm not bothered by the fact they're plain, but yes, I am indeed a fussy eater, so good guess :biggrin:
Reply 23
WhatawickedDJ
So you get £80 an hour? Spoilt much?

again meant to say £400 a month...so £100 a week
Reply 24
F- you, £400 a week for 7 hours work, you bastard. Let me do the mathm you marking £20k a year, your maintence loan is what, about £3k, so you will have 17k left, and you want to spend 20 quid a week, £1000 on food. f kkk me you are tight! or made.
I spend about £85 a week for a family of 4, so yes you could probably manage on £20 a week. £25 a week would probably be more realistic but I think you'd get by. Shop at Netto.
I can easily spend around £10 a week on food. And I have quite a varied diet from that. It's just knowing what to buy from Lidl, really.
Reply 27
fxytimi
F- you, £400 a week for 7 hours work, you bastard. Let me do the mathm you marking £20k a year, your maintence loan is what, about £3k, so you will have 17k left, and you want to spend 20 quid a week, £1000 on food. f kkk me you are tight! or made.

haha i wish it was that!!

i made a typo - its £400 a month. so £100 a week, my rent is £80 a week so £20 left for food.
Reply 28
fxytimi

Ditto...

You want to pay off your loan as you go... Live a little mate!
Debt is no fun but it is quite tight what you're doing, fair enough for those that need to budget to the extreme maybe £30 a week seeing as though you are going to get £400 a month for some pansy-arse job that takes the most an hr you said.

I say £30 a week considering you have a job, and if you are sticking to £20 then buy everything in bulk first then it will definitely take you a long way to buying small packets of food
If you buy like rice/noodles/pasta etc you probably could. But I wouldn't like to try! My budget for uni is gonna be about £70 a week, but that's gonna be for everything.. clothes, books, alcohol, food, phone bill etc! & I'm gonna struggle with that no doubt, but it's all I've saved up! Realllyyy don't wanna have to get a loan though!
Reply 30
WhatawickedDJ
So you get £80 an hour? Spoilt much?

might want to check your calculations lol.
And just as an aside - why do you want to pay off your maintenance loan? You will never get debt on such favourable terms again. Why deprive yourself now when you can pay it back later when you're earning quite a lot? I'd take the loan and do the job, personally. If you would much prefer to not spend the money, shove it in an ISA.
Reply 32
Gemma :)!
If you buy like rice/noodles/pasta etc you probably could. But I wouldn't like to try! My budget for uni is gonna be about £70 a week, but that's gonna be for everything.. clothes, books, alcohol, food, phone bill etc!

May I interest you in a loan..! lol

These 2 are a killer... books aren't cheap especially for uni, and considering one bookcost you £30... alcohol well I don't know whether you are an excessive party animal lol.

You do realise you aren't olbiged to use every ££ of your loan... if you don't want to use it keep it for emergency times.
If you don't use the whole £3000 in the year kudos to you, you are great at budgetting.

I rather be safe then stuck somewhere without money and thinking oh crapo! and no money to pay!
Reply 33
how much fun do you people get from eating?
are you presuming the £20 is including alcohol?
Reply 34
IeuanF
I can easily spend around £10 a week on food. And I have quite a varied diet from that. It's just knowing what to buy from Lidl, really.

LOL. You spend £10 a week on food- therefore adding up to just over £1 a day- and think you have a varied diet? You must either be having a laugh or weigh 5 stone- or rely entirely on crappy processed Smartprice ready meals or something.

I am a student but not a typical one- live with my boyfriend and we have a cat too. I spend around £50-£60 a week on food in Asda excluding takeaways and the odd milk I get from the corner shop, and we don't eat extremely luxuriously. I just don't buy that much Smartprice. It's not physically possible to live on £10 a week and eat meals such as chilli concarne (made yourself), sausages mash and vegetables, chicken fajitas, chicken boiled potatoes and veg etc.

You can probably live on £20 a week but like many people said before me, it probably will be a tad boring. If it were me, I would make it £30, thus allowing yourself more snacks and a few treat purchases.
Reply 35
DarkWhite
I know I can make a huge packed lunch for just over £1 with: sandwiches, can of pop, crisps, 2 pieces of fruit, kitchen towel and either a yoghurt or a cake bar or something.

You're scrimping too hard if you think kitchen towel is a food :tongue:
Reply 36
IeuanF
And just as an aside - why do you want to pay off your maintenance loan? You will never get debt on such favourable terms again. Why deprive yourself now when you can pay it back later when you're earning quite a lot? I'd take the loan and do the job, personally. If you would much prefer to not spend the money, shove it in an ISA.

:yep:

:woo:

but gay thing is they allocate it in blocks... as far as i'm concerned
I used to go shopping every two weeks (as I was lazy) and spent around 40 quid, so it´s certainly doable.
AshleyT
might want to check your calculations lol.

400 a week, one hour a day, 5 working days. 400/5 = 80? lol
dozyboo
LOL. You spend £10 a week on food- therefore adding up to just over £1 a day- and think you have a varied diet? You must either be having a laugh or weigh 5 stone- or rely entirely on crappy processed Smartprice ready meals or something.

I shop in Lidl.

I eat pasta (with assorted pasta sauces), quite a lot of fish, sometimes sausages or bacon, sometimes pizza, lots of broccoli, cabbage, peppers, onion, rice from time to time, eggs, sometimes burgers, lots of potatoes, quite a bit of cereal, bananas, apples and various other fruits. Oooh, and apple strudels. Can't get enough of the apple strudels.

And I weight around 9 1/2 to 10 stone - which is about right for my height.

Latest