Turn on thread page Beta

Are you religious? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TIGTIG)
    I'm a proud affiest a none believer RELIGION CAUSES WAR just look at pallistine. I do respect religion I find judiasim and muslim more beleive able however their bibles have not been changed christianitys bible has been totally edited. NO RELIGION CAN BE PROVED.
    Just as you cannot prove that religion doesn't exist, hardly an argument in itself. Also it is not religion that causes wars, no religion tells people to go out and start wars. However, religion is often used as a reason to legitimise a war that has been started for reasons that are purely selfish eg gaining land.

ReputationRep:
    I've argued this so many times before and it's impossible to come to a conclusion. Religious people are brainwashed to the core and there's no changing their minds. Religion causes pain, war and misery and that's just something we have to live with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    I've argued this so many times before and it's impossible to come to a conclusion. Religious people are brainwashed to the core and there's no changing their minds. Religion causes pain, war and misery and that's just something we have to live with.
    Surely you can see that it is not the religion that causes the pain and misery but rather the mispractise of it. Take christianity for example where does this advocate the need for pain and misery?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarco)
    Just as you cannot prove that religion doesn't exist, hardly an argument in itself. Also it is not religion that causes wars, no religion tells people to go out and start wars. However, religion is often used as a reason to legitimise a war that has been started for reasons that are purely selfish eg gaining land.
    No the land in palistine is thought of as holy land both jews and muslims are fighting over it because both believe their gods come from there
    DONT TELL ME RELIGION DOES NOT CAUSE WAR.
    also there are more reasons and arguements out there to prove religion cant be proved,yes you may argue to me the opp but in the thnk,
    What is relligion exactly?Its just someones therory on how life was made,are you able to take their word the past was so long ago also
    religion is so modern.

ReputationRep:
    You're mis-informed. Jews don't believe that god comes from palestine. This is very incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fanny ****er)
    YES CATHLOCISM IS REAL! YOU WILL BURN IN HELL FOR ETERNITY FOR SAYING THAT! THAT IS BLASPHEMY! I AM AN IRISH CATHLIC I WAS TOLD NOT TO BLAPHEME!
    why is there so much secrecy of christianity then? explain why stigmartas are kept in the dark many documentarys have been made showing how it has been edited catholic religion actually originated from russia so you know can you translate ancient texts no so how do you know the bible has not been edited.

LOL I'd love to burn in hell its where all the bad guys hand

ReputationRep:
    No the land in palistine is thought of as holy land both jews and muslims are fighting over it because both believe their gods come from there
    DONT TELL ME RELIGION DOES NOT CAUSE WAR.
    also there are more reasons and arguements out there to prove religion cant be proved,yes you may argue to me the opp but in the thnk,
    What is relligion exactly?Its just someones therory on how life was made,are you able to take their word the past was so long ago also
    religion is so modern.
    Ok so in some cases there are conflicts in which religion has caused war but not all religions have this view on life.
    Also why can't i tell you that that religion does not cause war i thought freedom of speech existed or am i wrong.... no need to shout as well.
    I agree religion cannot be proved as it is a personal thing and the whole point is of having faith in god. However, you cannot send anyone in the world round to my house who will disprove religion, what evidence exactly is there?
    That seems to be your understanding of religion i personally, note my own opinion, see it as much more than just someone randomly making up a theory on how life was made. Just because it is old does not mean it should be devalued at all, just because modern technology is progressing past understanding should not be discarded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    You're mis-informed. Jews don't believe that god comes from palestine. This is very incorrect.
    YEAH they do are you getting confused with JESUS
    any way its holy land

ReputationRep:
    YEAH they do are you getting confused with JESUS
    any way its holy land
    Please don't tell me. I am jewish i think i may know. The reason why Jews value Israel as a religious site is because it was where the temple was. The western wall is the nearest that the jews can get to the temple nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Please don't tell me. I am jewish i think i may know. The reason why Jews value Israel as a religious site is because it was where the temple was. The western wall is the nearest that the jews can get to the temple nowadays.
    Yes TIGTIG seems to be very badly informed about religion in general especially certain ones such as Judaism.

ReputationRep:
    If people don't have the knowledge of certain religions they shouldn't comment and then tell them that their religion is something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    If people don't have the knowledge of certain religions they shouldn't comment and then tell them that their religion is something else.
    Exactly, its too easy to get along by just listening to the media and very subjective views that others may have.

hey!! and ya what's your religion??!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarco)
    Ok so in some cases there are conflicts in which religion has caused war but not all religions have this view on life.
    Also why can't i tell you that that religion does not cause war i thought freedom of speech existed or am i wrong.... no need to shout as well.
    I agree religion cannot be proved as it is a personal thing and the whole point is of having faith in god. However, you cannot send anyone in the world round to my house who will disprove religion, what evidence exactly is there?
    That seems to be your understanding of religion i personally, note my own opinion, see it as much more than just someone randomly making up a theory on how life was made. Just because it is old does not mean it should be devalued at all, just because modern technology is progressing past understanding should not be discarded.
    I never said I dont believe in religion I respect reigion
    how is saying it cant be proved how is this disapproving of religion
    everyone can be septical about it even when part of it.
    Religion is not old it is a modern thing when you think about it no cave man produced a bible.
    Religion does cause war irish prodestant and catholics.
    Iraq and the "holy war"
    palistine
    some do promote peace and harmony but will fight for their religion"holy war" when it is insulted,Why has religion become that important to the point the value of human life is diluded
    religion can restrict the role of the woman in most religions putting forward their Ideology of how their lives should be run,your idea of happiness is your opinion I beg to differ
    I find nothing wrong with anyones views on this area it just adds tto how we all feel so we gat a more broader look

ReputationRep:
    Religion does lead to war. It's the fear of the unknown, all wars and poor treatment have been due to lack knowledg about a culture or religion. eg. Nazis, america and iraq, anything really. Anything that leads to splits in culture will inevitably lead to conflicts. Whether this means religion needs to be abolished, or a greater awareness of other religions and cultures, i don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    you have a temple to fight for the muslims have the foundations of god to fight for
    please could you quote me a part of your bible you value dearly in life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Religion does lead to war. It's the fear of unknown, all wars and poor treatment have been due to lack of culture or religion. eg. Nazis, america and iraq, anything really. Anything that leads to splits in culture will inevitably lead to conflicts. Whether this means religion needs to be abolished, or a greater awareness of other religions and cultures, i don't know.
    How is culture defined by you exactly.Religion is a culture.differences in religion cause war,you've just repeated me really cause thats what i've been getting at.

ReputationRep:
    please could you quote me a part of your bible you value dearly in life
    Firstly, where did i say anything about me being religious or holding my bible that i value dearly as you so put it? I have no idea what you're point is, i was correcting when you stated that god came from palestine which is completely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    How is culture defined by you exactly.Religion is a culture.differences in religion cause war,you've just repeated me really cause thats what i've been getting at.
    you could also through in that pollitics causes wars but what is pollitics based on Religion of course.

ReputationRep:
    I do agree with you.

Culture, can be anything in my opinion, different races eg. black culture, middle-eastern culture.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.