Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by eric bischoff)
    are you religious and if you are what is your religion?
    yes i'm religous and i'm a christian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    and your point is...?
    not much really, that these converted people havent really changed thatmuch at all
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MattG)
    not much really, that these converted people havent really changed thatmuch at all
    Well no we're all people doing what we need to do to get by.

I wouldn't say I converted though - I just grew out of christianity and found the idea of a higher power ludicrous, and the "sitting-on-the-fence"-ness of agnostism against my nature.

ReputationRep:

I just grew out of christianity and found the idea of a higher power ludicrous,
    You believe this because it is into stark contrast to what science has told us.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    You believe this because it is into stark contrast to what science has told us.
    Science actually had little to do with it...my interest in science grew later and just re-inforced my opinion.

When I was 4 I believed that god lived on my lightshade (it *was* a Mr Men one).

When I was 11 I looked around me and realised I didn't believe in any of it - higher powers, fate, the supernatural (although the romantic part of me still likes to consider these things) etc etc.

It just struck the 11 yr old me as a load of guff that people believe because it gets them through the day. They think about it when someone near to them dies or occassionally at christmas/easter/sunday and then forget about it for the rest of the time content in the knowledge that there is a god (or at least that was my impression).

I don't (and didn't then) need a god or a higher purpose to live a good life, I didn't need the threat of hell or the promise of heaven to make me do what is right. The idea of an afterlife I find absurd...if I'm wrong then I'll be presently surprised and eat my metaphorical hat.

The whole idea of abdicating responsibility for my actions to a higher power is against my personality. The idea of living a good life for any other reason than living a good life makes sense seems to me to be fooling yourself.

:shrug:

ReputationRep:
    Science actually had little to do with it...my interest in science grew later and just re-inforced my opinion.

When I was 4 I believed that god lived on my lightshade (it *was* a Mr Men one).

When I was 11 I looked around me and realised I didn't believe in any of it - higher powers, fate, the supernatural (although the romantic part of me still likes to consider these things) etc etc.

It just struck the 11 yr old me as a load of guff that people believe because it gets them through the day. They think about it when someone near to them dies or occassionally at christmas/easter/sunday and then forget about it for the rest of the time content in the knowledge that there is a god (or at least that was my impression).

I don't (and didn't then) need a god or a higher purpose to live a good life, I didn't need the threat of hell or the promise of heaven to make me do what is right. The idea of an afterlife I find absurd...if I'm wrong then I'll be presently surprised and eat my metaphorical hat.

The whole idea of abdicating responsibility for my actions to a higher power is against my personality. The idea of living a good life for any other reason than living a good life makes sense seems to me to be fooling yourself.

:shrug:
    Fair enough. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Fair enough. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
    Of course

I would never dream of trying to convert anyone - I'll only explain my beliefs and the reasoning behind them if asked.

As with most things in life what's right for me is in no way likely to be right for anyone else...I would be breaking my golden rule (which happens to coincide with Jesus' - do unto others as you would have them do unto you) if I tried to force my beliefs and opinions on others

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.