Turn on thread page Beta

Hmmm lack of culture... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There don't seem to be many people who are interested in theatre...which I personally find quite distressing! How often do you visit the theatre and what is your favourite play/musical?

ReputationRep:
    i absolutely LOVE the theatre, and find it rather depressing that most of my friends would rather die than accompany me! However i do see an awful lot of live theatre with my Theatre Studies class (as a main component of the course is live play reviewing...) i would have to say that my favourite musical is Fiddler on the Roof *sob* and modern play would have to be the outstandingly breathtaking "The Argument" as performed by Theatre O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel Lory)
    There don't seem to be many people who are interested in theatre...which I personally find quite distressing! How often do you visit the theatre and what is your favourite play/musical?
    I live far too far from anywhere to be able to go to the theatre often at all, but I did see Chicago on Broadway, and it was superb...

ReputationRep:
    Theatre is for posh people! I have seen Phantom of the Opera when I was younger though and really enjoyed it! I got a bit of a dry throat at the end and managed to hold back a tear.

ReputationRep:
    Very often, in fact I saw Blood Brothers in Manchester on Saturday - it was fantastic. Luckily, all the West End actors had stayed with it. Sometimes they use crappy actors instead up here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Very often, in fact I saw Blood Brothers in Manchester on Saturday - it was fantastic. Luckily, all the West End actors had stayed with it. Sometimes they use crappy actors instead up here
    Ahhhh yes I'm seeing the same company in Blood Brothers at Leeds Grand on Wednesday! glad you enjoyed it!! I'm seeing a play called "The Cost Of Living" by the infamous DV8 on Thursday night aswell...busy week!
    I'm glad there are some theatre goers on here!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately only once, Les Misserables. I absolutely loved it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Unfortunately only once, Les Misserables. I absolutely loved it.
    Favourite Musical: The Lion King and Les Mis
    Favourite play: A Beautiful Thing
    I go to the theatre about once a month

ReputationRep:
    im just about as interested in theatre and acting as you can get! hence all the bristol old vic youth theatre, drama school apps, antional theatre work etc!!!

dont say imnot cultured!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Borish)
    im just about as interested in theatre and acting as you can get! hence all the bristol old vic youth theatre, drama school apps, antional theatre work etc!!!

dont say imnot cultured!
    My mate's just started at the Drama Centre in London - he loves it, except the days are something ridiculous like 9am till 8pm...

I also have a friend in the NYO, with the biggest ego in the world, lol. love him anyway tho. im such a theatre fan, wish i cld afford to go more often! i was lucky though - was an extra in Bend it Like Beckham (classy film )

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a production of Cabaret at uni at the moment if that counts...

ReputationRep:
    I don't go to the theatre, and i hate musicals. But i often listen to classical music. So i guess i'm not that un-cultured.

ReputationRep:
    I love the theatre and musicals, but don't get to go that often as we don't live anywhere near London, so can only go to see shows when they come on tour to Birmingham/Wolverhampton, plus they're not exactly cheap! I've seen Cats 3 times, Les Mis, West Side Story and My Fair Lady as professional shows (oooh, and Phantom, on Broadway!), plus my sister's youth theatre company doing Annie Get Your Gun, West Side Story, Barnum and Jesus Christ Superstar (which was amazing )

I have a friend here who used to be in NYO, and he's lovely. Some of the musicians in my old county youth orchestra were really up themselves though, and it's really funny now I'm here, meeting people who are way better than them and so much less arrogant

ReputationRep:
    i LOVE IT.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the wretched state of regional theatre has much to do with the problem. Favourite play: The Tempest.

ReputationRep:
    The majority of the British are of the TV culture if they're anything like me they hated having to study shakespiere at school.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy musicals. Haven't seen many plays.

I grew up listening to the Miss Saigon soundtrack and have always loved it. Went to see it for my birthday when I was 7 or something, it was good but not as good as it had been apparently (my parents and brother had seen it before).

It's on at Southampton at the moment, I didn't realise it was still there, but I might see if I can get tickets, my friend is quite keen so might go with him.

ReputationRep:
    i must admit - musicals piss me right off, no depth at all, but saying that they did get me into theatre with the yearly school production - last year this year *sob* but laying fagin in 'Oliver!', so not a bad end!

i prefer things like View from the Bridge 'n' stuff, things with real ACTING in them, lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by picju96)
    I'm in a production of Cabaret at uni at the moment if that counts...
    my brother is doing that at the moment *is going to see it wednesday*... i don't get to the theatre that often. I love les mis + blood brothers, they both get me crying every time. i've also really enjoyed chicago and godspell. i love anything musical, i used to just about live in the philharmonic hall in liverpool- they still know my dad because he used to be at so many rehersals (i was in their youth choir).

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    my brother is doing that at the moment *is going to see it wednesday*... i don't get to the theatre that often. I love les mis + blood brothers, they both get me crying every time. i've also really enjoyed chicago and godspell. i love anything musical, i used to just about live in the philharmonic hall in liverpool- they still know my dad because he used to be at so many rehersals (i was in their youth choir).

lou xxx
    was a member of the bristol old vic also,until my young apprentice took over the shackles.theatre is enjoyable,and nourishing for the soul it should be enjoyed greedily.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.