Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by picju96)
    I'm in a production of Cabaret at uni at the moment if that counts...
    Yeah I just auditioned for a cabaret night called "Sax, Lies and Videotape" at my sixth form at the moment. Its directed by someone younger than me tho hehe which is...interesting. Duno whether I've got a part yet unfortunately...though my boyfriend is the MD - so I may just get something hehe
    Glad to see so many people DO enjoy the Theatre...and even gladder that I'm going tomorrow night!! A lot of you seem in favour of the big razzle dazzle stuff though, anyone seen any devised pieces and liked/hated them? I once saw this play called Hanging Man...was the damn funniest thing I've ever seen and the set was phenomenal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel Lory)
    There don't seem to be many people who are interested in theatre...which I personally find quite distressing! How often do you visit the theatre and what is your favourite play/musical?
    your definition of culture is interesting..theatre would be deemed as high culture...in the end, FHM can count as culture because it is an artefact, which represents a set of values, norms and beliefs...more related to the point, I don't really go to the theatre but like to read good books i.e not trashy novels so, I am in a sense 'high-cultured'
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I'm sure I've only mentioned this a million times or so (excited? Me?) but in February I'm going to see this: http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/?lid=6158 his dark materials on stage ...it's my christmas present from my mum.

I love Blood Brothers...and Return to the Forbidden Planet.

I was obsessed with Annie and the sound of music as a child (stage and film)

Haven't been to the theatre proper for too long - actually thats a lie - last yr (or was it the yr before) I went to see a christmas carol at the playhouse in liverpool. The theatres down here aren't even in the same league as the ones back home.

ReputationRep:
    One thing I have discovered from this thread is that a lot of people don't actually live very close to a theatre. I guess I have taken my geographical location for granted as I live about 20 mins out of Leeds City Centre so I live only a small distance from loads of great theatres! I'm sorry for anyone who doesn't live near enough to a theatre

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I just auditioned for a cabaret night called "Sax, Lies and Videotape" at my sixth form at the moment. Its directed by someone younger than me tho hehe which is...interesting. Duno whether I've got a part yet unfortunately...though my boyfriend is the MD - so I may just get something hehe
    Glad to see so many people DO enjoy the Theatre...and even gladder that I'm going tomorrow night!! A lot of you seem in favour of the big razzle dazzle stuff though, anyone seen any devised pieces and liked/hated them? I once saw this play called Hanging Man...was the damn funniest thing I've ever seen and the set was phenomenal!
    Oooh yes i think i saw the same one...except it wasn't funny. no...wait there were funny bits, was it all about this man who tried to kill himself and it didn't work, and he was left hanging in a half built cathedral and people flocked to see him? and there were seriously odd and out of place dances to like Britney or something in the middle? same one? i went with my theatre group

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    your definition of culture is interesting..theatre would be deemed as high culture...in the end, FHM can count as culture because it is an artefact, which represents a set of values, norms and beliefs...more related to the point, I don't really go to the theatre but like to read good books i.e not trashy novels so, I am in a sense 'high-cultured'
    Sorry...didn't realise I'd posted a thread for you to tell us about the stuff you learn for AS level General Studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    Oooh yes i think i saw the same one...except it wasn't funny. no...wait there were funny bits, was it all about this man who tried to kill himself and it didn't work, and he was left hanging in a half built cathedral and people flocked to see him? and there were seriously odd and out of place dances to like Britney or something in the middle? same one? i went with my theatre group
    OMG YES! exactly the same one. I saw it at the West Yorkshire Playhouse...was fantabulous!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry...didn't realise I'd posted a thread for you to tell us about the stuff you learn for AS level General Studies
    Well, I don't do general studies but, still FHM is culture...just saying that you think non-theatre goers aren't cultured...toff :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hardly highbrow but my fav is Rocky Horror Show!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Hardly highbrow but my fav is Rocky Horror Show!
    Yeah I went to see that a few weeks ago...got the boyf to dress up in drag

ReputationRep:
    on the topic of theatre, i just got back from a performance evening where i had a peice i'd directed as part of my yr 13 coursework showcased...from Joshua Sobel's 'Ghetto'...It was a beautiful peice, the actors in it were brilliant, the main character had a lovely, chillingly beautiful singing voice and it was just haunting, i mean, i was SO IMPRESSED with the whole cast.

BUT

it wasn't nearly as well recieved by the audience as the peice from "Sexual Perversity in Chicago" was! Seriously, this peice had quite poor actors and was very static, but just because it had words like '***' in it and got the audience laughing they were awarded higher marks!
    I was just so disappointed, because it didn't even seem like art (and really, it wasn't that funny...bedroom humour makes even plebs laugh)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    I was just so disappointed, because it didn't even seem like art (and really, it wasn't that funny...bedroom humour makes even plebs laugh)
    I think that anyone who refers to another person as a 'pleb' highlights their own lack of cultural awareness and consideration for others' feelings.

My own personal favourate theatrical productions include 'Stones in His Pockets' and I LOVED the adaptation of 'The Merry Wives of Windsor' that I saw performed in Stratford-Upon-Avon. I am also partial to the odd musical- I found 'The Fiddler on The Roof' at the Grand Theatre in Wolverhampton particularly entertaining,

ReputationRep:
    got the boyf to dress up in drag
    Argh i can't imagine anything worse!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I love both musicals and plays & wish I could afford to go more often (although cinema is good too... and keeps the friends happy :rolleyes: )

Musicals I have been to: Les Mis, Return to the Forbidden Planet, Blood Brothers & The King and I

Haven't seen many plays but I'm aiming for Warwick Uni next year so I can go up to Stratford whenever I want... any Shakespeare/ American Drama is cool though

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends goes to stratford every week to see plays, either with her course (theatre studies) or with one of her societies. Doesn't take long to get there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    Argh i can't imagine anything worse!!! :eek:
    Noway! I guess men in drag isn't for everyone (some of the other lads who went with us looked horrendous) however the boyf has nice legs so wearing a short dress showed them off...its all just harmless fun, though he was mystified as to how girls can cross their legs when they sit down hehe so he didn't look very elegant I went as a nurse because it was an old costume from when I played Chiffon in Little Shop Of Horrors at school...I raided the drama dept. wardrobe and borrowed it...we haven't given it back yet tho mwhahaha

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to agree with the minority here, in that theatre doesn't represent culture, even a significant part of culture... and i think it's important that you enjoy something, otherwise you're worse than a fool for doing it more than once (without a significant break). Though i think plays are alright musicals are one of the worst, most annoying, horrible things ever. Quite frankly there's so many things i'd rather be doing, does that makes me uncultured? :confused:

I go to the theatre all the time. Although I don't live in London, its fairly easy for me to get to decent local theatres in Derby, Nottingham and Sheffield. Plus, I try to get down to a show in London every 3 months or so.

Favourite musical would have to be Blood Brothers - I have seen it 7 times now, twice in the Phoenix Theatre, London. Great show.

Absolutely hate Miss Saigon - with a passion!

MOst recent plays seen - Dracula, Blythe Spirit and Stones in HIs Pockets.

Best Theatre Group I have ever seen is the Northern Broadsides - seeing Shakespeare done in a broad Yorkshire accent is just odd!!

ReputationRep:
    Well i have been to the theatre a few times now and the best performance i have ever seen is Women in Black at the fortune theatre. Its a must see

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.