The Student Room Group

What A levels for Journalism?

Basically I think I'd like to do Journalism at university.

I'm not sure what to study at A level, and then which university to go to.

Predicted GCSEs

5A*
4A
1B

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
With grades like yours, most people would argue that you're better off doing English at one of the top universities if you want to get into Journalism.

You'd certainly want to do English Literature. History would be quite good as well (wish I'd done that!) I did English Language, which is a useful subject for the area but apparently it's not a more 'respected' A-level, I don't know how much truth there is to that though.
How is English Language not a respected A Level?

OP, I would suggest English Language - I've just completed myself and I found it very useful and interesting. Yes at times it would be dull, and sometimes even challenging but thats with any A Level.
Reply 3
Probably general studies, pe (to AS) and design technology
Reply 4
English Lang OR Lit.
Only thing is, for English courses a lot of Universities state they want English Literature or English lang/lit combined.

Imo, you should go for an English degree rather than a straight Journalism. You'd be keeping your options more open just incase you change your mind sometime in the future.

I went from wanting to be a Psychologist at high school to wanting to be a lawyer up until last week and now I wanna do English :awesome:
polaroid13
How is English Language not a respected A Level?

OP, I would suggest English Language - I've just completed myself and I found it very useful and interesting. Yes at times it would be dull, and sometimes even challenging but thats with any A Level.

Let's not use that word "respected" as it's quite subjective and not particularly useful. It's a fairly traditional subject, that is true, but it is often less preferred. English Literature is more theoretical and, arguably, more relevant than Language is. When it comes to English Lit degrees, some universities will specifically ask for English Lit (or Lit/Lang combined) and are unlikely to accept Language on its own. The same goes for some other degrees. There are some law schools (Manchester, for example) who will accept English Language but prefer English Lit, Phiology/Theology, History, Geography, the sciences etc. Of course, you cannot generalise. Which A-levels a department likes or doesn't like is quite specific to that individual department.

Can I just say, there are many, many degrees out there. A journalist doesn't have to take an English degree.

Just the people who say that an English degree is the "best" way of becoming a journlist, it irritates me a little. There's no set requirement and english isn't the only subject which offers transferable skills relevant to a career in journalism. Most art/humanities essay based courses, with a firm focus on clear writing, research, logic and analyrical skills will suffice (Philosophy, History and Law in particular) are just as good. There are journalists who come from a science background, especially those going into scientific journalism.
Garden_Gnome
Let's not use that word "respected" as it's quite subjective and not particularly useful. It's a fairly traditional subject, that is true, but it is often less preferred. English Literature is more theoretical and, arguably, more relevant than Language is. When it comes to English Lit degrees, some universities will specifically ask for English Lit (or Lit/Lang combined) and are unlikely to accept Language on its own. The same goes for some other degrees. There are some law schools (Manchester, for example) who will accept English Language but prefer English Lit, Phiology/Theology, History, Geography, the sciences etc. Of course, you cannot generalise. Which A-levels a department likes or doesn't like is quite specific to that individual department.

Can I just say, there are many, many degrees out there. A journalist doesn't have to take an English degree.

Just the people who say that an English degree is the "best" way of becoming a journlist, it irritates me a little. There's no set requirement and english isn't the only subject which offers transferable skills relevant to a career in journalism. Most art/humanities essay based courses, with a firm focus on clear writing, research, logic and analyrical skills will suffice (Philosophy, History and Law in particular) are just as good. There are journalists who come from a science background, especially those going into scientific journalism.

Ranting a little hmm? :rolleyes:
I understand what you are saying but I really couldn't think of anything other than english that seems to fit the OPs grades.
Tbf I would've thought a career in journalism would be less about academics but more about building up a portfoilio(?) in extra curriculars.
Journalism is meant to be quite a cut throat career, and academics alone will not be sufficient.
Reply 7
Eng lit, History, Religious Studies, Philosophy
etc
Reply 8
English Language, Media Studies and History.
Reply 9
English literature OR language, History OR Government and Politics, a modern language OR Latin/Greek, one extra such as maths/a science/another humanity.

Tbh to get into journalism you could do a degree in either English lang or English lit, or, for that matter, politics.
Reply 10
perhaps media studies? and an english subject....
Reply 11
English Literature
English Language
History
Maths

I think im gonna go with these a levels. =]
Reply 12
I'd try and take at least something to do with the industry (i.e. MEDIA) so you have some understanding of how it works.

Most, if not all, Journalism courses at uni will want good grades in English Language (as they don't really mind about lit since it isnt THAT important for a journalist, but by taking Media you also get a chance to write in the style of a journalist.
Reply 13
My friend wants to be a Journalist, and took:

English Language
Sociology
Media Studies
Maths

However, she hated Maths. We've just gone back to start A2 work and she's dropped it already. I would suggest something along the lines of what she did but with History/Literature instead of the Maths.
Reply 14
I think you should do English Language/Literature because in the course, you write articles for assignments and study journalism. Also, the last post says Media Studies because you study newspapers and Sociology because you study society, which I recommend too. :smile:
ssmith272
Probably general studies, pe (to AS) and design technology

Damn you. I came into this thread just to make exactly the same troll. Well, not exactly. I was gonna go with Textiles, PE and Physics.
In my opinion you'd want to take:

English (language, literature or combined) - show's a knowledge of how language works and can be used.

OCN Journalism or A level Journalism - obviously :rolleyes:

A European language - show's versatility, communication skills, cultural knowledge and gives possibilities for working in and correspondence with other countries (Like doing documentaries/news stories in other countries and interviewing foreign important people/celebrities). You also have to opportunity to be landed with really cool assignments that other people didn't get because they couldn't speak the language :biggrin:

And possible Sociology, if you plan on writing about life/people/society... that sort of thing.

Maybe also photography if you want to be able to work for yourself.

Hope that helped :smile:
Reply 17
English Lang and lit, Media studies, Psychology and then the fourth relating to what type of journalist you want to be e.g if u wanna be a fashion journalist take textiles :smile:
Reply 18
One of my friends is doing Journalism at the moment at uni (Cardiff) and she did a levels in:

English Language
Sociology
Government and Politics
English Literature

She got A*A*AA and she also got accepted into Sheffield, University of Arts London, Kent, and Goldsmiths.
Original post by guitar_gal
Basically I think I'd like to do Journalism at university.

I'm not sure what to study at A level, and then which university to go to.

Predicted GCSEs

5A*
4A
1B

I would say English lit, history, a language and maybe psychology or philosophy as your fourth?

Quick Reply