The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Martyn*
Well, the Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei seems to think so, and round about now many people in this country would go along with him on that one.

But I do not think our government is the only "evil" government. The U.S. government is certainly a close runner-up, if not first place! I am of course referring to America, the Federal Reserve and the banking cartel Oligarchs. There is certainly an "evil" elitism going on in the world right now. Rome has an elite. It is called the Vatican. We have the Tory party :p:

But was the Ayatollah right?

Is our government the most "evil" in the world?

Our government seems to put banks, big business and capitalism before the needs of the people (assuming that they do not need rampant capitalism and huge superstores). We bailed out the elite bankers with tax payers money and now the big businesses are sacking folk.

We (not I) work for a ruling elite. We are, some would say, slaves on our own land. Although slaves don't get a wage, we are payed a pittance for hard work. Now they want us to work for free!!

We were taken to war with an imaginary foe. It was merely for America's need for oil. There were no WMDs, and the government duped the people into believing that U.S. style democracy would be good for the Middle East. We tortured our prisoners of war. We shut up and shut out those who dared to speak out. We consored and we covered over, and sexed up the truth. Our government no longer listens to the people they were elected by. Our government is more concerned with international affairs; trying to sort out the affairs of other countries whilst leaving our own to rot away. Our people are lost for want of leadership. Our children are laid waste and desolate. (Sorry if I sound like Isaiah here).

The government have brought in more than a hundred laws since the terrorist attacks. The issue over who caused the 9/11 attacks will always prompt conspiracy theorists to speculate that the U.S. government was behind it all to shore up American solidarity in their "war on oil" with the Middle East.

Are we the "evil" ones here? I sometimes wonder. Then there is the EU. Now, there's a candidate for "evil" if there ever was one! Nation shall rise against nation, as the saying goes.

Aren't we now in a culture war, a religious war, an economic war, a social war, an internal war, a political war?

When you look at it we are at war right now, and many of us do not know. This war is unlike any gone before.

Was the Ayatollah right?

No Poll included.

:sleep:
Reply 61
Aeolus
Thats like slapping a child, and theen justifying it by saying there are about 100 people who would have punched him.

No it isn't. It's like calling a parent that slaps their child the worst parent in the world when there are parents who have tortured, starved and raped their children. The fact of the matter is our government was dubbed the most evil in the world when there are over 100 countries that are worse, therefore making the statement stupid.
Reply 62
Elipsis
No it isn't. It's like calling a parent that slaps their child the worst parent in the world when there are parents who have tortured, starved and raped their children. The fact of the matter is our government was dubbed the most evil in the world when there are over 100 countries that are worse, therefore making the statement stupid.

But it doesn't mean our government isn't evil.
Reply 63
Aeolus
But it doesn't mean our government isn't evil.

I never said it wasn't. The argument is about most evil, catch up slow coach!
Reply 64
Elipsis
I never said it wasn't. The argument is about most evil, catch up slow coach!

Sorry fast coach!

I thought you were arguing that through other governments being more evil, ours can justify being evil, while staying less evil than the other evil governments who may commit crimes more evil and accidently a whole human rights.
Reply 65
How on earth is calling our government the most 'evil' in the world justified?, we've hardly said anything about the election results and deliberately kept fairly quiet over it. If i was David Miliband i'd criticise him back, make a statement calling him an unelected fascist dictator and denounce the deaths of protestors as 'barbaric', then withdraw all British diplomats.

Perhaps i'm not cut out for Diplomacy though :redface:
Reply 66
Joluk
How on earth is calling our government the most 'evil' in the world justified?, we've hardly said anything about the election results and deliberately kept fairly quiet over it. If i was David Miliband i'd criticise him back, make a statement calling him an unelected fascist dictator and denounce the deaths of protestors as 'barbaric', then withdraw all British diplomats.

Perhaps i'm not cut out for Diplomacy though :redface:

It's merely the tried and tested tactic of diverting the anger from the rulers to foreigners.

I doubt they (and indeed most Iranians) believe the UK is the 'most evil government' in the world though. We don't even get those 'death to America' type chants! :p:

It may also be linked to the fact that the UK was the main party in overthrowing their last democratically-elected government and installing the despotic Shah. A way of saying to Iranians that they should not rock the boat, as for all its flaws the present regime is better than what came before and has at least brought them out of those dark days.

Here's David Blair of the Daily Telegraph's contribution on this subject:

No Iranian would have been suprised when their Supreme Leader referred to the British government as the "most evil" of all the "enemies supposedly plotting the Islamic Republic's downfall.

Britain has a special place in Iran's demonology and, even today, many of the country's people believe in Whitehall's alleged power over their country. Popular conspiracy theories detect the British behind every political event and America is sometimes seen as acting at London's behest. This stemps from Britain's shadowy history in Iran. Iran was never formally part of the British Empire, but for much of the 19th and 20th centuries Britain chose Iran's rulers.

This indirect control began in the 19th century because Iran lay across the approaches to British India. It became still more vital after oil was discovered in Iran in 1908. BP was founded as the Anglo-Persian Oil Company to use these reserves and Britain allied with Iran's monarchy to guarantee the oil supplies. In 1941, Britain was convinced that the Reza Shah was about to ally with Hitler. The Shah was promptly deposed by an Anglo-Russian invasion.

In 1951, Mohammed Mosadeq, a populist prime minister, nationalised BP's assets in Iran. Two years later, he seized dictatorial powers, and britain and America helped Iranians to overthrow Mossadeq.

Whenever there is political turmoil, Iranians of Ayotollah Khamenei's generation instinctively look for the hand of the British.
Reply 67
wilko1991
There would be no incentive for people to better themselves though. Why would someone go to Uni say to become a doctor if they can just work in a shop and get the exact same wages.

Of couse there is incentive -making the community work - and there would be more that now - as there would be no dreadedness of going to work - people feel that everything that they do would make a big diffrence to the community.

wilko1991
Also all this bankers work so hard stuff - doesn't everyone feel they work hard? But they don't get millions for wages.

Under communism - all work hard - all get paid same! Needs met - all happy.
yyeeaahh
Of couse there is incentive -making the community work - and there would be more that now - as there would be no dreadedness of going to work - people feel that everything that they do would make a big diffrence to the community.

This would be true in a perfect society but we don't live in a perfect society. People are greedy and don't want to work harder so others have a better life. That's why there needs to be a balance in taxes and rewards.
Reply 69
yyeeaahh

Pigs will be pigs (-Animal Farm). :mad: Communism is doomed.
Meh...we should humour him.

Milibland should say "Dammit! Secret's out! Yes, the Ayatollah's right. We are the most evil government in the world. What took you so long to find out? Mwah ha hah!!"
lewis132
This is simple. They know the UK Government are spineless and won't do anything about it. If they said it to the US Government the public would be in outrage. Our Government has destroyed patriotism.

So what the people (Public) of the US are in outrage?

Iran: "Oh noes, the American public are in outrage let's hide!"

I mean there are already sanctions from Western countries against Iran specifically the US who have imposed sanctions against the country, foreign affairs couldn't get any worse.

So really there is not merit to what you are saying here. It wouldn't really matter anyway - if any population of a country were in outrage of a comment of suggesting governments are evil or the most evil.

Latest

Trending

Trending