Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ste73)
    lol i would post my latest joke see if u laugh but revising

for once!!
    I would post mine too but no-one finds my ones funny.. I just amuse myself with them :p:

ReputationRep:
    Here's what you need to know basically. Just learn the definitions and if you're really stuck just try to write them down and you're likely to get at least some marks:

Diffusion: The net movement of molecules from a region where they are in high concentration to an area where they are in a lower concentration.

Osmosis: The net movement of water molecules through a partially permeable membrane.

Active Transport: The movement of molecule against their concentration gradient from an area where they are in a low concentration to an area where they are in a higher concentration, requiring the use of ATP produced from respiration.

Mitosis:

Interphase
    Prophase
    Metaphase - M - Chromosomes line up along middle of cell
    Anaphase - A - Chromosomes split and move apart
    Telophase
    Cytokenisis - C - Cell cleaves to produce two seperate cells

I always remember mitosis as "IPMAT C" so if you get stuck in the exam just right these down one the paper to jog your memory.

All of that really shouldn't take too long to learn at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violet)
    I would post mine too but no-one finds my ones funny.. I just amuse myself with them :p:
    lol u should write it down anyway as me or frank will probably find it funny!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Velouria)
    Here's what you need to know basically. Just learn the definitions and if you're really stuck just try to write them down and you're likely to get at least some marks:

Diffusion: The net movement of molecules from a region where they are in high concentration to an area where they are in a lower concentration.

Osmosis: The net movement of water molecules through a partially permeable membrane.

Active Transport: The movement of molecule against their concentration gradient from an area where they are in a low concentration to an area where they are in a higher concentration, requiring the use of ATP produced from respiration.

Mitosis:

Interphase
    Prophase
    Metaphase - M - Chromosomes line up along middle of cell
    Anaphase - A - Chromosomes split and move apart
    Telophase
    Cytokenisis - C - Cell cleaves to produce two seperate cells

I always remember mitosis as "IPMAT C" so if you get stuck in the exam just right these down one the paper to jog your memory.

All of that really shouldn't take too long to learn at all.
    i remember it by impact as i always remember to switch the end 2 round

ReputationRep:
    i think that this is good as this was my first thread and i got alot of replies!!!

thanx everybody

new question now

lysosomes contain digestive enzymes and transport stuff out of cells is there anythin else they do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ste73)
    i remember it by impact as i always remember to switch the end 2 round
    Doesn't that make it IMPATC ?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't that make it AMPATC ?
    yes it does but it just a word that helps me remember it

ReputationRep:
    Lysosomes fuse with other membrane-bound organelles containing food particles or "worn out" organelles and digestive enzymes are then emptied into the vesicle to break down its contents.

Apoptosis (programmed cell death) - where the enzymes inside the lysosome membrane release into cell and causes self-digestion of cell e.g when a tadpole loses its tail to turn into a frog!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ste73)
    i think that this is good as this was my first thread and i got alot of replies!!!

thanx everybody

new question now

lysosomes contain digestive enzymes and transport stuff out of cells is there anythin else they do?
    They breakdown unuseful substances..

ReputationRep:
    Lysosomes fuse with other membrane-bound organelles containing food particles or "worn out" organelles and digestive enzymes are then emptied into the vesicle to break down its contents.

Apoptosis (programmed cell death) - where the enzymes inside the lysosome membrane release into cell and causes self-digestion of cell e.g when a tadpole loses its tail to turn into a frog!
    That answer was better :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    They breakdown unuseful substances..

is that all they do? seem do remeber there was more oh well never mind.

new question

how do u do all the sugar tests? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    That answer was better :rolleyes:
    supose that is good explenation bit long winded though
    thanx for postin it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ste73)
    is that all they do? seem do remeber there was more oh well never mind.

new question

Sugar as in the Benedicts one? Or starch aswell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ste73)
    Don't you have any notes for Biology? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Don't you have any notes for Biology? :p:
    i do but my stuff is at home and not there at the mo and my revision booklets do not have them in them

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well it's good revision for me to read through all this again anyway!

Starch
    Add 3 drops of Iodine Solution to the substance to be tested. If the solution turns blue-black then starch is present.

Reducing Sugar
    Place substance to be tested (2cm depth) into a test tube and add an equal amount of Benedict’s Reagent. Heat in water bath at 80C for 5 minutes. If the Benedict’s changes from blue to a green, yellow, orange, red, brown or purple precipitate then reducing sugar is present.

Non-Reducing Sugar
    Hydrolyse substance by heating with dilute Hydrochloric Acid. This will convert non-reducing sugar to reducing sugar. Neutralise by adding Sodium Hydrocarbonate. Test substance using Benedict’s (80C for 5 minutes). If non-reducing sugar is present the substance should stay blue.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well it's good revision for me to read through all this again anyway!

Starch
    Add 3 drops of Iodine Solution to the substance to be tested. If the solution turns blue-black then starch is present.

Reducing Sugar
    Place substance to be tested (2cm depth) into a test tube and add an equal amount of Benedict’s Reagent. Heat in water bath at 80C for 5 minutes. If the Benedict’s changes from blue to a green, yellow, orange, red, brown or purple precipitate then reducing sugar is present.

Non-Reducing Sugar
    Hydrolyse substance by heating with dilute Hydrochloric Acid. This will convert non-reducing sugar to reducing sugar. Neutralise by adding Sodium Hydrocarbonate. Test substance using Benedict’s (80C for 5 minutes). If non-reducing sugar is present the substance should stay blue.
    thanx that helped alot

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone doing the W1 Biology practicle paper tommorow?
    They are really strange papers o.O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aranel_rocco)
    Is there anyone doing the W1 Biology practicle paper tommorow?
    They are really strange papers o.O
    i am doin a biology practical tommorow but not sure if it same 1 u doin.

why they strange?

ReputationRep:
    and are referred to as the spindle fibbers
    hehehe, bio has too many big words

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.