nextyear
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Does anyone know what the grade boundaries are for the GDL, specifically at City? Does you need an average or also a certain number of firsts? what percentage get each grade? can't find this in the stuff they've given me.

also- how much does this grade matter?
Thanks
HJ
theanalyst
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
40-59 pass
60-69 commendation
70+ distinction

At BPP, the final mark is made up of the 7 exams (11% each) plus a couple of tests and the research essay.

But this may be different at City.

Hope that helps
Tele
Report 10 years ago
At College of Law, you can also get a Distinction with 67% if you have a certain minimum number of individual papers marked at above 70% (I think it's four). Or a Commendation with 58% as long as at least four (?) papers are at 60% or above. Not sure if City does something similar; maybe worth checking?
nextyear
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
thanks for the replies, i have managed to track down the info. you either need an average of 70, or at least half (must be 4) over 70 and an average of 67.
Seems quite high! as 70+70+70+68+68+68+68 wouldn't be enough...
it's higher than for my undergraduate degree
i'm hoping they mark generously!
shinytoy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
At college of law, part of the finals are multiple choice exams and part essay. To me, this undermines the llb
shinytoy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
At college of law, part of the gdl finals are multiple choice exams and part essay. To me, this undermines the llb
redalert
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Shinytoy - have they changed that for this year? I did the GDL at College of Law last year and there were no multiple choice questions in the exams (except legal method which was a pass/fail test and didn't count towards overall grade).
neoflame
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

I was wondering what percentage is the Legal Method Multiple Choice Test Worth at CoL. Also, could you please break down every component to the final grade? i.e. exams, tests, essats etc?
MJNeil
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The multiple choice legal method test does not count towards your final grade. It is something you merely have to pass in order to be able to carry on with the course (a pass is 40%).

There are two pieces of coursework that together count for something like 18-20% of the final grade (sorry can't remember off the top of my head).

The remaining grade is made of the exams. Each exam is worth the same percentage.

You have to pass each exam and the pieces of coursework to pass the GDL overall. You also have to pass the legal method test and the coursework first time in order to get a distinction.

Hope that helps

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
neoflame
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you for the quick reply! Unfortunately, I am afraid that has changed. According to the CoL assesment page, "the final result " is based on the Legal Method test as well as the rest. Here's a link http://www.college-of-law.co.uk/Our-...nd-assessment/.

Could you also please tell me what the test is like? multiple choice? is it fairly easy to pass? based on extracts?

Thank you
Numinator
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by neoflame)
Thank you for the quick reply! Unfortunately, I am afraid that has changed. According to the CoL assesment page, "the final result " is based on the Legal Method test as well as the rest. Here's a link http://www.college-of-law.co.uk/Our-...nd-assessment/.

Could you also please tell me what the test is like? multiple choice? is it fairly easy to pass? based on extracts?

Thank you
Well unless they've just changed it since I finished the GDL at the college of law a few months ago then legal method does not count towards your final mark. I think what that paragraph means is that it counts towards your final results because you've got to pass it - I don't think that it would ever be used to assess your final grade.

The actual test is possibly the easiest exam which I have ever sat. It was multiple choice and open book. The actual content was easy to understand - for example they asked questions about what the different courts do, etc. The pass mark was 50% but if you even looked at the book before going into the exam you could easily get that. I didn't do much work for it, finished 10 minutes early, and I got 95% (and I was annoyed that I got one wrong). It isn't anything to worry about. If it does make part of your final grade then that would make the course a lot easier, but I very much doubt that is the case.
neoflame
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you that was very helpful. So the pass grade is not 40%, its 50%? i am asking just for the heck of it to be honest I am aiming at the 90% score anyway :P could you also tell me some more about the workshops? I just finished all the tests online and now it says Workshop 1 and 2? should i do them before going to class or I gotta wait?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.64%
It's just nice to be back! (179)
27.45%
Not great so far... (232)
35.58%
I want to drop out! (126)
19.33%

Watched Threads