Not paying for your train ticket... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Asheeers
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Well, yesterday I got onto a train in a real hurry & didn't have time to buy a ticket.

When the ticket person was coming down the aisle, I got out my wallet to get some money out but realised I had someone else's blazer on.

****** i thought so I went off to hide in the toilets !!! After a few minutes, I returned to my seat & the ticket checker came round & asked for my ticket.

I explained my situation but she didn't belive me - she said the transport police would be waiting when I got off !

When I did get off, it was practically deserted & I just walked away !!

Have you ever been caught? What do you do to not pay your train fare??
mahaneap
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wouldn't have believed you either If I can't get a ticket for any reason, I just explain to the guard (as soon as I get on) why I don't have a ticket, and they will come and collect the money somewhen during the journey.

However, I don't think there's much they can do if you refuse to pay, except for make you get off the train. If you don't have the money to pay for a ticket, then you can't pay a fine, and they have no power to detain you.
SpiritedAway
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes. Our "station" is just a platform, so there is no where to buy a ticket, and we usually just buy it when the conductor comes around. Though on numerous occasions the conductor doesn't come around and so I just get off at my stop and walk away ^_^.
sarahjane_
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
agh, i understand, train prices are so overpriced ... i live in like nothingland though, so usually when i'm on the train, nobody actually comes to check the tickets which is a pain because i usually buy one... aparently you can get fined thousands, but i bet that's just hype. they're saying you can't pay on the trains now, but thats a bit much considering most of the stations down here don't even have a ticket machine! haha rant over... nice one nicking somebody else's jacket though! haha. sometimes i just use an old ticket though, they barely look at it.. thrifty huh.
lollapalooza
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
oo lucky!

Yeah I dodged a fare once. I'd forgot my pin number thing for the ticket machine so I couldn't collect my train ticket. So it was either pay full price for another one or just try to dodge it somehow. When I got on the train I sat right at the back of the carriage and tried to kind of duck behind the seat infront so the conductor wouldn't see me. Luckilly it worked and I didn't have to pay! ah, Happy days. Don't know if I'd risk it again though.
ChosenOne
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I used to fare dodge alot. Reading -> Paddington 25 minute journey. But after been caught twice I do not/ would not do it anymore. I've come to the conclussion I would rather pay to be able to sit down comfortably without having to be on the lookout for an inspector :o:

Just pay. Get a YP railcard. It sucks, especially when 9 time outs of 10 nobody checks your tickets.
InvoluntarySlacker
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah me and a load of my mates got caught. The police were there too but there was only two who were pretty far when we got out and we legged it.
sadiechantel
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i've been caught once, just brought one, however it was more expensive :P
jessyfantastic90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been paying as child....:ninja: I 'm sorry there so overpriced trainn tickets
300mg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol the transport police? Was she joking?
Vantastic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
has anyone tried pretending to sleep when the ticket persons going round checking.
would they wake you up? lol
neverstandstill
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When i was on a virgin train (though bought my ticket with megatrain) going from London to Birmingham when the ticket conductor came to check my ticket he barely even glanced at the code I had on my piece of random paper. He didn't have any kind of paper with him either to check them. I reckon I'll be able to get away with just giving an old code to him or make up a new that's really similar lol.

Might be better to test this theory first though, by actually buying a ticket just in case and giving the wrong code. I'm on to something here.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sarahjane_)
agh, i understand, train prices are so overpriced ... i live in like nothingland though, so usually when i'm on the train, nobody actually comes to check the tickets which is a pain because i usually buy one... aparently you can get fined thousands, but i bet that's just hype. they're saying you can't pay on the trains now, but thats a bit much considering most of the stations down here don't even have a ticket machine! haha rant over... nice one nicking somebody else's jacket though! haha. sometimes i just use an old ticket though, they barely look at it.. thrifty huh.
They only don't let you buy a ticket if it was possible for you to buy a ticket in the first place, so if you get on at an obscure platform it's fine to pay on the train.

Fare dodging in Cardiff is pretty hard if you get off/on at Central because you have to have a ticket to get through the barriers, and if you haven't paid for one on the train you have to pay at the "unpaid fares" desk. Saying that, if you bought the cheapest ticket possible just to get through the barriers, no one would know.
Daina
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You don't get fined thousands, it's £20 or double the cost of a full fare ticket, whichever is higher.
Tam_Diman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Vantastic)
has anyone tried pretending to sleep when the ticket persons going round checking.
I was on a packed train once, and there was a conductor who thought he was a bit of a comedian (he was quite funny though, made some good jokes :o: )

He went up to someone who was sleeping and he saw that they had their ticket in their hand, but the conductor slapped him in the face to wake him up (not too hard, but hard enough to wake him up... :holmes:)
d123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Can't get away with it even if I tried, you can't get on or off the platform at Bham New Street without one.
tom//
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
theyve put loads of those rent-a-cops on the station where i get off, its funny seeing people getting stopped. a mate of mine didnt have time to get one, noone came round and they said hed get fined and caution etc but he never
tom//
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Vantastic)
ive not tried it but seen people do it, but yeah they "wake" you up
.x.Steff.x.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
me and my mate have when we were going to liverpool but
the train station where i live is just a platform so we got on the train expecting to go to liverpool but no one came round and then we were told at the nxt stop the train was terminating,
so we got on the train to go to chester and no one else came round
got off at chester, we were going to the desk to pay for tickets and the train for liverpool arrived, we told the driver what happened and he said get on the train and buy it except no one came round
we got to liverpool and told them the story, they werent impressed but luckily believed us and we had to pay £8 each...so glad didnt get a £20 fine though
Joseph90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've dodged a ticket but it was only going from Nottingham to Derby at half two in the small hours.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (127)
48.11%
No (35)
13.26%
I'm not old enough (102)
38.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed