Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    omg ive got ma first exams next week and ive only just started revisin!!

ReputationRep:
    Same here...i have Critical Thinking next Wednesday..its gona be a disaster.

ReputationRep:
    You still have, like, 6 days though. It's not as if you're going to fail if you put some work in during the next few days.

ReputationRep:
    what does Critical Thinking involve doing?

ReputationRep:
    I have 1 exam this Thursday (English lit) and 5 exams next week (English lit on Tuesday, 2 sociology on Wednesday and 2 French on Thursday). 5 exams in 3 days!!!

ReputationRep:
    man that sounds like a bummer. what is your strongest subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottalota)
    what does Critical Thinking involve doing?
    Good question...not something iv quite figured out yet. lol.. Its just analysing texts and arguments e.g. strengths and weaknesses of reasoning/conclusion etc etc .

ReputationRep:
    what kind of texts do you mean?
    stuff like stories and poems?

ReputationRep:
    hmm... I have one next thurs and havn't started revising. thats ages away... at least thats what I tell myself...

how did your french go kellywood?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottalota)
    what kind of texts do you mean?
    stuff like stories and poems?
    Nah more like newspaper articles on specific topics i.e. the environment, although part of the exam paper (multiple choice questions) does have short made up quotes, for which you have to state things like what is being assumed, whether the conclusion is sufficiently valid … Im teaching myself so its not too hard a subject, something worth taking to boost your application.

ReputationRep:
    I have one next two weeks. I can't believe time is passing so quickly. In addition, since time passes quickly, I feel that I don't have enough time to revise.

ReputationRep:
    Does ne 1 have an excellent method of revision they would care 2 recommend?
    ive always just read stuff but i wanna know if there is ne thing that really works

ReputationRep:
    What subject in particular are you wanting revision techniques for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milly87)
    What subject in particular are you wanting revision techniques for?
    well, any would help really, but particulary english as its ma weakest subject

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends swears by making spider diagrams showing the key events, quotes, etc. for either each scene/chapter, or for the characters/themes, etc. That way you really think about what you're reading, as well as just reading it. I think visual stuff like diagrams can help, anyway, and maybe just the process of writing it out will get it all into your head.

Other than that, reading loads and practising writing essays are probably the best things you can be doing right now.

What books/plays are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milly87)
    What books/plays are you doing?
    ok cheers ill try it
    well, we r doing a play called Who's Life Is It Anyway?, and then we r doing short stories from a book called Opening Worlds, and post 1914 poems from a book called Opening Lines.
    the exam board is OCR

ReputationRep:
    I'm only on AS English Lit myself, so I don't know what help I can be, but those are my ideas - along with using York Notes, Cambridge Study Guides (a god-send for Antony and Cleopatra!) and Spark Notes - they come in handy when you have teachers as useless as mine are - but they have limited use, especially as loads of people use them; any ideas used in your essays from them are hardly original. I also hear that a lot of teachers really don't like them, but I don't know - they give you a general impression of the meaning that you can build on with your own opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, cool. Well, good luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    arghhh forget next week i have one on thursday!!!

ReputationRep:
    ^^ same here!!...I have a physics practical exam this wednesday.... :eek: then next week I have another.....then a whole bunch of em till the end of june....

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.