Dentist injections - scared! Watch

zifix
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm 16 and have a really really bad fear of the dentists.

I have been told recently that I have to have a root filling after I went to see him about my toothache, and my dentist is referring me to someone else to do it - which is already making me scared cause I trust my dentist only for him to make me go somewhere else - I will need injections in my gum and in my hand for a local anaesthetic.

I have had injections in my gum before and they were bad enough, but can someone please tell me what it is like to have an injection in the hand as well as the gum? Does it hurt? and what will I feel during the procedure?

I'm really scared!!
dw_
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
I hada root canal this week, nothing to worry about honestly, the only bad thing is sitting there with your mouth open for ages, but honestly, it is nothing bad!
belis
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by zifix)

I have been told recently that I have to have a root filling after I went to see him about my toothache, and my dentist is referring me to someone else to do it - which is already making me scared cause I trust my dentist only for him to make me go somewhere else - I will need injections in my gum and in my hand for a local anaesthetic.

I have had injections in my gum before and they were bad enough, but can someone please tell me what it is like to have an injection in the hand as well as the gum? Does it hurt? and what will I feel during the procedure?

I'm really scared!!
Injection in your hand? That's hardly a local for a dental procedure. :confused: I guess they refer to putting in a cannula (little plastic tube) in your hand and giving you some painkiller into the vein. It does not usualy hurt any more then taking blood.
writergirl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hey. DONT PANIC
i too had a root canal done not too long ago, and i didn't feel a thing with the injection and i'm not good with pain really (my ears killed being pierced) and your gums go numb almost immediately and then the procedure doesn't hurt and i agree with 'dw' above, the only pain is that you have to sit with your mouth open
dont stress OP
Yuna47
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The injection in your hand may be for a sedative or something similar - I've heard they make ya totally chilled :yes:

Your dentist, who you trust, wouldn't send ya somewhere else for the root canal treatment unless they thought it was the best treatment plan for you

Don't be afraid to tell them you are anxious about it - they'll be able to help you and talk you through things :yes: (and don't forget you're not alone :yes:)

Good luck
polzeath.sunset
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
heyy, seriously dont worry, i have a dentist phobia as well, i turn into a hysterical female :P
ive had 3 teeth out and a root canal and all i can say is, dont look at the needle cuz its effing HUUUGE. also, yes the injections all hurt a bit, but if you're like "ohh christ theyre gonna be awful" yull be all tense which makes it worse - so just relax and think, "hey, its gonna sting but id prefer one sharp pain compared to hours of agony of a root canal wihtout local"
and, i always make someone come with me, maybe its a bit weird but have your bf/gf/best friend or someoen come in

sorry thats a bit rantish and all - but good luck and feel free to pm me
Allthewayhome
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by belis)
Injection in your hand? That's hardly a local for a dental procedure. :confused: I guess they refer to putting in a cannula (little plastic tube) in your hand and giving you some painkiller into the vein. It does not usualy hurt any more then taking blood.
Sounds like she's being referred to a sedation clinic due to her phobia.
xXMessedUpXx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmmm i have had cannulas in my hands (yes both at the same time) but...i was unconcious when they out them in...

have had blood taken from my hand, assuming its a similar procedure, it hurts a little. like a sharp scratch? if you do have a cannula, just be careful not to knock it, that tends to hurt more.

think of it this way, once the initial hand injection is over, when you come round it will all be over
~ Purple Rose ~
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I get so anxious about going to the dentist. A couple of years ago I had a filling and they gave me an injection. I'd never had one in my gum before and was terrified, but I actually barely even felt it.
Try not to worry about your hand either, it is over within a couple of seconds and it doesn't hurt very much.
Tell the dentist you are anxious so they will know to be as gentle as possible, and explain each step properly, if that will reassure you.
learner_dancer
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by zifix)

I'm really scared!!
They are horrible.

Try opting for a general anaesthetic if they'll give it to you.. seriously.
isabella
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You'll be numb so won't feel anything during the procedure.
Ask for numbing gel - (for gums & hand) then u won't feel the injections.

I assume you'll be sedated with a injection in your hand - that will relax you lots
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There is a cream that you pay for (about £3) in will numb the play and then they'll put the injection in - won't hurt as much. :yy:
eden
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i had a root canal started this week. takes a few appts to do it all. she put some stuff in my mouth first, so i would feel the injection less. then injected my gum and the roof of my mouth. i felt nothing all the way through the procedure. the rubber damn they cover your mouth with is quite annoying, but i quite liked it actually! meant i wasnt drowning in spit like i usually am st the dentist. but you do need to be able to breathe through your nose throughout it.

the only thing is it did take a long time, and the first appt they were just finding the roots on mine. found 2, had to stop before getting to the third one since i started feeling dizzy, grey, and as if i was about to black out. but that wont happen to you dont worry! (i'm a relatively new diabetic type 2, had had my meds changed the day before and it turned out it was low blood sugar - not eating but taking medication + nerves = not a good idea!!). so erm yeah have breakfast.

it takes forever though so have something to think about. i was planning lessons in my head lol. and counting ceiling dots... yeah i got bored.

seriously though dont worry. injections dont hurt. just dont look, you wont feel a thing
Baza gago
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I had my first deep cleaning and I am still afraid to go and do my second. Cleaning any one answer pls am. Still afraid of the numbing shots
Kapz11230
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi everyone, I was terrified of the dental injection and usually hate procedures but I had a filling done on the weekend. It actually was not too bad at all, I asked for the numbing gel and post that I didn’t even feel the two injections that the dentist put in. I did have to sit there for one hour 30 mins as it was a complicated filling replacement however I felt no pain and was more uncomfortable than anything else. Key is to relax and it really is not too bad at all. Hope this helps someone relax because it’s not as bad as you would think
paulaorma55
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi .I love getting the needle in my hand it's only a small scratch ..hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (308)
15.14%
The paper was reasonable (1119)
54.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (447)
21.97%
It was TERRIBLE (161)
7.91%

Watched Threads