How do you memorise text? WHOLE FRENCH ESSAY

Watch this thread
lolhenry
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I need to memorise the whole thing, how can I go about doing so? any advise would be great (:
lolhenry
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
250 words btw.
Pyropink
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
its not that hard to be honest.
Zastrugi
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Break the text into chunks and read the first one until you remember it, then add the second one until you remember it then the third etc etc.
ChannieAlana
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Bullet points. And then take the points away. Reading outloud helps too
robbo3045
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Break down in to chunks. Then learn said chunks individually, by reading over it again and again. then learn it all as one chunk. Also I have found a way to speed this up is use mind visualisation.
wellisntitfor
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Read it through a few times, focusing strongly on the words. Then remove your gaze from the text, and try to write it out. Do what you can, then check the bits you missed or weren't sure about. Write it out again. And again. After a few times you could have it all memorised.

Only recall it from (immediate) memory, don't just write it out from an existing copy of it or you won't be setting it into your memory at all.
singsongballadsmiles
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Is this for Business French by any chance?
I don't do it myself, but a lot of my friends do.

Phrases

One way is to memorise the different phrases of the sentences, then do the traditional cover-write-check. Eventually you'll be memorising whole paragraphs, then its just a case of remembering which order they go in (but if you use logic then it would be pretty obvious).

Reading it out loud really helps. If you read your text in a sing song way or follow a rhythm, it helps you to remember (well at least it does for me when I did my GCSE in Italian) as long as you repeat it loads.

Another alternative (if you have someone to help you with revision) is to print out (rather than write out because it tends to get messy!) a copy of your text, cut out the different paragraphs, and stick each one on a separate revision card and LEAVE THE OTHER SIDE BLANK. This will isolate a paragraph from the rest of your essay and will force you to recall that whole paragraph when someone tests you (like flashcards). This was my most effective way for memorising paragraph long answers for about 60 questions in Italian. If your testing yourself make sure you dont cheat and secretly check the other side! The only thing with this method is you wont remember the order.

Order
I once did a quick memory course and the trick is assign a picture with the topic of your first paragraph and link that picture with the next. So, for example if my first paragraph was about a holiday on the beach and the second is about a...pet elephant (its half 12, I can't think ) I could link those paragraphs by thinking of sand and then a big elephant coming along and sucking up all the sand in its trunk. Try to make these picture links as funny as possible as they will help you remember more.

You could use mnemonics but I don't like them personally.

Otherwise, good luck.

(Original post by lolhenry)
250 words btw.
Ahh that's nothing, at least you know what you're gonna write about instead of making it up on the spot like in the linear MFL exams!
synthpopx
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by robbo3045)
Break down in to chunks. Then learn said chunks individually, by reading over it again and again. then learn it all as one chunk. Also I have found a way to speed this up is use mind visualisation.
This.. except instead of reading it over and over, write down the chunks over and over until you know it. I used this method to learn a 750 word essay off by heart and it worked really well.
lolhenry
Rep:
Thanks everyone.
littleears
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
its actually quite stressfull ^.^
JessThomas6
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I learned my German speaking and writing things (?) by learning line by line, even if they ended in the middle of a sentence and then just reread it again and again until I literally had dreams about doing the test and going through the text
Jaydenadamd
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Record yourself saying it and then listen to it ALL the time 😊
Ivanpires
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lolhenry)
I need to memorise the whole thing, how can I go about doing so? any advise would be great (:
Memorising the whole thing by heart wont do you any good...
Read each of the paragraphs individually and take down notes(bullet points) on the important points you made in said paragraph, then pass to the next one and do the same. Once you have the main points study them, and know hoe to develop on them so that the whole thing, or something similar, will get to you when you need it.
It doesnt matter if ypu change some words, as long as the idea is there and the grammar and spelling are correct you will do good
SweetBlessing16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
OMG same! Thats why I came here lol!
ihatePE
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
write it out first by looking, then again, then again. then read without looking. it's a boring process but i always manage to do it once ive copied it down about 5 times
sahir01133
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Its actually really easy. obviously, your writing would have been separated into paragraph and those paragraphs have sentences between them. memorise one sentence until you are confident memorise another sentence and then join together and complete the paragraph. go over the paragraph 3 times and make sure you are conifent with all the words and move onto the next one until you memorise the whole thing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (16)
16.84%
The paper was reasonable (34)
35.79%
Not feeling great about that exam... (33)
34.74%
It was TERRIBLE (12)
12.63%

Watched Threads