Indian Friends Group Watch

This discussion is closed.
chandni
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
"Young girls observe the fast and worship Shiva so that he may bless them with good husbands. They sing devotional songs in praise of the lord, and holy texts are chanted throughout the night. "

oops lol!! I'm gonna end up with a bad hubby in the future...urgh!!! lol!!
Abhinaya
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by chandni)
oops lol!! I'm gonna end up with a bad hubby in the future...urgh!!! lol!!
naah, there will be a good hubby who will come searching for you to make you celebrate the festival in a traditional way after your marraige:p:
Abhinaya
Rep:
?
(Original post by PennyRoyalTea)
Indeed, I'm a Sikh though, didn't know it was meant to be commonly known ..forgive me for I have sinned ^o)
Hey, omg ! sikh, hindu or muslim... Religion is not important. we are from the same IFG family. We celebrate all festivals with equal importance. some reason to celebrate life and be happy.
PennyRoyalTea you need to make us more aware of sikh festivals as well coz many of the hindus are also not well aware of Sikh festivals including me.
sumitk87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ye thats right its INDIAN Friends group not the hindu soc .
All Memebers please share your celebrations with the rest of the group please and enlighten us on yr beliefs and rituals. :yy:
And Happy Shivratri
Sumit

btw if u guys are interested here is a email i got from my hindu soc (uni)

Happy Shivratri

Shivratri - The Great Night of Shiva

Shivratri is one of the most popular festivals in the Hindu world, celebrated with devotion and fervour by millions of Hindus each year. This year it falls on February 26th.

In the Hindu view, the Divine Being transcends all human conceptualisation, yet can be approached in many ways. The deities of Hinduism reflect realizations of God on various levels, as experienced by ancient Rishis in deep meditation. Shiva is one of the most important deities, and His worship forms part of the daily lives of many Hindus. He is the Lord of Yogis, the Lord of Time and the Destroyer. The destructive aspect of Shiva is not something to be feared; it is destruction for the purpose of regeneration. He destroys that which is old and impure in order to make room for a new creation, which is pure and divine. On an inward level, He oversees the annihilation of old habits, attachments and ego - all essential for us to progress on the spiritual path.

Shivratri is the night on which Lord Shiva's energy and grace is most easily accessible to the devotee. Many devotees observe a strict fast. Some do not even have a drop of water, and keep vigil all night. The priest performs a special puja at regular intervals, while the congregation repeats the mantra "Om Namah Shivay" and sings devotional hymns to Lord Shiva.

Many famous legends are associated with the festival. One of these is the tale of the hunter who fled up onto a tree to escape an angry tiger. The tiger waited at the foot of the tree, so the hunter had to stay on the treetop throughout the night. At the foot of the tree was a Shiv-Ling, but the hunter didn't know this. To pass time through the night he broke leaves and nuts and threw them onto the Shiv-Ling. Therefore he unknowingly performed the ritual for worshipping Shiva! In the morning Shiva was present at the spot, and the tiger was gone. The hunter prostrated himself before Shiva, who blessed him.

This seemingly simple legend contains multiple meanings about the nature of man and God. It highlights Lord Shiva's nature as benevolent and easily pleased, even by worship that is offered in ignorance. In the daily grind of our lives we are like the hunter who inflicts pain on others, yet retreats in great fear when somebody is about to inflict pain on us. The Lord is graceful, and even though we will have to live through the consequences of our actions, the Lord's love is guiding us to safety and towards a more noble life.

Another story connected with Shivratri, from the Puranas, describes when Shiva drank the deadly poison that was thrown up by the ocean when the Devas and Asuras were churning it in the quest for the nectar of immortality. The ocean threw up many objects before the nectar appeared, including some deadly poison. The poison was so toxic that it would have killed everybody. Shiva appeared at the scene, and drunk the poison, in order to protect the world's inhabitants. Shiva kept the poison at the level of his neck, because if he let it reach his stomach it would have been harmful. Therefore Shiva's neck is dark blue, which is the colour of the poison.

The poison represents all the negativity and evil in the world. In order to help the world progress, a spiritual person must engage with society and its problems, not stay aloof from them. This includes being around society's negative and evil tendencies, to prevent them from destroying society. It is important not to allow this 'poison' to actually affect and harm us, and this requires vigilance. One can unknowingly take up negativity if we are surrounded by it. But through vigilance and care this can be avoided. This is the meaning of 'keeping the poison at the neck', whereby it is kept at a level that we can manage without allowing it to poison us.

Shivratri is also associated with Shiva's wedding to Goddess Parvathi. The wedding symbolises the mystical union between spirit and matter, which forms the basis of our existence.
GroovyGurj
Report 12 years ago
hey i'll join!
Abhinaya
Rep:
?
(Original post by GroovyGurj)
hey i'll join!
Sure Welcome to IFG. You can follow the instructions in the first thread of this society and demand for official membership.
Can you also please introduce yourself to our members?
jr2007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Abhinaya)
we eat vegetarian food during lunch and fast(only slight food mayb some idlis:p: )
Is idli faraar?
papad
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Right, of got a bone to pick
Bollywood.
The sweet poison fed to an unaware nation.
One of the aims in media is to entertain. Modern technology can produce entertainment at rock bottom prices. However without restraints, the business can become damaging and un productive. Bollywood is a classic example of the media spinning out of control and damaging a nation, primarily India. Critics could argue that most bollywood movies wallow in escapist sentimentality garnished with promiscuously dancing girls. Daily exposure to such media will seriously damage spiritual health. Its like feeding opium to the poor to keep them happy. The choreographed-smut-set-to-music can easily tear the spiritual fabric of any nation. Bollywood is no way whatsoever reflective of Vedic/Indian culture, and the modern day movies that are shown should be destroyed and replaced with movies that have sentimental meaning to them and reflect true Vedic/Indian culture. One of the most serious challenges faced by modern India and Hinduism is by Bollywood. Yet Indians today are oblivious to the poison of Bollywood.
Comments please...

By the way i prupose that we form a Hindu society.
__WiZaRD__
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by papad)

:ditto: papad - i think thats a great idea, ill be the first to join!!
Abhinaya
Rep:
?
(Original post by papad)
Right, of got a bone to pick
Bollywood.
The sweet poison fed to an unaware nation.
One of the aims in media is to entertain. Modern technology can produce entertainment at rock bottom prices. However without restraints, the business can become damaging and un productive. Bollywood is a classic example of the media spinning out of control and damaging a nation, primarily India. Critics could argue that most bollywood movies wallow in escapist sentimentality garnished with promiscuously dancing girls. Daily exposure to such media will seriously damage spiritual health. Its like feeding opium to the poor to keep them happy. The choreographed-smut-set-to-music can easily tear the spiritual fabric of any nation. Bollywood is no way whatsoever reflective of Vedic/Indian culture, and the modern day movies that are shown should be destroyed and replaced with movies that have sentimental meaning to them and reflect true Vedic/Indian culture. One of the most serious challenges faced by modern India and Hinduism is by Bollywood. Yet Indians today are oblivious to the poison of Bollywood.
Comments please...

Well, I appreciate your argument. In my view, Bollywood is not reflecting Indian culture or traditions coz you consider whatever media for ex : the star channels or the local Indian news(thefts, kidnaps, murders) which will gives a psycological affect on every human being. If you consider Interner revolution for ex : People who can utilise internet in a positive aspect for learning things it can be very useful. In the same way, People who browse unwanted stuff and waste time it can create bad results. For that sake, we can't say Internet is a poison in the modern day world. That's the personal awareness which you create in the society in which way we accept certain things in life. So Bollywood, There are very good movies as well, which can show you lots of sensitive aspects in life.
Arranged marraiges in India are one way good in India but, on the other way for this generation kids it also turned out to be a problem coz they aren't able to have mutual understanding and you know Bollywood plays a certain role in showing such aspects for parents to know that "yes" love is also important and there are some families which really accepted for love marriages if their child is really in love with someone. Also young couples are able to face whatever challenges they overcome in their life to win their love.
Rich families in India are always a Bollywood target and they show that money is not the only thing important in life. If you saw "Taal" movie for ex: you can understand the rich domination over the poor and how love will win finally keeping the status difference and caste are thrown aside and the poor in India are lot more happier than the rich. coz a rich man is a watchman for his watchman trying to secure all his property. That's all mentioned in vedas to lead a "karma" life(a simple life and not to expect anything in return). There are also certain movies on this subject.
I can give you a good conclusion in my next post. coz it's already lengthy by now

Well, Hindu soc is a good move. Even I wanted to start it but, as India is a land of diverse religions and cultures I thought it to be a good idea to be that we are "ONE". IFG is open to all kind of debates on religion as well like you see how our members celebrated shivratri greeting each other(Hindus or sikhs or muslims and all religions together) some others members explaining the importance of the their religious festivals. I feel it a better way coz even in India now we are following the global religious harmony.

Thanks papad for your excellent post I'd like to see more discussions from you. That's really interesting.
__WiZaRD__
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Abhinaya, how come youre a member of the TSR Jewish Soc ?
Abhinaya
Rep:
?
(Original post by __WiZaRD__)
Abhinaya, how come youre a member of the TSR Jewish Soc ?
coz I have many Jewish friends in Paris and it's interesting to know about the religion which I didn't know anything about when I was in India. Gemgems the mod is also a very good friend of mine long before she started the J-Soc. Did that seem a bit strange for you __WiZaRD__? why did you have such a strange doubt? lol !
__WiZaRD__
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Abhinaya)
coz I have many Jewish friends in Paris and it's interesting to know about the religion which I didn't know anything about when I was in India. Gemgems the mod is also a very good friend of mine long before she started the J-Soc. Did that seem a bit strange for you __WiZaRD__? why did you have such a strange doubt? lol !
No it soesnt seem strange at all, i was just curious...

I dont know many, if any, jews...
Abhinaya
Rep:
?
(Original post by __WiZaRD__)
No it soesnt seem strange at all, i was just curious...

I dont know many, if any, jews...
Yeah, In India especially it's very rare that you come across Jewish community. Hope still there are some jews in places like Bombay and Kerala. And also India became a famous tourist destination for Israelis. I also came across some Indians who settled in TelAviv long time back running Indian restaurants and who can speak Hebrew fluent like the Israelis
Abhinaya
Rep:
?
Bush trip to India. What could it get for India? lol ! what do you guys say?

India became a star of the year 2006 as French and US presidents visiting the world's boom boom country at the very beginning of the year

Well and cricket First test match England Vs India. Good start by India. India almost adds +1 to the scoreboard. :cheers:
Stranded
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hi guys!

Long time since my last visit here! :o:D
How're you Abhinaya?
Oh BTW congtas for the Pakistan tour success! Indians exhibited a great show! Great talent they've got!

I can hardly wait for their encouner with England!
Abhinaya
Rep:
?
(Original post by Neophyte~)
Hi guys!

Long time since my last visit here! :o:D
How're you Abhinaya?
Oh BTW congtas for the Pakistan tour success! Indians exhibited a great show! Great talent they've got!

I can hardly wait for their encouner with England!

yayy Glad to see you again. I'm fine thanks. Hmm, That's really great play these days by the Indian team.Even Indians can't believe. lol ! anyways, good for Dravid's captaincy
Retro.spex
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We are currently doing well against england, the first day apparently has gone great!! Anyway, should have that quiz done soon. Right, so, if you dont mind Abhinaya, I'll post the quiz on here, then send your answer to me by a PM, then who ever gets the least amount of questions wrong, will win an india related prize, e.g. A banner
papad
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Jews are practically extinct. I think there are only 8 Jewish families in India.
Responding to the point about bollywood. Perhaps I should have made it clearer that not all movies are bad, but alot are. I get really angry when I see filth such as ' No entry' and I got relly annoyed when my parents sat there drewling over the filth watching the movie on B4U. Some movies are good. Such as the legendary 'Khabi Kuchi Khabi Khum' and 'Swades'. Those movies were excellent and I believe more movies should be like those, showing the state of country and true family values. I still belive that we should have a Hindu society. The Indian friends group is good, but it is not the place to discuss Hindu philosophies and theories. Unfortunately I'm not the guy to make it, as I know nothing about computers!
jr2007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by papad)
I still belive that we should have a Hindu society. The Indian friends group is good, but it is not the place to discuss Hindu philosophies and theories. Unfortunately I'm not the guy to make it, as I know nothing about computers!
I could do it for you and we can see how it goes. I love this society cos its all things Indian but then not all Indians are Hindu and not all Hindus are Indian. We could see how it goes but this thread is for our country while the Hindu society could be to discuss our beliefs with similar peeps??

**edit

Gave it a go link is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?p=4054945

I reckon we need some interest first before its submitted as a soc but lets see the interest
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (52)
98.11%
No (1)
1.89%

Watched Threads