Indian Friends Group Watch

This discussion is closed.
Happyness
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by spin)
In Mumbai atm, funky city! Leaving in an hour and a half for Goa though. Not seen too much of the monsoon so far, but then I've been up in the himalayas, Delhi and Rajasthan, so I guess I've been skipping it. Bought an umbrella yesterday though and used it once

Food here is brilliant, I'm going to come back fat, which I'm sure is not what you're meant to do at all.

I'd be interested to know why people stare so much? Like if we're sitting on a train reading people will move into our section of the carriage from their seats to sit and watch us... are they just curious? I'm sure me reading a book is pretty boring stuff Also, when we stopped to look at a beetle suddenly a load of Indian people started crowding around to look at it.... feels weird to have people so interested in us!

This country is cool though.:cool:
People of India are interested because they dont see many people from outside the country; i.e. they dont travel much around other countries and dont get to see people of different races etc. But India is regarded as having the most kind and hospitable people, so you will be just fine.

Have you been to Agra yet? I used to live there 3 years back, so i know where to go, and generally how the place is like. Feel free to ask me anything.
Abhinaya
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by spin)
In Mumbai atm, funky city! Leaving in an hour and a half for Goa though. Not seen too much of the monsoon so far, but then I've been up in the himalayas, Delhi and Rajasthan, so I guess I've been skipping it. Bought an umbrella yesterday though and used it once

Food here is brilliant, I'm going to come back fat, which I'm sure is not what you're meant to do at all.

I'd be interested to know why people stare so much? Like if we're sitting on a train reading people will move into our section of the carriage from their seats to sit and watch us... are they just curious? I'm sure me reading a book is pretty boring stuff Also, when we stopped to look at a beetle suddenly a load of Indian people started crowding around to look at it.... feels weird to have people so interested in us!

This country is cool though.:cool:

hahaha... well, tht's a very good remark. yeah, Indian people are very curious especially during long travel in trains, buses... they don't know what else to do other than reading but love to spend time eating or chattin with strangers around. lol ! I made many contacts in trains.
When I came to France it was really the opposite for an Indian like me. It was even strange for me people reading books and damn silence in the train. lol ! I keep discussing with my friends and people stare at me.
Hope to hear more from your Indian trip. Have a good time.
mypaperheart
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hi all :wavey:

Just wanted to let you all know there's a new Bollywood Soc over in the Film forum if anyone's interested in chatting about movies, soundtracks, actors, you name it!
Air
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oooooh, There's a 'IFG HINDI LIBRARY'. That is cool. :cool:
Abhinaya
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anived)
Oooooh, There's a 'IFG HINDI LIBRARY'. That is cool. :cool:
hehehe... ur Avatar looks cute. Howz u r vacation going? You can contribute to our Hindi Library? You can be our 3rd contributor if u want

oops. u just changed ur avatar now. lol ! the previous one was better
filastini
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Mein kelna chattah hu tumhaare sath.
papad
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Does that mean 'i want to play with you' ???

BTW for all those who want to learn hindi, there is a very good series of books called 'teach yourself'. Ihave teach yourself 'beginners hindi' its a good book, and id recommend it. I thinkl the website is www.teachyourself.co.uk
hic_et_ubique
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It does mean I want to play with you but it's sort of badly spelt (sorry!)

Based on pronounciation it should be:
Mein tumhaare saath khelna chahta/chahti hoon.

The object (tumhaare saath) needs to be placed before the verb khelna in normal written hindi. The other version (mein khelna ... tumhaare saath) is correct but not standard.
Air
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Abhinaya)
hehehe... ur Avatar looks cute. Howz u r vacation going? You can contribute to our Hindi Library? You can be our 3rd contributor if u want

oops. u just changed ur avatar now. lol ! the previous one was better
Thanks for the avatar comment.

My vacations are alright.

I would have contributed to the Hindi Library but I am unable to read and write hindi so I wont be able to.
akash_a
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Anyone going to the london mela this year, Ken Livingston has been holding some great indian events - i went to that event last year in Trafalgar Square - it was great, the atmosphere was fantastic.
xelprep
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I really want to learn Hindi sometime. I just know Gujarati.
studentforever
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey! Are the people here from the UK ot India?
Abhinaya
Rep:
?
Welcome to our new members DeSiFiEd, demon_almighty,akash_a88

Can you please introduce yourself to our members? Where are u guys from?

That's great akash tht u like everything Indian It's a right place for u to mingle with more Indians. Have a great time.

(Original post by studentforever)
Hey! Are the people here from the UK ot India?
From many parts of the world. Most of them are Indians abroad and also Indian fans. why?
papad
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
xelprep are you fluent in gujurati?
xelprep
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by papad)
xelprep are you fluent in gujurati?
Yeah pretty much, but it's not perfect. I can't say all numbers, or read/write the language. But I can have a conversation.
hic_et_ubique
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by xelprep)
Yeah pretty much, but it's not perfect. I can't say all numbers, or read/write the language. But I can have a conversation.
wow... teach me some! hehehe gujarati is v useful kem chhe?
xelprep
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by hic_et_ubique)
wow... teach me some! hehehe gujarati is v useful kem chhe?
it's not!... well it is for me because I'm Gujarati and all my family is, but I'd like to learn Hindi because that IS useful :cool:

aap ka naam?
lilac!!
Badges: 15
Report 12 years ago
anyone can ask me anything im indian!! lol
xelprep
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Can anyone here speak Gujarati AND Hindi? :confused:
Abhinaya
Rep:
?
(Original post by lilac!!)
anyone can ask me anything im indian!! lol
sure. Tell me something that you know about India
---------------------------------------------

Welcome to our new member Nevatary. Please introduce yourself to our members

What are u guys gonna do for the Independence day? Fortunately, it's a public holiday in France and many Indians in Paris celebrate Independence day at the Indian embassy. Good to make diplomat friends. lol !
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (223)
40.55%
Nope, not that interesting (218)
39.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed