The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1520
Zanna
Yep i'm from the UK. I guess I got culture shock when I first arrived as it was all new and different, but id tried to prepare myself - read a lot of stuff about the country (books, websites etc) although of course nothing can prepare you totally! It wasn't as big a shock as i was expecting though. The country continued to surprise me for the entire 6 months though - you never know what is round the corner there! good and bad. It's a country of complete contrasts but thats what makes it fascinating. I have to say the most random thing i saw was a goat (a living one) being placed on a motorbike.... we passed it quite quickly so didnt see what happened, but how it was meant to stay on i have no idea! It was quite hard travelling as we were two girls so got a lot of stares (and groping sometimes)... But we had plenty of brilliant experiences.

We picked up some Kannada, the regional (Karnataka) language - the kids taught us some hehe. Also learnt a tiny bit of Hindi but not very much as for most of the time we were in Bangalore. Anyone here speak any Kannada?

Tht's so nice to hear :smile: Hmm, tht's a very normal scene in villages goats being carried on motorbikes:biggrin: They tie it with a rope on the carraige or they hold it in their lap. That depends. Lots of stares??? well, people are always curious to know more about others(especially neighbours) than themselves. There is even good and bad part of it. lol !

I know only 3 words in Kannada : Avada, Ivada, Evada :smile:
Reply 1521
Here's our new member harshgoenka. Welcome to IFG harsh.

harsh is from Calcutta and going to study in Bristol Uni. soon from this month :smile:

That would be great if you can introduce yourself in bengali. Ofcourse, with English translation beside:wink: for us to understand. lol !
Hiya

Names Nicole, mixed race...indian/english, posted here a whiiile ago but never actually joined the society. And to be fair aint really been on tsr much since. So hows is everyone doiiiing?!?! Last trip i made to india, was to mumbai in february, hadnt been since i was about 5 years old. From what i saw, there seems to be such a massive rich/poor divide in mumbai. The rich being very very rich, and the poor going to down to the extremes of poverty. Now i travel alot, and what i did find in india is that alot (but by no means all) of the people were rather unfriendly (granted it may have been due to the language barrier as i cant speak any sort of indian lang and although they can speak english well, the majority speak in hindi almost all of the time which sort of made me feel excluded), which is rare for a 3rd world country....it reminded me alot of england actually.
Reply 1523
Are you a Hindu, and have you ever thought about leaning an Indian language.
Reply 1524
I want to learn Hindi. I can speak Gujarati fluently. Any teachers here? :biggrin:
Reply 1525
xelprep
I want to learn Hindi. I can speak Gujarati fluently. Any teachers here? :biggrin:

sure. You can see the first thread of our IFG. There I'm updating some useful Hindi phrases for everyone.

Probably you can also contribute some basic Gujarati phrases tht would be great :smile:

PS : Hope our Hindi profs return back to their active participation :wink:
Reply 1526
well well, we have been lazy for quite some time. Howz u everyone?

Welcome to our new members *Pari*, sonam_kd and Neha.

HAPPY DUSSARAH(Durga Puja)
Reply 1527
Yeah where are the Hindi language teachers?

A lot of things can be picked up because so much vocabulary is similar to Gujarati, also the grammar is the same.

I've taught myself some phrases, but please correct:

Aap ka naam (hai)? - What is your name? or is it "kya"?
Meera naam ______ hai - My name is ___.
Kahaan ____ hai - Where is ___? (I think)
Apna - Our
Hum/Tum gaiye - I/You go
Hum Tum - I/You so it becomes "me and you" ?

Could someone translate the following for me please?

Apne = (is it "our"?) ?
Kaise yeh = ?
? = How are you? (in Gujarati it would be something like "Tummeh khem che?")

[I can't think of anything else right now :frown:]
hey everyone! name's kavya, am 17. im an indian tamil (from Chennai)...well technically, mum's from bangalore and dad's from a place called tiruchirapalli. lol. im fluent in tamil and can understnad hindi (thanks to star plus and shah rukh!!!) erm...how do i become a member of this society? x
Reply 1529
Let me become a member too :smile:

What did people do for navaratri? Did anyone do Garba? And if so where?
Reply 1530
I went go Garba in Tolworth while I was staying nearby.
Reply 1531
Thanks to lilac! for becoming our official member :smile:

Sure. You can request for membership following the very first thread of our Indian Friends group (princessk and a_t).

Do anyone here know the significance of Garbha during Navrathri. In South India(except in big cities), it's very rare that people dance Garbha. Just curious to know more about it.
Reply 1532
xelprep
Yeah where are the Hindi language teachers?

A lot of things can be picked up because so much vocabulary is similar to Gujarati, also the grammar is the same.

I've taught myself some phrases, but please correct:

Aap ka naam (hai)? - What is your name? or is it "kya"?
Meera naam ______ hai - My name is ___.
Kahaan ____ hai - Where is ___? (I think)
Apna - Our
Hum/Tum gaiye - I/You go
Hum Tum - I/You so it becomes "me and you" ?

Could someone translate the following for me please?

Apne = (is it "our"?) ?
Kaise yeh = ?

[I can't think of anything else right now :frown:]

Thanks a lot for adding more phrases to our collection xelprep.
I will be adding it soon to our Library.

Even some basic vocabulary from other languages is most welcome to add it to our Library :smile:
Reply 1533
hey there all....well Abhinaya as you said...in Bombay there are either the extreme rich or the extreme poor and the gap between them just seems to increase. Besides that its an awesome place to live, i hav lived all my life here and would live here till the end of life.( wow that sounded philosiphical!) .Bombay has argueably been the most developed city of India....and its still rapidly developing and growing, I have often noticed that people have a different outlook of India once they have visited cities like Bangalore, Mumbai and delhi...
wat do u guys think??!
Reply 1534
Abhinaya

Sure. You can request for membership following the very first thread of our Indian Friends group (princessk and a_t).

Abhinaya, The direct link for membership is this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php?do=join&socid=107

EDIT- Add it to your first post as this link takes the new members to the direct request page.
hi all...

back after a long long time..hope somebody remembers me. and i guess the thread hasnt seen much activity also...:redface:

and btw, i know hindi and kannada, and the words by abhinaya were wrong (sorry to say that tho...:rolleyes: )

its illi (here) alli (there) yelli (where) and many more..
Apne = (is it "our"?) ?
Kaise yeh = ?

if its apne (short "a") its 'our'
if its aapne (long 'a') then its 'did u?' like "aapne likha?" --> did u write?

kaise yeh - 'how does this....'

how are you --> tum kaise ho? (to frenz) aap kaise ho? (wid respect)
Reply 1537
where are all the hindi lecturers? :frown:

hindi sikhni(?) kahaan hai(?) :biggrin:
Reply 1538
Welcome to our new membre hardeep.arora who is studying in one of the beautiful schools in India the Ooty school(GSIS).
Please introduce yourself to our soc. Hardeep.
-------------------------------------------------
I was very lucky to be there at the Indian year in Lille(North France). Unfortunately, there weren't many Indians but I was really impressed seeing around 1000 dansers from all origins around the world dancing to Bollywood songs.
12 Elephant statues of about 8 metres each outside the railway station entrance designed by Nitin Desai, the fireworks and all Lillois people danced to bollywood songs throughout the night on the roads.
greetings fellow indians. well to an extent. i was born in wales but parents from maharashtra. so... yeah... happy diwali to all hindus in here!

Latest