The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

kizdesai
translate; "Hi! sareh jahaan se achaan, hindustaan humara!! (spelling awful)!"

ok... it basically means "better than all other countries is our india!"
Reply 141
What are the best things that you all like in Indian culture?

I like the people who are really most welcoming and caring wherever they are in the world and Yoga which is a most beautiful gift to the Indian culture and Life in India though not that comfortable in living standards which can bring more happiness coming across different kinds of people, celebrating festivals and lots of community activities everywhere. Plenty of Natural resources that are available in this country and ofcourse, these days the Fashion Industry, the Film Industry and the Technological development(IT, Astronomy, Biotechnology, Pharmacy...).
is anyone in dis indian freind grooup goin portsmouth for uni?

xx
Good things about India/Indian: Respect for elders, affection/care for others, (often) hard-working individuals, qualified & clever. :cool:

Bad things about India/Indian: (often) ill-mannered, tobacco chewing publicly spitting bunch of individuals, loud-speakers, ghetto-lovers. :mad:

NO person/thing is a PERFECT person/thing & as the saying goes ............ Beauty is in the eye of beholder :rolleyes:
Reply 144
studentgirl
is anyone in dis indian freind grooup goin portsmouth for uni?
xx

Not me , But similarly is anyone goin CASS Business School in october?
Reply 145
Some facts :

NATIONAL BIRD OF INDIA : PEACOCK

NATIONAL ANIMAL OF INDIA : TIGER

NATIONAL FLOWER OF INDIA : LOTUS

The number system was invented by India. Aryabhatta was the scientist who invented the digit zero.

Sanskrit is considered as the mother of all higher languages. This is because it is the most precise, and therefore suitable language for computer software. ( a report in Forbes magazine, July 1987 ).

Chess was invented in India.

Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus are studies which originated in India.

The' place value system' and the 'decimal system' were developed in 100 BC in India.

The first six Mogul Emperor's of India ruled in an unbroken succession from father to son for two hundred years, from 1526 to 1707.

The World's First Granite Temple is the Brihadeswara temple at Tanjavur in Tamil Nadu. The shikhara is made from a single ' 80-tonne ' piece of granite. Also, this magnificient temple was built in just five years, (between 1004 AD and 1009 AD) during the reign of Rajaraja Chola

India is.......the Largest democracy in the world, the 6th largest country in the world AND one of the most ancient and living civilizations (at least 10, 000 years old).

The game of snakes & ladders was created by the 13th century poet saint Gyandev. It was originally called 'Mokshapat.' The ladders in the game represented virtues and the snakes indicated vices. The game was played with cowrie shells and dices. Later through time, the game underwent several modifications but the meaning is the same i.e good deeds take us to heaven and evil to a cycle of re-births.

The world's highest cricket ground is in Chail, Himachal Pradesh.
Built in 1893 after levelling a hilltop, this cricket pitch is 2444 meters above sea level.

India has the most post offices in the world !

The largest employer in the world is the Indian railway system, employing over a million people !.

The World's first university was established in Takshila in 700 BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century was one of the greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education.

Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to mankind. The father of medicine, Charaka, consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years ago.

Although modern images & descriptions of India often show poverty, India was one of the richest countries till the time of British in the early 17th Century. Christopher Columbus was attracted by India's wealth and was looking for route to India when he discovered America by mistake.

The art of Navigation & Navigating was born in the river Sindh 6000 over years ago. The very word 'Navigation' is derived from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH. The word navy is also derived from the Sanskrit word 'Nou'.

Bhaskaracharya rightly calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the sun hundreds of years before the astronomer Smart. His calculations was - Time taken by earth to orbit the sun: ( 5th century ) 365.258756484 days.

The value of "pi" was first calculated by the Indian Mathematician Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is known as the Pythagorean Theorem. He discovered this in the 6th century, which was long before the European mathematicians.

Algebra, trigonometry and calculus also orignated from India. Quadratic equations were used by Sridharacharya in the 11th century. The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10*53 ( i.e 10 to the power of 53 ) with specific names as early as 5000 B.C. during the Vedic period. Even today, the largest used number is Tera: 10*12( 10 to the power of 12 ).

Until 1896, India was the only source for diamonds to the world. ( Source . Gemological Institute of America )

The Baily Bridge is the highest bridge in the world. It is located in the Ladakh valley between the Dras and Suru rivers in the Himalayan mountains. It was built by the Indian Army in August 1982.

Sushruta is regarded as the father of surgery. Over 2600 years ago Sushrata & his team conducted complicated surgeries like cataract, artificial limbs, cesareans, fractures, urinary stones and also plastic surgery and brain surgeries.

Usage of anesthesia was well known in ancient India medicine. Detailed knowledge of anatomy, embryology, digestion, metabolism, physiology, etiology, genetics and immunity is also found in many ancient Indian texts.

:biggrin:
yeh one of the worst things about India is when u go there and the locals and even the non-locals somehow telepathically know that ur not from around there ..so when ya go shopping and out n about... all you see are all these people staring really really badly at you, i always end up laughing , which is not so good :biggrin:
Reply 147
PennyRoyalTea
yeh one of the worst things about India is when u go there and the locals and even the non-locals somehow telepathically know that ur not from around there ..so when ya go shopping and out n about... all you see are all these people staring really really badly at you, i always end up laughing , which is not so good :biggrin:

Also ending up paying a higher priced ticket to enter any attractions . Which i am now in favour of, when indians come to london they end up paying £25 (dunno exactly how much) to to see the wax museum, why cant india get some substatial revenues from tourists when they can easliy afford to pay few hundred rupees :p:
sumitk87
Also ending up paying a higher priced ticket to enter any attractions . Which i am now in favour of, when indians come to london they end up paying £25 (dunno exactly how much) to to see the wax museum, why cant india get some substatial revenues from tourists when they can easliy afford to pay few hundred rupees :p:

yeh exactly like when ur in a jewellery shop / clothes shop in india or a clothes shop they immediately know ur actually from another continent and end of ripping you off as much as they can! Terrible stuff...
the best was once when me and my sister went to india, she was wearing a suit and i was wearing english clothes and we went shopping and in this shop they tried 2 tell us that some style of clothes was really in in england when it blatantly wasnt, my sister shut them up so bad like dont u think we know, we are from there ... it was really funny,they think they can get away with anythign!
Reply 150
PennyRoyalTea

Yeah, you are right that they stare really really at you but you can't expect that in a bad way. Being an Indian, when i go to visit some villages people really feel so happy to see me from a city because India being a poor country there are still people who cannot afford to travel to big cities and they find it very interesting to see new people around them and they are anxious to talk with the stranger but at the same time feel a bit shy to approach.
Even i used to have a feeling when i was in India that foreigners are so kind hearted as they keep distributing money to the poor whenever they come across some poor people on the roadside.
You may consider any under developed country or a developing country like Brazil or Africa or India or whatever it's the same situation. People who are poor try to make some money from the rich people due to illiteracy, poverty and many other reasons and now the situation changed a lot in India during the recent years like people became more concious as they are able to see many foreigners travelling to India often and there is a lot change in the way of approach of the locals when they come across a foreigner. Now, there are many Multi National companies in cities like Bangalore or Bombay where foreigners are able to survive very comfortably trying to understand the life there and adjust to the things happening around them.
I feel that India in that sense is a quite safer country when you compare it to South America and some countries in the west where people are just stolen and shot dead for so silly reasons. That's really scary for a stranger to visit such places unless he knows someone there as there's no security for life. So, we can't just blame a country and it's people for what's happening. Any literate person visiting such countries have to be highly aware of the things happening around before visiting or going around with a well known person from that country so that he will take care of everything during your stay there. So that you can really enjoy the culture and get along easily with the people there.
Reply 151
Progress in Science & Technology may lead to the following changes by the year 3000: "+ve or -ve" ??

http://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/~cv/Comedy.html :biggrin:
Reply 152
Abhinaya

I feel that India in that sense is a quite safer country when you compare it to South America and some countries in the west where people are just stolen and shot dead for so silly reasons.

Surely you're having a giraffe?

India is safer than which country in 'the west'? We are talking about a country that still has slaves in the remote parts of the country, a country with an extermely corrupt government, law enforcement and courts...
kizdesai

India is safer than which country in 'the west'? We are talking about a country that still has slaves in the remote parts of the country, a country with an extermely corrupt government, law enforcement and courts...

Firstly, just to answer your question, India is WAY safer than "Jamaica" (a country in "west"). It is NOT seen as a lawless society as of some African countries, as Democracy STILL exist within not just part of it but the whole of the country :rolleyes:

As far as corruption is concerned ??? Surely, you aren't seriously suggesting that all western countries LACK corruption, as if corruption didn't exist within these "western" countries, then we wouldn't have an "illegal war" killing innocent individuals over so-called "War on Terrorism" :rolleyes:

Furthermore, as far as corruption is concerned, hope you made yourself aware of the recent cases of corruption in postal voting in Birmingham :rolleyes: Additionally, corruption EXISTS even within the "western" countries, in one way or the other & all you should be doing is to keep your eyes open let your brain cells aware of the existence of such corruptions within ANY OTHER countries around, other than India :rolleyes:

As far as corrupt law enforcement & courts are concerned, have you kept yourself aloof from the "kangaroo court" of American (country in "the west") having corruption to the extent that EVEN the government seems to be showing lack of interest in offering a fair trial of people they captured in their so-called "War on Terrorism". Surely, you aren't suggesting that keeping someone in prison for as much as 3 years WITHOUT any trial can be seen as an example of the existence of "non-corrupt" government withint this "Western" countries :rolleyes:

I can't consider myself having a vast knowledge of a country that's 5.5k miles away from me, however, I VERY MUCH doubted if it's an "Indian Government" that's corrupt (as per your suggestion) ??? cos if that was the case, it would have been highly impossible for India having its economy booming at the rate that's higher than any western countries like USA or any country within Europe. :rolleyes:

Before laying your finger on India, MAY BE, you should enlighten yourself by realising that India has develoed itself to this extent within JUST 50 years of its independence, while for others reaching EVEN at this stage took them quite a few millennia :rolleyes: & few MORE millennia, before being seen themselves as a "Developed country. Thank you very much !!! :rolleyes:
Reply 154
kizdesai

Hello my dear friend, I have started this thread for the people who are really interested to know about India and it's heritage as there are lots and lots of interesting things to learn if you are really interested to learn something useful.
There is Half glass full and half glass empty but, this thread is for the people who can really see the half galss full to learn something good from other cultures and i don't want to open the doors for any kind of criticism. I am from India and there are also fellow Indians who are born in UK and doesn't know much about Indian culture. It would also be helpful for them to know many interesting facts about their country.
I can suggest you have some brain storming debates starting a new thread about all these topics corruption, slavery and stuff if you are really interested. I accept that they exist everything good and bad is extreme there but, many great people from India Abdul kalam(respected president) or Manmohan singh(Indian prime minister) are doing their level best to overcome all these problems and that can't be acheived in one day and I am sure we are on the path to SUCCESS soon in the near future. You take into consideration states like Kerala that acheived 100% literacy in no time and states like Karnataka or Andhra pradesh which are following E-Government.
Just to know about what are the latest developments happening in the recent years. Here is a link for you. Your further comments are most welcome

http://www.goodnewsindia.com/Pages/content/inspirational/ralegan.html
Reply 155
j4mes_bond25
Firstly, just to answer your question, India is WAY safer than "Jamaica" (a country in "west"). It is NOT seen as a lawless society as of some African countries, as Democracy STILL exist within not just part of it but the whole of the country :rolleyes:

As far as corruption is concerned ??? Surely, you aren't seriously suggesting that all western countries LACK corruption, as if corruption didn't exist within these "western" countries, then we wouldn't have an "illegal war" killing innocent individuals over so-called "War on Terrorism" :rolleyes:

Furthermore, as far as corruption is concerned, hope you made yourself aware of the recent cases of corruption in postal voting in Birmingham :rolleyes: Additionally, corruption EXISTS even within the "western" countries, in one way or the other & all you should be doing is to keep your eyes open let your brain cells aware of the existence of such corruptions within ANY OTHER countries around, other than India :rolleyes:

As far as corrupt law enforcement & courts are concerned, have you kept yourself aloof from the "kangaroo court" of American (country in "the west") having corruption to the extent that EVEN the government seems to be showing lack of interest in offering a fair trial of people they captured in their so-called "War on Terrorism". Surely, you aren't suggesting that keeping someone in prison for as much as 3 years WITHOUT any trial can be seen as an example of the existence of "non-corrupt" government withint this "Western" countries :rolleyes:

I can't consider myself having a vast knowledge of a country that's 5.5k miles away from me, however, I VERY MUCH doubted if it's an "Indian Government" that's corrupt (as per your suggestion) ??? cos if that was the case, it would have been highly impossible for India having its economy booming at the rate that's higher than any western countries like USA or any country within Europe. :rolleyes:

Before laying your finger on India, MAY BE, you should enlighten yourself by realising that India has develoed itself to this extent within JUST 50 years of its independence, while for others reaching EVEN at this stage took them quite a few millennia :rolleyes: & few MORE millennia, before being seen themselves as a "Developed country. Thank you very much !!! :rolleyes:

Proud to have you as a member j4mes_bond25. You are really British person i have ever seen :smile: having amazing knowledge in world affairs.
Abhinaya
Proud to have you as a member j4mes_bond25. You are really British person i have ever seen :smile: having amazing knowledge in world affairs.

Proud to have you too Mr. Abhinaya here on TSR :tsr:

Indeed, I'm British, for which I'm extremely proud of, however, insulting others is NOT quite in my blood, simply beyond the pale & is just immoral for me & indeed, it's just NOT British :biggrin: Brits are tolerant bunch of people, however, "kizdesai" seems to have lack this "basic British" manners of his, I fear :rolleyes:

Guess, in case of "kizdesai", I feel an extreme need to make this an exception & make him aware of the OTHER SIDE of the coin. People like him needs knowing the fact that BEFORE pointing a single finger to others, they should realise that the remaining 3 fingers are already pointed towards them, if you catch my drift :smile:

I've many Indian friends around & have fair knowledge of both good & bad aspects of India/Indian, but then again good & bad aspects can be seen within ANY country, around the world :biggrin:

Finger-pointing is just NOT "humane", I'm afraid :cool:
Reply 157
PennyRoyalTea

that is soooooooooooooo true and they charge you absurd prices too, until one of my relatives who live in india start bargaining with them
Still you know there going to be the ones with the betters deal.
still its quite cheap compared to here (england) :wink:
Reply 158
j4mes_bond25
Proud to have you too Mr. Abhinaya here on TSR :tsr:

Indeed, I'm British, for which I'm extremely proud of, however, insulting others is NOT quite in my blood, simply beyond the pale & is just immoral for me & indeed, it's just NOT British :biggrin: Brits are tolerant bunch of people, however, "kizdesai" seems to have lack this "basic British" manners of his, I fear :rolleyes:

Guess, in case of "kizdesai", I feel an extreme need to make this an exception & make him aware of the OTHER SIDE of the coin. People like him needs knowing the fact that BEFORE pointing a single finger to others, they should realise that the remaining 3 fingers are already pointed towards them, if you catch my drift :smile:

I've many Indian friends around & have fair knowledge of both good & bad aspects of India/Indian, but then again good & bad aspects can be seen within ANY country, around the world :biggrin:

Finger-pointing is just NOT "humane", I'm afraid :cool:

Thanks and I completely agree with what all you are saying as i have the similar kind of thoughts that you have.
I welcome you once again as an honorable British member in our group and your views are very much valuable for us. Hope to hear more interesting views on India from you in your upcoming posts.
Abhinaya
Thanks and I completely agree with what all you are saying as i have the similar kind of thoughts that you have.
I welcome you once again as an honorable British member in our group and your views are very much valuable for us. Hope to hear more interesting views on India from you in your upcoming posts.

Well, I aim to please :wink:

Latest