The Student Room Group

Why are Chinese people called 'yellow'?

I've always wondered why this is. If you look at white, black and brown people you can sort of see where the relation to the skin colour label comes from.

But having a few Chinese friends of my own I'd say their skin complexion is more Latina-looking or Southern European/Arab (just not usually as hairy) and certainly NOT yellow.

Where do you think the label could have come from.

I have recently had two potential theories:

a) When Europeans first encountered a subset of Chinese people that village/tribe/town had a large number of people suffering from jaundice or hyperbilirubinaemia.

b) They are called yellow because of the Yellow River.

What do you reckon?

squish.

Scroll to see replies

Stop saying squish.
There is a sallowness to Chinese, Korean and Japanese skin. Not bright yellow but definitely a tone.
Reply 3
Because we are more yellow than brown or white :dontknow:. I prefer people not calling us any colour though, we're all from one Human Race afterall.
Reply 4
There's usually a certain tinge of yellow. Except in South East Asians such as Thai and Vietnamese. They're not bright yellow, just like black people are dark brown rather than jet black.
They tend to have yellow undertones in their skin, while Caucasians tend to have pink undertones. Just a guess, though.
Reply 6
Reply 7
Well they call themselves yellow as well
what would you have us called then?
Reply 9
Stop saying squish. It is the weirdest way to not be funny I have ever seen.
Reply 10
azhao
we're all from one Human Race afterall.

Cringe, especially when capitalised.

BumperBo

OP: I've never heard of Chinese people being referred to as 'yellow' before... frankly, white people are more yellow than the majority of them.
azhao
Because we are more yellow than brown or white :dontknow:. I prefer people not calling us any colour though, we're all from one Human Race afterall.

CHILDREN OF THE WORLD LETS ALL HOLD HANDS :rolleyes:
Might it be because in chinese language, the race is refered to "yellow"?
Reply 13
nuodai
Cringe, especially when capitalised.

Sorry what?
Reply 14
gangstermidget
Might it be because in chinese language, the race is refered to "yellow"?
Erm the words for a chinese person in chinese are Han Ren or Hua Ren. The word for yellow is Huang, not the same.:yes:
Reply 15
Sorry who negged me for my original comment? If you did it because you perceived it to be racist then I'd urge you to look again and realise that I am Chinese myself. Also leave a name and a comment when you rep someone, I find it very rude when you don't even have the courage to neg someone and leave your name afterwards (very unsportmanlike:fight:)
Reply 16
Well black people aren't properly black, and most white people aren't completely white in colour. Obviously oriental people aren't completely yellow but there is a tone.
azhao
Erm the words for a chinese person in chinese are Han Ren or Hua Ren. The word for yellow is Huang, not the same.:yes:

Yeah but it is like when u say white people, black people or asian, chinese people say white, black and yellow? :p: :p: :p:
xps.systems
people you can sort of see where the relation to the skin colour label comes from.

But having a few Chinese friends of my own I'd say their skin complexion is more Latina-looking or Southern European/Arab (just not usually as hairy) and certainly NOT yellow.

Southern Europeans and Arabs on the whole are really nothing like each other. Which kinda suggests you probably aren't really in any position to make any accurate observations on far eastern skin colour.
Reply 19
I am yellow.

Latest

Trending

Trending