Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to the London School of Economics to study as an undergrad: Government & Economics.

I am currently studing:
    Law,
    Economics
    ICT (Double award)
    (and general studies)

Currently my AS grades are:
    Law: B
    ICT: B - however due to complications this grade was not submitted.
    Economics: D - this was a 'blip grade, which my School has mentioned via UCAS.

My predicted grades should be: BBBB or ABBB

I have a superb background of Extra curricular activities and my personal statement reflects this.

My GCSE grades range, mostly A - D's (mostly B's).

My question, in your opinion do you think I have a good chance in getting in?

ReputationRep:
    not really

ReputationRep:
    Their typical offer is apparently ABB... and they might be rather worried by the D in AS Economics, and to be frank your GCSEs aren't brilliant... why don't you just put it down as one of your six but not pin too many hopes on it?

ReputationRep:
    Most people who successfully get a place at LSE are predicted at least ABB but you never know. If your school reference is exceptional there may be a possibility but you have to remember that LSE is a top 5 institution and demand for places is highly competitive.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    Yes I understand the AS might be slightly worring. I am retaking the Economics at AS in January. All going well I should be on an A/B and my ICT should be published, giving me an B. I am retaking Law (presently on a B) and I am a few marks off an A.

I mean do they even consider my personal statement? I've been part of a legal team (mock bar) which reached the top 16 in the country (met cherrie boothe, Lord Woolf etc. ) President of my college as well as owning a Computer Supplies shop at the age of 16 in S.E. London and computer technical support centre in India (called HelpForce).

Surely these speak for themselves, or is it just simply grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sgilley)
    Yes I understand the AS might be slightly worring. I am retaking the Economics at AS in January. All going well I should be on an A/B and my ICT should be published, giving me an B. I am retaking Law (presently on a B) and I am a few marks off an A.

I mean do they even consider my personal statement? I've been part of a legal team (mock bar) which reached the top 16 in the country (met cherrie boothe, Lord Woolf etc. ) President of my college as well as owning a Computer Supplies shop at the age of 16 in S.E. London and computer technical support centre in India (called HelpForce).

Surely these speak for themselves, or is it just simply grades?
    This might count for something but at the end of the day if they don't think from your UCAS form that you're going to meet their standard offer they probably won't offer you a place.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    Aim high and hopefully you'll get it. LSE doesn't interview people so thats one less thing to worry about!! good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    don't count yourself as being unsuccessful just yet...you never know.

ReputationRep:
    If I don't get in first time and choose to go to another university ...Can I re-apply to the LSE again based on my A2 grades? I.e. ABBB.

Would they accept me based on this?

ReputationRep:
    If I don't get in first time and choose to go to another university ...Can I re-apply to the LSE again based on my A2 grades? I.e. ABBB.

You could try I guess - its really hard to say whether you would be accepted or not. Personally I don't think its worth the risk - why set yourself back a year for a university place that you might not even get? Also you could be turning down other good offers in order to go for it when you could get a good degree elsewhere. Try not to set your heart on it so badly that you reapply.

ReputationRep:

I can't guarantee you would be accepted! But at least when you are appling post-Alevel you have the neccessary grades so the issue of obtaining them (in their view) is eliminated......what particularly interested you in LSE?

ReputationRep:
    What I mean is - if I get offers for other universities, no doubt I'll take them. However if I re-apply (whilst at another university of my choice) - based on my A2 grades.
    Would this be possible?

ReputationRep:
    What I mean is - if I get offers for other universities, no doubt I'll take them. However if I re-apply (whilst at another university of my choice) - based on my A2 grades.
    Would this be possible?
    I strongly suspect that LSE would not even consider you if you had already taken up a place at another institution. You would have to either not take your place up and reapply, or drop out before you apply.

ReputationRep:
    Would this be possible?

well unis are not so keen on students doing that. I know that one person in this forum is doing this tho. I am in a way, but not out of choice and have made this clear. Why not do a degree, work hard, and apply for your Masters or something there?

ReputationRep:
    As you have no doubt read above, you can probably tell that I like to consider myself an entrepreneur. When I ventured into the business world (at the age of 14) most of the executives I met, including Haji-Hasmin Stelios and V.P of Lucent Technologies --- had been to the London School of Economics. The university itself is world-recognised to the business world and obviously attendance here, means the world is your oyster (in my opinion). Shallow – but isn’t that just business? Either way, the courses the University offers to the quality of teaching – is something that cannot be ignored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    well unis are not so keen on students doing that. I know that one person in this forum is doing this tho. I am in a way, but not out of choice and have made this clear. Why not do a degree, work hard, and apply for your Masters or something there?
    Speaking with friends, this is what they have suggested. It might be the safer option.

ReputationRep:
    Either way, the courses the University offers to the quality of teaching – is something that cannot be ignored.
    Really depends what you see as 'teaching', you'll be very much left to your own devices..

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.