is uni overhyped Watch

This discussion is closed.
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by waiting2smile)
NikNak I should inform you today that despite being an unbeliever and devoted anti-d campaigner, I exclaimed quite a few times in my posts: 'oh for the love of d...'

Tis not good, but could you say I was taking the lord d's name in vain?
Indeed there are sadly *many* that cannot comprehend the wonders of our almighty saviour. Some even mock him and his followers. I can only pray for them when judgement day arives. There is still time, repent now, place unfaulting faith in him, and you too can be saved! Oh and don't forget the quote in your footer
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
As someone who is just coming to the end of my first year I can tell you that the social side is overhyped. Going all out on the p155 4 nights a week is cool for the first week or two but after that it becomes boring and repetative. It also has serious academic and health consequences when you start to miss lectures because you are recovering and when you put on about two stone in one semester.

You will make loads of aquiantances, but few friends.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
You will make loads of aquiantances, but few friends.
Very true in my case. I have about 4/5 true friends, although I know loads of people.
Butterfly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think you'll get out what you put in, both academically and socially.
_poptart_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I dont think it matters if its overhyped; as long as you get an enjoyable experience and a decent degree everythings fine!
p.s. who is this infamous d i dont get it lol :confused:
naivesincerity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Definitely over-hyped IMO, but it depends on what kind of person you are
Butterfly
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
site owner. woohoo Cardiff!
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by jeni8686)
I dont think it matters if its overhyped; as long as you get an enjoyable experience and a decent degree everythings fine!
Don't worry, Cardiff's gonna rock

(I hope)
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Butterfly)
site owner. woohoo Cardiff!
Oooh another Cardiff buddy :hello:
Butterfly
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
Don't worry, Cardiff's gonna rock

(I hope)
Exactly!
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think you'll get out what you put in, both academically and socially.
In my case, I haven't encountered many people that are the sort I would normally be friends with. I have lots of people I know but not lots I would ring up and choose to spend a lot of time with. Anyone else found this?
Butterfly
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
In my case, I haven't encountered many people that are the sort I would normally be friends with. I have lots of people I know but not lots I would ring up and choose to spend a lot of time with. Anyone else found this?
Ah in that case it's a shame...there must be some of your kind of people at your uni, more just a case of finding them...which can't always be easy seeing as there are thousands of people there!
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ah in that case it's a shame...there must be some of your kind of people at your uni, more just a case of finding them...which can't always be easy seeing as there are thousands of people there!
Don't get me wrong I do have some really good friends, but it is just a shame the majority of the people I have met have not been my sort of people.

I don't think it helps that I don't drink and don't enjoy pubs/clubs. I am more a daytime kind of person that likes to go out for country walks, go to the beach, shopping, go for coffee, general relaxing etc. However, most people here just seem to want to get hammered every night and then spend all day recovering before doing it again. That to me is boring.

In addition, there seems to be very few academic people here. I know that seems a completely stupid thing to say, but people think you are strange if you want to work hard and do well. The dirty looks you get when you say you are revising is scary! lol
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That's one thing that gets on my nerves. I live with people that get up at 3pm !! :mad: even if I stay up til 3am I still seem to end up waking up at 8.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
That's one thing that gets on my nerves. I live with people that get up at 3pm !! :mad: even if I stay up til 3am I still seem to end up waking up at 8.
Yeah I am the same...I hate spending the day in bed, seems such a waste!
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
Yes!
pete77
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
BACK TO THE POINT YES UNI IS VERY VERY OVERHYPED ! COMPLETELY INFACT ! :rolleyes:
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think it is overrated at least a little bit. Don't get me wrong, I really like it here (most of the time) and I'm certainly glad I came, but it's not some non stop crazy amazing party or anything like that.

And yes I do seem to have more aquantainces than close friends, although that's improved a bit as the year's gone on. I guess I just haven't clicked with a lot of people I've met here, maybe cause a lot of them are the go out four times a week and get wasted type, and that just isn't me.
pete77
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Exactly thats the trend ! Hardly get good ppl in life !
dazednconfused
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The impression I was given before I got to uni was of a non-stop party where you meet your lifelong friends who understand you better than anyone else, blah blah blah... in that sense, yes, it was overhyped. But what it has given me is things I didn't expect - amazing feelings of independence and achievement, academic fulfilment, *so* many opportunities to do wildly different things than I've ever tried before... so overall, to me, it's been fantastic, just in a different way to all the 'hype'.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (293)
26.11%
Yes - they're famous (283)
25.22%
No I don't (546)
48.66%

Watched Threads