University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
This thread is closed

[split] Oxford with a 2.1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
One Man Clique
The prospectus says that it only accepts students "who achieved the very highest results in their graduating class"*. I don't think it is crazy to assume that implies students with a first.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate_courses/apply/application.html

No, it doesn't. It says that most successful applicants have performed at or near the very top of their graduating class. Which translates as: "quite a few got firsts, but some also got 2.1s".
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
One Man Clique
The prospectus says that it only accepts students "who achieved the very highest results in their graduating class"*. I don't think it is crazy to assume that implies students with a first.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate_courses/apply/application.html

Surely that depends on the standard of the year that you're in though? Only one person in my year group (about 35) got a first. So you're effectively saying the the people in my year group who were in the top 5 couldn't apply because they don't have firsts but instead very high 2:1s?

If you actually do some digging on the Oxford website and depending on subject, you'll find that it's not all about firsts. This is the postgrad History requirement:

"we hope applicants will attain average marks placing them in the top third of the 2.i class" which is 67 or above - same for Cambridge.
Reply 42
Adorno
But under your conditions that requires all those who have firsts to apply. They don't. Therefore, shock horror, people with degrees of classifications other than a first get in. Oxford isn't the be all and end all when it comes to postgraduate education.

:ditto:
Not to mention that, shock horror, some people who got 2.1s actually make perfectly decent postgrads, so there's no actual reason for Oxford to have a firsts-only admission policy. Except for a few extremely popular courses, but even there it's mainly to keep the number of applications at a reasonable level.
Of course it depends on the standard of the year and the type of degree you're on. I'm not saying Oxford only accepts UGs with a first. I'm just saying that if I read the page I linked, based on the degre I have, I would have assumed they were talking about first class.
Reply 44
One Man Clique
Of course it depends on the standard of the year and the type of degree you're on. I'm not saying Oxford only accepts UGs with a first. I'm just saying that if I read the page I linked, based on the degre I have, I would have assumed they were talking about first class.

But raw results don't actually tell you very much: references, for example, tell you a heck of a lot about a person because the writer has had a long experience of how the candidate has developed. Finals papers only provide a snap shot and are a flawed method of looking at things. Being at the "top of your class" requires a person to be a rounded applicant not just a statistically "good" applicant on the basis of raw marks.
Reply 45
1. Under what category? Wasteman refers to the individual, not his activities, or lack thereof.

2. Yes I do, for now I sleep.
Adorno
But raw results don't actually tell you very much: references, for example, tell you a heck of a lot about a person because the writer has had a long experience of how the candidate has developed. Finals papers only provide a snap shot and are a flawed method of looking at things. Being at the "top of your class" requires a person to be a rounded applicant not just a statistically "good" applicant on the basis of raw marks.

So by your reasoning a candidate with a third class degree but good references should be accepted to a postgrad course?
Reply 47
One Man Clique
So by your reasoning a candidate with a third class degree but good references should be accepted to a postgrad course?

Yes. Of course they should because the skills necessary for p/grad are not the same as for u/grad.

Latest