Turn on thread page Beta

Experimental psychology at Oxford. watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied for EP or knows anyone who has at Oxford who doesnt have any science at Alevel coz I have and im really worried I wont even be considered. Damn it why did english langlit call to me instead of biology!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah)
    Has anyone applied for EP or knows anyone who has at Oxford who doesnt have any science at Alevel coz I have and im really worried I wont even be considered. Damn it why did english langlit call to me instead of biology!
    YOU WONT GET IN IF EVERYONE ELSE WILL AHVE TAKEN BIOLOGY WHICH IS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT 4 PSYCHOLGOY THAN ENGLISH LIT, ESPECIALLY IF ITS EXPERIMENTAL.

SORRY, BUT YOU WILL BE AT A MAJOR DISADVANTAGE.

YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE BIOLOGY. REALLY WOULDVE HELPED

ReputationRep:
    Not good news unfortunately...

Exp Psych is VERY scientific here. I don't think its absolutely necessary to have a strong scientific background but most people studying it here have done biology, chemistry or maths A levels at least, I think.

I am just curious as to why you applied if you do not have science A levels - did you not read the course outline?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    Hannah where in Lancs are you from??? Which school/college???

ReputationRep:
    Ah well never mind. ive got psychology would that do instead? I didnt know i wanted to do psychology at uni until I started the subject at a level and it was too late to change by then you see.

ReputationRep:
    Ah well never mind. ive got psychology would that do instead? I didnt know i wanted to do psychology at uni until I started the subject at a level and it was too late to change by then you see.
    Psychology might help - as I say, most candidates will probably have a scientific background (most people I know in college doing EP are scientists, essentially), but if you can shine at interview and show them that you are scientifically capable in spite of the fact that you haven't done science A Level you may have a chance. It may also depend on the attitudes of individual tutors; which college have you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    I read the prospectus and it said candidates without science are considered. Also the girl in the prospectus did geography, english and psychology for her A levels. Maybe it was just wishful thinking. I go to a school in the ribble valley,(but find preston a delightful place to shop and go out in!!!!!!!!)

ReputationRep:
    I applied to st johns mainly because it said no preferences on the science alevels bit!

ReputationRep:
    I read the prospectus and it said candidates without science are considered. Also the girl in the prospectus did geography, english and psychology for her A levels. Maybe it was just wishful thinking. I go to a school in the ribble valley,(but find preston a delightful place to shop and go out in!!!!!!!!)
    Erm....Preston??? Nice??? OK then....

It should be fine. Just be aware that psychology here is science-based and therefore your interviews will probably reflect that. You may be at a slight disadvantage not having done science but if you go out to prove to the tutors that you are capable of performing well as a scientist you should be OK. Don't pin too many hopes on getting in though because it could be absolutely agonising if you didn't.

ReputationRep:
    Thanx ur really nice. I am trying to study biology outside of school and the teachers are helping me with it. If I do get an interview I'll try to show them im really interested in science and to make up for my lack of science alevels. If not well Id be happy to go to st andrews anyway. Thanks again mite see you in oxford if i get an interview.
    Come on preston is great its the tramps in the doorwyas that really give it that extra edge.
    x x x

ReputationRep:
    Thanx ur really nice. I am trying to study biology outside of school and the teachers are helping me with it. If I do get an interview I'll try to show them im really interested in science and to make up for my lack of science alevels. If not well Id be happy to go to st andrews anyway. Thanks again mite see you in oxford if i get an interview.
    Come on preston is great its the tramps in the doorwyas that really give it that extra edge.
    x x x
    Possibly - I think I will still be around in 9th week, but there won't be many students in Oxford because term ends soon. If you want you are quite welcome to private message/email me any questions and I will try to help.

[email protected]

ps there are LOOOOOAAAAAAAAADS of homeless people in Oxford too - there seems to be a huge disparity between the rich and the poor here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    scientifically capable in spite of the fact that you haven't done science A Level you may have a chance.
    HOW CAN YOU BE SCIENTIFICALLY CAPABLE IF YOU AHVENT DONE SCIENCE?

HOW CAN YOU HAVE A CHANCE OF GETTING IN IF PEOPLE WHO TOOK A SCIENCE, GOT FAB GRADES AND A GLWOING PEROSAL STATEMENT, ONLY AHVE A 40% CHANCE OF SUCCESS?

LITTLE "LIVING IN THE DREAM WORLD I THINK."

OXBRIDGE IS HARD ENOUGH WITHOUT TAKING A SCIENCE WHICH IS NEARLY AN ESSENTIAL A-LEVEL TO TAKE 4 THE DEGREE SPECIFIED.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RELAX)
    HOW CAN YOU BE SCIENTIFICALLY CAPABLE IF YOU AHVENT DONE SCIENCE?

HOW CAN YOU HAVE A CHANCE OF GETTING IN IF PEOPLE WHO TOOK A SCIENCE, GOT FAB GRADES AND A GLWOING PEROSAL STATEMENT, ONLY AHVE A 40% CHANCE OF SUCCESS?

LITTLE "LIVING IN THE DREAM WORLD I THINK."

OXBRIDGE IS HARD ENOUGH WITHOUT TAKING A SCIENCE WHICH IS NEARLY AN ESSENTIAL A-LEVEL TO TAKE 4 THE DEGREE SPECIFIED.
    Well she said that it isn't specified as necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Its all a bit hazy really. I quote from the oxford prospectus "this does not imply that the candidate must have training in science at school. Colleges accept candidates with Alevel combinations in both arts and science." "We are quite accustomed to accepting students who have little background in maths at school, and the course is designed so they can easily keep up." also their example student in the prospectus has no science or maths a levels. Any way theres no harm in trying im going to give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    I am applyin 2 do psychology and philosophy at St john's and at the open day they said they r more than happy for people with non-scientific subjects 2 apply. They r just as concerned with potenial as well as whether u do a science or not. By the way Oxford does count Psychology as a science. I talked 2 one of the members of the experimental psychology department and he said my subjects were no probs. By the way I do German, AVCE ICT, Psychology, Business Studies and Religous Studies, all at A2.

ReputationRep:
    cool i have applied to st johns so i might see you down there on interview day. Glad to know someone is in the same boat as me. I was really worried. I am doing psychology, german and french for alevel. i have had a practice interview and it was all about experiment design really which isnt too bad. Do you think they will ask really scientific physiology questions? I hope not but im studying biology (kind of just borrowed a text book from school so not really i suppose) on the side just in case. where else have you applied? Oh yeah and one more question why are you doing so many alevel subjects?

ReputationRep:
    They r no likely 2 ask too many science based questions. It'll be more about wot u wrote in ur personal statement. Mine was very open and there is a lot of things they can pick up on. I puposely wrote it like that as to give me some idea what the interview will be like. They will possibly ask about wot books u read + why + why u want 2 do psychology etc. Make sure ur aware of current issues in psychology as they r probs goin 2 pick up on thjat. Don't worry 2 much bout biology. I'm doin so many A-Levels cos I did very well in my AS's and so I thought I mite as well carry them all on. Workload is pretty good and I'm copin quite easily.

ReputationRep:
    Forgot 2 mention I'm also applyin 2 bristol, sheffield, st-andrews, warwick and durham. One offer AAB Sheffield - no rejections yet. Sent my form off 3rd Oct. U got a letter yet sayin u got an interview?

ReputationRep:
    i.m applying to st andrews warwick(got a place there) durham york and bath. I havent had aletter confirming interview just the one saying the interview dates for ep at st johns might change. But i went to visit the department and they said they tend to interview everyone who is predicted AAB or better and has a good reference so im hoping ive got an interview. If i do its like 2 and a bit weeks aaaargh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    ps there are LOOOOOAAAAAAAAADS of homeless people in Oxford too - there seems to be a huge disparity between the rich and the poor here.
    Especially St Michael's street, where you have the homeless shelter directly opposite The Oxford Union...

Sympathetic as I am, nothing pisses me off more than people coming up to you, blocking your path or when you're in a queue at the cashpoint, "Can you spare any change please?", especially when they've got a fag or lager can in their hand.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.